Pike & Shot is now available!

In the age of Pike and Shot, mighty struggles erupted across Europe for causes religious, political or dynastic. The Thirty Years War raged across Germany and beyond, leaving devastation in its wake, but saw the rise of great commanders such as Count Tilly, Wallenstein and King Gustavus Adolphus of Sweden, and rapid developments in battlefield tactics.
sukhoi

Pike & Shot is now available!

Post by sukhoi »

[center]Image[/center]

"Not only strike while the iron is hot, but make it hot by striking.” (Oliver Cromwell – English military and political leader)

In the age of Pike and Shot, mighty struggles erupted across Europe for religious, political or dynastic causes. The greatest powers of that period were regularly involved in conflicts and struggles to increase their dominance over the continent. Some countries have also to deal with inner tensions and are torn apart between factions. War is in the air. But war has changed. Due to the development of new technologies, traditional medieval tactics have been substituted with a totally different approach to effectively utilise the new formations and weapons.

In these troubled times musketeers “gave fire” in a duel to the death, pikemen held stolidly against enemy assaults, and cavalry charged to glory or defeat. You can march in the footsteps of the great leaders of The Thirty Years War, Italian Wars and the English Civil War and refight some of the greatest battles of the Renaissance. With its 30 full-sized historical battles, its random map and scenario generator, its easy-to-use PBEM++ multiplayer system and its gameplay simulating accurately the tactics of the period, Pike & Shot will thrill any history buff and fans of tactical challenges!

Pike & Shot features 30 historical scenarios that cover the main battles of three of the most important conflicts of the 16th and 17th centuries:

[*]The Thirty Years’ War (1616-1648)
Pilgram-Lomnitz, 1618; White Mountain, 1620; Wimpfen, 1622; Lutter, 1626; First Breitenfeld, 1631; Lutzen, 1632; First Nordlingen, 1634; Wittstock, 1636; Second Breitenfeld, 1642; Roccoi, 1643

[*]The English Civil War (1642-1651)
Stratton, 1643; Adwalton Moor, 1643; Edgehill, 1642; Storming of Bristol, 1643; Nantwich, 1644; Cheriton, 1644; Marston Moor, 1644; Lostwithiel, 1644; Second Newbury, 1644; Naseby, 1645

[*]The Great Italian Wars (1494-1559)
Seminara, 1495; Fornova, 1495; Ravenna, 1512; Novarra, 1513; Marignano, 1515; Bicocca, 1522; Pavia, 1525; Ceresole, 1544; St. Quentin, 1557; Gravelines, 1558.

Today we have the pleasure to announce that the game is finally released and available on our store! In order to celebrate this important milestone, we are offering a $10 discount to the early adopters during the week of the launch!

We are also going to offer a free Steam key to anyone who bought a copy of the game from the Matrix Games or Slitherine store, once the game is available on this digital platform!

Get more information on Pike & Shot from its official product page and its live presentation on the official Slitherine Group Twitch channel.

newmanovci

RE: Pike & Shot is now available!

Post by newmanovci »

Cross-posting this from general Matrix announcements...

A definite buy for me too. I was already going to buy this for the 17th Century stuff. But then I read further and saw the Italian Wars too!

One thing though (and I wish there were an obvious place to convey this to Matrix) I won't be buying for a while yet. I have a queue of other games I'm either working through, or planning to work through. And Revolution Under Siege is ahead of P&S I'm afraid. With Pride of Nations in the running too. Oh and War in the West [:)]. I need to get to retirement soon, so I have time to play all these games!
VegasOZ

Post by VegasOZ »

My problem with this game is very basic and probably not a fair complaint, but I do NOT like the unit graphics at all. They look like a bunch of "bales of Hay" on the battlefield. Is this game subject to mods? Will modders be able to revise the unit/icon graphics? Why was it decided to make the Pikes look like a tightly bunched bale of hay?
FroBodine

Post by FroBodine »

Yeah OZ, I have to agree with you. I really don't like the look of the infantry, either. I guess it is supposed to be a bunch of pikes sticking up, but it really does look horrible. I don't need fancy graphics, but this is just not a good look, especially since they do not animate ever, and always just stick straight up.

Oh well, the game is very fun, though. Don't let this stop you from buying it.
rbodleyscott

Post by rbodleyscott »

ORIGINAL: VegasOZ

My problem with this game is very basic and probably not a fair complaint, but I do NOT like the unit graphics at all. They look like a bunch of "bales of Hay" on the battlefield. Is this game subject to mods? Will modders be able to revise the unit/icon graphics? Why was it decided to make the Pikes look like a tightly bunched bale of hay?

The idea was to emulate contemporary depictions of battles. e.g.

Attachments
Schlacht_a.._CK_063.jpg
Schlacht_a.._CK_063.jpg (136.99 KiB) Viewed 560 times
rbodleyscott

Post by rbodleyscott »

or

Attachments
640pxWhit..600x754.jpg
640pxWhit..600x754.jpg (169.23 KiB) Viewed 559 times
rbodleyscott

Post by rbodleyscott »

or

Attachments
Breitenfeld.jpg
Breitenfeld.jpg (164.16 KiB) Viewed 558 times
FroBodine

Post by FroBodine »

Nice! Well, you certainly did emulate those depictions very well! I guess I just have to get used to them. It's really no big deal.

They do just look a bunch of men carrying huge bales of hay. But, if that's how they looked, then I'm on board! :o)
VegasOZ

Post by VegasOZ »

Thanks for posting the period illustrations. That at least explains where the look came from.

Taste is a funny thing, that is for sure. For example: I play Eagle Day (Battle of Britain) with the graphics set to the plain boxes with trails because the plane icons or the "roundels" are too cluttered during a battle. The point is that there is NO graphics appeal whatsoever, but it works to portray the battle of many aircraft in a small space of the sky. I generally prefer "content" to eye candy. But, if Eye Candy is offered then it has to be somewhat attractive or it puts me off. By the same example I will not play Borderlands (reputed to be an excellent game) because I simply do not want those stupid graphic characters even showing up on my screen in case somebody that knows me walks by... LOL

So, my question remains... Will it be possible to mod the unit graphics at some point in the future?

Unit mods are quite common in a lot of games these days.
VegasOZ

Post by VegasOZ »

I just made the mistake of watching the Video on the Twitch thing.

As soon as I saw the sequential/ripple fire of the Cannons...Ah, er... hmmmm

Well, I'm off to move my "bales of Hay" around... CYA L8tr

Damned Videos...
VegasOZ

Post by VegasOZ »

Best darned "Bales of Hay" game ever produced... LOL

Just played a Skirmish game.

Ok, I was TOTALLY WRONG about this game.

IT ROCKS...
rbodleyscott

Post by rbodleyscott »

ORIGINAL: VegasOZ

Best darned "Bales of Hay" game ever produced... LOL

Just played a Skirmish game.

Ok, I was TOTALLY WRONG about this game.

IT ROCKS...

And to answer your question, yes the graphics can be modded.

Return to “Pike & Shot Series”