Mistakes to avoid (Turn 1)

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers.

Moderator: MOD_GGWaW_2

Forwarn45

RE: Mistakes to avoid (Turn 1)

Post by Forwarn45 »

ORIGINAL: christian brown

What the F are you guys talking about?
Where is the disadvantage? 

As noted by GKar, the German troops will be more vulnerable to a counterattack in Fall if France has been substantially reinforced. The Allied troops may have increased in quality by that point. The Germans might not be at 6 evasion yet. If they aren't, that will hurt in case of Allied attack in Fall and Germany's own attack in Winter. Plus the Allies will get the winter bonus if attacked by Germany in winter - making their fort, in particular, very tough and even West France somewhat defensible. Maybe I'm missing something -- but I don't think an attempt to take France in Winter is a guaranteed success in every case and there are substantial potential costs to trying it (albeit substantial benefits as you noted). It will probably cost more in manpower, which could affect German's plans.

Anyway, I don't disagree it can be a good strategy. And if it always works for you, keep doing it. I just wanted to challenge your assumption everybody does it! [;)] One or two of the still few people I have played with - who I think are good players - didn't do it. It could be coming in every game, but we'll see.

EDIT: There is also the factor of Soviet war readiness - if France falls in Winter, this (plus the other war readiness increases so far) can be enough for the Soviets to reach the 2x production multiplier a turn earlier than they otherwise would if France falls in Spring.
christian brown

Post by christian brown »

OK, fair enough about the Winter rule but hey, is taking E France (I.E; the place you only need to repair one factory in and automatically get the production in W France right away) worth the cost?  Absolutely IMHO. Remember also that if Italy activates that is one more PRECIOUS turn of ops in the Med before Barbarossa.....3-4 destroyed/damaged units simply do not compare.....
"Those who would give up a little liberty for a little security deserve neither and will lose both."
~ Thomas Jefferson
Bo Rearguard

Post by Bo Rearguard »

ORIGINAL: Protagonist

UPDATED: Removed mistaken hint.

I wanted to make a list of the really small things that you can avoid forgetting in the first turn that would cost you. When you see the list you will understand the type of things I mean. This is not necessarily a strategic list but rather a procedural list.

GERMANY

1. If you are going to invest in SIGINT, do it before your first battle so you get the benefit of it throughout the turn.

2. Before you attack Western Poland, bring out your Transport to the Baltic Sea first. If you fail, your damaged units from East Prussia will be destroyed without a Factory link. Fail on a Western Poland attack you say! Well, it is hard to do, but you will want the Transport out there anyway for another reason to be mentioned later.

3. There is no real reason to bring your fighters into the attack on Western Poland. When facing flak, they will choose non-fighters first so you cannot bring fighters for cover (taking fire). Flak can fire at 2 aircraft per flak but only get the +2 bonus when flak outnumber aircraft, not firing capability outnumbers targets. Also, only your flak (if brought in), can fire on the bomber in Western Poland and that bomber will participate in combat if it survives past the Ground vs Air phase.

4. Make sure you have at least 1 Transport in the Baltic Sea at the end of your turn or you will not get Free Trade from Norway (if applicable), Sweden, or Finland. You do not need a Transport in Kattegat to get Free Trade from Norway, or Gulf of Finland to get Free Trade from Finland. It will all flow through Sweden if you have one in the Baltic Sea.

5. Repair the factory in Western Poland to get its use next turn. With Free Trade and the slight surplus, it is up to you whether you want to repair the resources now.

6. Move your tanks back to Eastern Germany using their second move after the battle in Western Poland if you used them there. This way they are available immediately to threaten The Low Countries, Eastern France, and defend Denmark if you took it, along with the tank built in Czechoslovakia.

7. Leave 1 supply within 1 region of Western Poland to be used up for Partisan activity.

8. If you took Denmark, Artillery, Tactical or Heavy Bombers, and AA are options to help protect it from invasion and also protect the inland waterway.

9. One early way to try and get your Heavy Fleet Veteran status is to use it on the Western Poland attack for bombardment. This also lessens casualties for the cost of 1 supply.

10. Your lone Veteran sub is heartier than you think and using it now gives it the best chance to get to Elite.

A Great List! I would add that scrapping the Heavy Fleet in the production spiral slated for completion in Spring '41 is probably a must for Germany. The resources that would be tied up in it's construction are better spent elsewhere.
"They couldn't hit an elephant at this dist ...." Union General John Sedgwick, 1864
Nami Koshino

Post by Nami Koshino »

ORIGINAL: Bo Rearguard

A Great List! I would add that scrapping the Heavy Fleet in the production spiral slated for completion in Spring '41 is probably a must for Germany. The resources that would be tied up in it's construction are better spent elsewhere.

You don't have to scrap the fleet. Just put it on hold. You don't get half the resources invested in it rounded down, but generally Germany isn't too hard pressed for resources.

However, when playing as Japan I almost always disband the heavy fleet in production at Honshu on the first turn. It's hard enough to find supplies to keep all the carriers and their attendant air groups moving and Japan is always resource hungry at this point in the game. As in the real war, additional battleships don't help Japan much.
Rice is a great snack when you're hungry and you want 2,000 of something to eat.
AlbertN

Post by AlbertN »

For TLC I always seize them in Winter. I produce 4 Infantries in West Germany (so they pop in Winter), and have the needed 3 turns to pump Evasion for Infantry up to 6.
It greatly helps against Allies counterattack which indeed can seize West Germany or damage greatly your forces.

Hence no need to ship tanks back to E.Germ from Poland. (2 more supplies wasted).
avgard

Post by avgard »

I do not know if you guys have been playing this game lately but a smart German player can take out France
on Turn 2 or if France is defended by the addition of the BEF then Turn 3. France has to be lucky to last to
Summer 1940.
Zecke

Post by Zecke »

i played this game and the axis always win..BUT we need this game mixed with this marvellous game (see the LINK)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHhrAcg2vFM

(its also in CD)
Epsilon Eridani

Return to “The War Room”