Japanese starting strategies?

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers.

Moderator: MOD_GGWaW_2

CarnageINC

Japanese starting strategies?

Post by CarnageINC »

I've went ahead and bought it [:D] Anyways, I'm having difficulty in coming up with how to play the Japanese. I have not a clue on a good starting strategy. I guess you either have to invest in taking China or invest in taking as much of the Pacific you can. China seems a waste IMO....I'm I wrong? Any helpful suggestions would be great...even if its only from one or two posters. [:(]
Bo Rearguard

RE: Japanese starting strategies?

Post by Bo Rearguard »

It seems to be a common opening for Japan to start with taking Foochow in China, basically by throwing everything, including carrier power at it. Then after repairing the resource there, most player engage in the aerial bombing of inland Chinese infrastructure (rail, industry) while biding their time ( and doing their research)for an attack on either Russia or the US. Not only does this bombing keep China's numbers tamped down, it also gives you the odd veteran or elite air unit.
"They couldn't hit an elephant at this dist ...." Union General John Sedgwick, 1864
Bo Rearguard

Post by Bo Rearguard »

A tip when bombing inland China. Re-base your carrier air groups on land. It increases their modest range. If you wish to take the region of Luichow on turn two, try to knock out the rail first with air, and deprive the enemy of the defensive rail bonus.
"They couldn't hit an elephant at this dist ...." Union General John Sedgwick, 1864
Lebatron

Post by Lebatron »

Bo gave the right advice. China can be a quagmire. Best to kill their industry by air than to use a land force. I don't recall off the top of my head if you lose some US assistance if you take more than Foochow. In Deluxe AWD anything beyond Foochow costs you 3 resource gift points. Taking 2 areas will erase the whole 6 point gift from the US. The penalty is to high to make it worthwhile. Of coarse, once the gift runs out in the summer of 41 you could enter China without any penalty. Again this is only viable if you are not engaged in a Pacific war with the US. Doing China is usually done in tandem with attacking Russia. Once Russia has crumbled Japan's army can turn to knocking out China.
Jesse LeBreton, AKA Lebatron
Development team- GG's WAW A World Divided
Lebatron

Post by Lebatron »

You need at least 18 transports to have an effective first few turns right after Pearl Harbor in either fall41 or winter42. You need this many and a whole lot of supply to pull off a quick conquest and repair of the resource rich islands. If you don't prepare well your industrial growth will creep up much to slowly. If pulled off well you can hit 21-22 production on the turn you attack the US in say fall41. Then hit the full 24PP's the next turn after that. You got to master the art of supply prep to really pull that off though. The supply game is a pretty deep layer of strategy in this game. However I would imagine that since you just got the game you are probably playing with simple supply. Then of coarse you would not need as many transports and all the supply you need to repair doesn't need to be moved. You should once you get comfortable turn on advanced supply though because the game is so much better then. No more unrealistic ship voyages, and army super stacks going deep into enemy territory where they would be cut off from supply but due to simple supply get away with the impossible.
Torplexed

Post by Torplexed »

When playing as Japan don't be surprised if you find yourself with too few resources to feed your industry for the first few turns. This is common when Japanese industry expands and there isn't much you can do about it that doesn't bring a lot of trouble on your head early on. Try to have a transport in the Gulf of Siam to pick up Thailand's resource when they trade. Plus, be wary of the militia rules when taking Chinese provinces. An area can look deceivingly empty, but depending on the population will generate some militia the moment you invade, thus changing the odds. Always take that into account. Another reason a land war in Asia is best avoided while the US is still providing free trade resources.
CarnageINC

Post by CarnageINC »

Excellent suggestions, thank for the help. The resource and supply thing has been my bane since I started playing Japan. I didn't know I needed transports to haul back resources! Thanks a lot for that tip [:)]
rjh1971

Post by rjh1971 »

ORIGINAL: CarnageINC

I've went ahead and bought it [:D] Anyways, I'm having difficulty in coming up with how to play the Japanese. I have not a clue on a good starting strategy. I guess you either have to invest in taking China or invest in taking as much of the Pacific you can. China seems a waste IMO....I'm I wrong? Any helpful suggestions would be great...even if its only from one or two posters. [:(]

Ha, ha you finally bought it, let me tell you you won't regret it, specially once you get into pbem, man it is an absorbing game you'll be eagerly waiting for your opponent's turn...

Almost everything has been said with Japanese strategy, I like attacking the west coast rather than PH, for that I upgrade evasion, air attack and torpedo attack on japs CAG, this has been changed in AWD Deluxe so upgrading torpedoes is prohibitive. Nonetheless you may catch your opponent unprepared for an attack on the West Coast and sink both CV, you then move your CVs to PH area and go for the Pacific Fleet, your opponent will propbably move it out thus getting it all damaged due to op fire. Tip you can use your CV to sink transports on the way to PH after the attack on the West Coast.

If you go for Russia don't forget to build an armour unit so you get the combined arm bonus, meanwhile blast those chinese factories it will force the Chinese player to spend his precious supply on repairs.

Glad to see the forum somewhat alive again [8D]
GG's AWD, GG's WBTS, GG's WitE Beta Tester
Beta Tester: Panzer Corps, Time of Fury, CtGW, DC CB, DC3 Barbarossa, SC WWII WiE, SC WWII WaW, SC WWI
Shellshock

Post by Shellshock »

ORIGINAL: CarnageINC

Excellent suggestions, thank for the help. The resource and supply thing has been my bane since I started playing Japan. I didn't know I needed transports to haul back resources! Thanks a lot for that tip [:)]

One other tactic you can employ with transports is that movement from an island port to the adjacent sea area is done at no cost. It is possible for Transport Fleets to move out to sea from an island port, use their strategic capacity to the max, and then scoot back into port when done even if they have zero movement factors left. This is effective for protecting transports from sub or air attack during your opponent's turn. Unfortunately, for Japan this capability exists only at Truk and Rabaul (or Okinawa if you are playing Lebatron's Deluxe version of the game.)

Japan is a difficult nation to play. You have to keep up an army, an air force and a large navy. Germany with far more resources and industry really only has to concentrate on a powerful land army and an air force to support it with a bit on the side for U-boats. As Japan there is rarely much left over for fighting the Signit war. As Japan I always aim for an eventual link-up with the Germans either by pushing through Russia, or moving west through India and Pakistan and turning the Indian Ocean into an Axis lake.
CarnageINC

Post by CarnageINC »

All great info! Thanks for the replies.
Lebatron

Post by Lebatron »

And when you're ready for really great gameplay use the opponents wanted section to play via email. There are plenty of very friendly AWD fans who will answer all your questions and show you how to play the game better though example. You really haven't seen how deep strategy can get until you play a real person. The AI is really only good enough for beginners and makes stupid mistakes you won't see a human make.

Return to “The War Room”