Field of glory ancients with this engine?

In the age of Pike and Shot, mighty struggles erupted across Europe for causes religious, political or dynastic. The Thirty Years War raged across Germany and beyond, leaving devastation in its wake, but saw the rise of great commanders such as Count Tilly, Wallenstein and King Gustavus Adolphus of Sweden, and rapid developments in battlefield tactics.
NZgunner

Field of glory ancients with this engine?

Post by NZgunner »

This game is what I wanted Field of Glory (which is still a good game) to be.

The unit graphics in particular give the mass effect that makes it look like a significant battle is taking place - every FoG game feels a bit like a skirmish because of the big sprites.

Are there any plans to use the engine to rework FoG ancients?
aaatoysandmore

RE: Field of glory ancients with this engine?

Post by aaatoysandmore »

I 2nd the nomination.
rbodleyscott

Post by rbodleyscott »

We are currently evaluating what will be next, but cannot announce anything yet.
djitters19

Post by djitters19 »

I agree, applying the Pike & shot engine to FoG would greatly improve it.
grab

Post by grab »

I agree, my first thought when I saw P&S was is it possible to mod for ancient units.
System, Intel i7-6700K @ 4.00GHz, Windows 10 Professional, 32 GB of RAM, NVidia GeForce GTX 980 Ti
76mm

Post by 76mm »

I'm passing on this game because I don't like this era, but I'd definitely buy an ancients game with this engine.

But that game would not be FoG, which is based on a particular ruleset (but that only a positive for me).
rbodleyscott

Post by rbodleyscott »

Ah well, we shall have to see.
jack54

Post by jack54 »

ORIGINAL: rbodleyscott

We are currently evaluating what will be next, but cannot announce anything yet.

I'm in... regardless[:)]

Ancients, Medieval, Nappy or dare I even mention 'Fantasy' (that would probably need a story board similar to BA 2 but it could be the best made to date.) IMHO
Avatar: Me borrowing Albert Ball's Nieuport 17

Counter from Bloody April by Terry Simo (GMT)
Wargamer Editor

Post by Wargamer Editor »

ORIGINAL: jack54

dare I even mention 'Fantasy' (that would probably need a story board similar to BA 2 but it could be the best made to date.) IMHO

Have a look at http://www.slitherine.com/games/hell_pc
Nik Gaukroger

Editor-in-Chief, Wargamer.com
nikg@wargamer.com
jack54

Post by jack54 »

ORIGINAL: Wargamer Editor

ORIGINAL: jack54

dare I even mention 'Fantasy' (that would probably need a story board similar to BA 2 but it could be the best made to date.) IMHO

Have a look at http://www.slitherine.com/games/hell_pc

Thanks... looks good! [:D]
Avatar: Me borrowing Albert Ball's Nieuport 17

Counter from Bloody April by Terry Simo (GMT)
siddious

Post by siddious »

I would much rather go forward towards 18th centuary and watch the musket evolve into napoleonics, then sure the FOG games can be redone using this engine
I want to see the new instead of having things redone, am sure this engine was not designed to enhance old games ,though within time i see no reason why not.

I have most FOG games myself and, no doubt this new engine will improve them all, but not yet.
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

I would much rather go "backwards" towards the ancients of ROME and watch swords and spears and Spartans and scythes of druids and naked fantical (females) hehe evolve in to The Rise and Fall of the Roman Empire. [:D] FOG games can be redone and SHOULD be redone using this engine. I want to see the OLD instead of the boring new age of muskets and rifles and boring military tactics that aren't as much fun as the old. I am SURE this engine WAS designed to enchance old games and soon. [:'(]

I have most FOG games myself and, no doubt this new engine will improve them all and SOON don't wait. [:D]
76mm

Post by 76mm »

ORIGINAL: siddious
...sure the FOG games can be redone using this engine
I want to see the new instead of having things redone, am sure this engine was not designed to enhance old games ,though within time i see no reason why not.

I have most FOG games myself and, no doubt this new engine will improve them all, but not yet.

the FOG games cannot be "redone" with this engine because the FOG games are based on a particular tabletop ruleset. Therefore any ancient warfare game based on this engine would not be "redoing" or "improving" or "enhancing" the FOG games, it would be a totally different game.

Personally I have no interest in the musket period and am hoping for a quick expansion into ancient warfare with this engine.
MasterChief

Post by MasterChief »

Going with the ancient and medieval on this one! Love those periods and this game system is just the ticket!
Chief of the Watch... Over the 1MC, pass the word... "DIVE!" "DIVE!"... sound two blasts of the Diving Alarm ... and pass the word, "DIVE! "DIVE!"
jomni

Post by jomni »

ORIGINAL: 76mm

ORIGINAL: siddious
...sure the FOG games can be redone using this engine

the FOG games cannot be "redone" with this engine because the FOG games are based on a particular tabletop ruleset. Therefore any ancient warfare game based on this engine would not be "redoing" or "improving" or "enhancing" the FOG games, it would be a totally different game.

Yeah. P&S is a derivative of FOG: Renaissance but it is not called FOG because they changed some stuff to suit the engine. The other FOG game is called FOG because the engine was built from ground up to cater to FOG rules.
Alan Sharif

Post by Alan Sharif »

I will buy any historical era using this engine, so its a win-win for me. I really cannot believe how much fun this game has made the Pike and Shot era. Looking forward to all future games.
A Sharif
Wolfe1759

Post by Wolfe1759 »

It appears that the whole Battle Academy series/engine (BA1, BA2, P&S and Hell) will be discontinued so I wouldn't get your hopes up [:(]

http://www.wargamer.com/Article/10196

"In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill." - Winston Churchill
Alan Sharif

Post by Alan Sharif »

I believe it is only BA that has been discontinued, and only by Matrix staff. They could farm out future development to a third party should they choose, and should a third party be interested. This is exactly what has happened with Pike and Shot, so the future of this game will not/should not be impacted IMO.
A Sharif
VPaulus

Post by VPaulus »

ORIGINAL: Wolfe

It appears that the whole Battle Academy series/engine (BA1, BA2, P&S and Hell) will be discontinued so I wouldn't get your hopes up [:(]

http://www.wargamer.com/Article/10196

http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtop ... 99&t=65703
jomni

Post by jomni »

Did you know that Pike & Shot Gold is being developed? And it will have a strategic map, logistics, persistent units, etc...

Return to “Pike & Shot Series”