unit (v)iew display (version after 1.030)

This forum is only for bug reports and comments relating to the limited public beta update, now available through the Members' Area.

Moderator: MOD_GGWaW_2

WanderingHead

unit (v)iew display (version after 1.030)

Post by WanderingHead »

(starting thread)

Any comments on the unit view display?

Right now it looks like the given picture. National capability offsets are displayed as can be seen for the Italian sub.

Note that this display can only be seen for your own units, since you have to select the unit before you hit "v".

Attachments
unit_popup.jpg
unit_popup.jpg (31.42 KiB) Viewed 240 times
runyan99

RE: unit (v)iew display (version after 1.030)

Post by runyan99 »

Looks clear to me.
Marshall Art

Post by Marshall Art »

Few questions / ideas:

Shouldn't it read "unit last repaired" since this can occur multiple times - assuming the last repair is tracked?

Which unit is displayed if two similar units are summarized just lik eto two infantry units in the screen above? Only one set of information can be displayed then, or how could one access the other unit's stats?

One feature I liked in the good old Panzer General was to know when and where a unit gained vet or elite status (e.g. Poland - Summer 1939). Could this be displayed here as well? Cool to have a unit which has the star of Sevastopol '42 or that of D-Day '44 attached in the info screen...
Lucky1

Post by Lucky1 »

While I do understand the nostalgia dimension of seeing how units progressed in their wartime career (kinda fun, I think), I wonder whether the unit view display might also be an appropriate place to display a unit's specific attributes. For example, under the proposed implementation of national unit production / penalites, a large number of units will be subject to -1 modifiers (e.g.,  to all combat attributes except range, resilience, armour and production time). So, using the example of artillery, a German unit at the beginning of the game would have 7 land attack and 5 evasion. An Italian artillery would then have 6 land attack and 4 evasion, right? Not really.... Wanderinghead has mentioned that the penalty will never bring a country below neutral country values. So, an Italian unit would actually have a land attack of 6 and an evasion of 5 -- the neutral value for artillery evasion is 5. (Interestingly, while playtesting it was actually the first time I ever really paid attention to neutral country values in the unit intelligence screen.) My question here is do we wish for the unit information screen to be more nostalgia-based or functional (or both). I have no problem with the former and am just wondering whether it might be desirable to display functional issues such as attack values or whether the unit cannot contribute to CAM (e.g. Sgt. Rice raised the possibility that some or all Italian units might not contribute to creating/negating CAM conditions). The advantage of a purely nostalgia-based screen is lack of clutter and clarity of purpose.  The advantage of more functional information is that this would provide immediate unit specific stats relevant to deciding whether to commit a unit to battle or other areas. This would become more important if (in the future) individual national/unit attributes are modded beyond the across the board -1 or -2 currently being contemplated.

I suppose that, without the functional information, one would quickly enough remember to check the neutral country attributes.....

Return to “Limited Public Beta Feedback”