courier message - No Command map

Forum dedicated to the Scourge of War Game set during the Napoleonic Wars. Scourge of War: Waterloo follows in the footsteps of its American Civil War predecessors and takes the action to one of the most famous battles in history. It is by far the most detailed game about the final battle of the War of the Seventh Coalition.

Moderator: MOD_ScourgeofWarWaterloo

-pag-

courier message - No Command map

Post by -pag- »

Just got the SoW Waterloo collection. I’m trying to use the courier messaging screen system . The following quote is from the in-game help.
…”How to Compose a Courier Message”. One option, however deserves special mention: In the “Orders” section, after you have selected “Move to ….”, one of the options is “Move your unit to this Map Point” Selecting this option brings up the Command Map…...

The orders tab in my game just says “Move to … “. Then when I click on this , a list of map locations is shown, but doesn’t bring up the Command Map.
I’m guessing courier messaging screen does not allow the player to pick a map point, and doesn’t work or was never implemented like in SoW Gettysburg?

btw… I do know how to use the CM map for sending move orders directly. Everything else ok. I’m using no mods
Biondo

RE: courier message - No Command map

Post by Biondo »

Hi, that feature was never implemented. It's a shame because was so useful both in single and in multiplayer. Anyway, as you said, you can use the command map to have more or less the same result.
-pag-

Post by -pag- »

Thanks that clears it up. I thought it was a error I made in the Options. I didn’t notice any corrections or changes in a readme.

I really liked using the Courier Message Screen in the SOW civil war series. It was tricky to learn at first, but I liked the ability to chain commands and review them after sending. Also involves less clicking and adds to my immersion. So I would really like SoW Waterloo to work like that. I play SP HITS.

Here’s a work-around that I’ve been testing in SoW-W. The basic idea is to select the destination on the CM before composing the message. Seems work so far in SP HITS sandbox.

1. select addressee
2. press N -key ( Brings up Command map)
3. Set precise destination by clicking anywhere on the map ( CM immediately closes)
4. Press C-key (opens courier message screen and game pauses)
5. Compose the message normally and include everything except for the destination location because this already has been set in Step 3.
6. Send message

Here’s an example of a Dispatch sent from general Picton (9th division comdr) to general Kempt (8th brigade comdr)

…select Kempt, press “N” Opens the CM, then click final destination on CM, press “C” Opens courier message screen.

Time….
From….Picton
To: …Kempt
Execution Time…

Major General Sir James Kempt, Form your brigade into March Column, Use roads when applicable, Face your unit to the north upon Arrival, Form you brigade into a Line.

This single dispatch message results in Kempt’s Brigade (of 4 reg) Forming up, marching in column along a road to the map destination that was selected on the CM. Upon reaching the destination, Kempt turns his regiments to face north, and forming them into 3 battle lines with one held in reserve all perfectly spaced.

All this the AI does automatically by only sending one message.
Biondo

Post by Biondo »

Our group plays HITS & Couriers too[;)]

It's very immersive.

If you want to join you're welcome!

We just started a campaign.
-pag-

Post by -pag- »

Thanks. [:)] MP really must be fun and looks interesting. However My time is limited , and SP gaming works with the limited time I get to actually play. I’m trying to wrap my head around this new game . Similar to SoW civil war -yet different . MY knowledge of this era very limited. I have a whole new history to learn. [:)] One thing is certain I need to mod that “green” ground arrow, i.e. the one that shows facing. It’s impossible to see sometimes when playing HITS . I’m using the grog toolbar which is a lot better than the default , but will define my keys like I did for civil war eventually.
Biondo

Post by Biondo »

If you want to try out, here is the mod we use in our group, basically is a toolbar mod with a restricted fog of war and other graphical and sound stuff.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/16BXO6H ... yWKc7/view

And in the past I also made this small mod to change the pointer, and I'm keep using it.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-AuXn ... QsHOA93auw

About key I found very useful two things: the possibility to assign shortcuts using the numpad key and a key to move only the selected unit on the command map, without having all the subordinates moving together
-pag-

Post by -pag- »

The large blue-white pointer (arrow) included with your group’s Toolbar mod is perfect and is exactly what I need. Using this pointer I can now see where my unit points and facing > 300m. It’s significantly easier to see when locked near ground level HITS @2m. Thanks a-lot!

Return to “Scourge of War: Waterloo”