Odd Campaing start dates

In the age of Pike and Shot, mighty struggles erupted across Europe for causes religious, political or dynastic. The Thirty Years War raged across Germany and beyond, leaving devastation in its wake, but saw the rise of great commanders such as Count Tilly, Wallenstein and King Gustavus Adolphus of Sweden, and rapid developments in battlefield tactics.
vaalen

Odd Campaing start dates

Post by vaalen »

I have noticed that some of the Campaign scenarios do not start at the beginning of the war they cover, but later on. For example, the thirty years war campaign covering the Swedish intervention does not start when Gustavus began his campaign, but after his great victory at Breitenfield.

Similarly, the Imjin war does not start when the Japanese first invaded Korea, but begins with almost all of South Korea under Japanese control.

Is there some reason why these campaigns do not start at the beginning?
rbodleyscott

RE: Odd Campaing start dates

Post by rbodleyscott »

Well the short answer is yes. Remembering what that reason was may be harder.

I think in the case of Gustavus Adolphus it was because the Catholic armies were changed really radically after Breitenfeld. Although the campaign system allows army lists to switch as the campaign proceeds, as currently written it does not allow the whole existing army to be rapidly switched to different style units. That could of course have been added to the system, but we chose not to do so as it does present various problems.

In the case of the Imjin War, you would have to ask Jayson, but I think it was so that the Japanese had a reasonable number of provinces at the start of the campaign.
vaalen

RE: Odd Campaing start dates

Post by vaalen »

That makes sense. Thank you for the explanation.

Return to “Pike & Shot Series”