Dev Diary #1: First Patch and Future Plans!

From the dawn of history to the Roman Civil Wars, from Iberia to Cyprus, revive the ancient naval battles of the Mediterranean
fornost

Dev Diary #1: First Patch and Future Plans!

Post by fornost »

Hello everyone! My name is Alejandro and I have joined Turnopia for its latest games as a Backend Developer, so if you find any nasty bug in things like saved games or multiplayer, you now know who is to be blamed.

First of all we want to thank all the buyers and supporters of Mare Nostrvm, especially all the ones that have joined us on the forums and given a lot of constructive feedback. We are very happy that most of you have found the game interesting and challenging.

I am also happy to announce that a first patch is already being tested and will be released pretty soon!!. As the game has presented few bugs so far, besides fixing them we have been able to introduce some improvements that I’m sure you will like.

Following, I’d like to highlight some of them:
- We have added a new in game configuration screen where you will be able to change the graphic settings, including playing in windowed mode, as well the sound volume and music.
- While in battle, you now can use the Tab key to select your closest ship to the cursor position that can be given orders, and if you press it again and it will circle through the next ships around. This will make much easier to identify your ships without orders.
- Now static ships between two hexes could be rammed or grappled in bow against bow and bow against stern collisions.

And finally I also wanted to tell you about our future plans. We are considering other suggestions and concerns about the gameplay, but we know we cannot please everybody, and you know that adding mechanics to a core set might give worse results than expected, so we want to study and test them with patience.

What I have already started to work on and will be definitively included in the next patch will be the possibility to select AI ships in Skirmish battles, as a first step to create a full in game scenario editor, which will come a bit later. Some other things we are considering for a later patch or DLC are hotseat and some UI changes. And I hope we can have a Tournament soon after the patch release!

That will be all for today, thanks for reading and stay tuned for the patch release with the full changelog :)
TURNOPIA DEVELOPER
76mm

RE: Dev Diary #1: First Patch and Future Plans!

Post by 76mm »

Great news Alejandro, thanks.

Maybe I'm alone in this, but I'm still struggling a bit with the camera controls...any chance of getting a more standard approach at some point (basically right-click hold to rotate/tilt)?

Also, thing about fixing the issue of entire columns of ships getting stuck if not in a hex center? I don't know much about tactics in this era, but I'd be surprised if ships did not move in column during some maneuvers...
fornost

Post by fornost »

I think there are some changes about camera controls in the patch already. About the columns of ships getting stuck, it's one of the things that need some though. We have considered the option of "anticipating" if the ship in front movement is going to be interrupted to stop the next ship, but it involved a complex "checking the future" method and the result seemed artificial, so I think it needs a deeper study.
TURNOPIA DEVELOPER
SnuggleBunnies

Post by SnuggleBunnies »

Great news, these sound like solid additions to the game.
jack54

Post by jack54 »

Thank you sounds great...
Avatar: Me borrowing Albert Ball's Nieuport 17

Counter from Bloody April by Terry Simo (GMT)
Jafele

Post by Jafele »

Sounds fantastic! I smell a great game here...[:)]
Las batallas contra las mujeres son las únicas que se ganan huyendo.

NAPOLEÓN BONAPARTE

Cuando el necio oye la verdad se carcajea, porque si no lo hiciera la verdad no sería la verdad.

LAO TSE
gabeeg

Post by gabeeg »

I'm really looking forward to the patch, future patches and potential DLC! I think this game is a good framework for future expansion.
Kind Regards,

Harry
eddieballgame

Post by eddieballgame »

great news
woos1981

Post by woos1981 »

Dear fornost, In the future is it possible to add Map editer in this game? I think it will make this good game great again! Thank you for your Great works!
phamyen

Post by phamyen »

Thanks for sharing this useful info
woos1981

Post by woos1981 »

I'm just curious How about the update going? It seems two years past no new version about this game.Was the game abandoned by the developers?
Malatesta

Post by Malatesta »

ORIGINAL: fornost

Hello everyone! My name is Alejandro and I have joined Turnopia for its latest games as a Backend Developer, so if you find any nasty bug in things like saved games or multiplayer, you now know who is to be blamed.

First of all we want to thank all the buyers and supporters of Mare Nostrvm, especially all the ones that have joined us on the forums and given a lot of constructive feedback. We are very happy that most of you have found the game interesting and challenging.

I am also happy to announce that a first patch is already being tested and will be released pretty soon!!. As the game has presented few bugs so far, besides fixing them we have been able to introduce some improvements that I’m sure you will like.

Following, I’d like to highlight some of them:
- We have added a new in game configuration screen where you will be able to change the graphic settings, including playing in windowed mode, as well the sound volume and music.
- While in battle, you now can use the Tab key to select your closest ship to the cursor position that can be given orders, and if you press it again and it will circle through the next ships around. This will make much easier to identify your ships without orders.
- Now static ships between two hexes could be rammed or grappled in bow against bow and bow against stern collisions.

And finally I also wanted to tell you about our future plans. We are considering other suggestions and concerns about the gameplay, but we know we cannot please everybody, and you know that adding mechanics to a core set might give worse results than expected, so we want to study and test them with patience.

What I have already started to work on and will be definitively included in the next patch will be the possibility to select AI ships in Skirmish battles, as a first step to create a full in game scenario editor, which will come a bit later. Some other things we are considering for a later patch or DLC are hotseat and some UI changes. And I hope we can have a Tournament soon after the patch release!

That will be all for today, thanks for reading and stay tuned for the patch release with the full changelog :)

Hi, Alejandro! Some news? Your game system would be ideal for galley warfare in the XVI century ;-)

Return to “Mare Nostrvm”