Great discovery- trick to increase resolution

Gary Grigsby’s World at War is back with a whole new set of features. World at War: A World Divided still gives complete control over the production, research and military strategy for your side, but in this new updated version you’ll also be able to bring spies into the mix as well as neutral country diplomacy, variable political events and much more. Perhaps the largest item is the ability to play a special Soviet vs. Allies scenario that occurs after the end of World War II.

Moderator: MOD_GGWaW_2

Lebatron

Great discovery- trick to increase resolution

Post by Lebatron »

That's right I just discovered a way to fool the display driver to run the game at 1280x1024! Will post more when I can fiqure out my exact steps again. What this tells me is that the game could display at any res including wide screens too. All that's needed is to turn it on officially in the game. In the pic notice the blue area past the menu. This was all extra map being displayed. Cool hey.

Attachments
Capture11..49.19PM.jpg
Capture11..49.19PM.jpg (181.38 KiB) Viewed 1119 times
Jesse LeBreton, AKA Lebatron
Development team- GG's WAW A World Divided
christian brown

RE: Great discovery- trick to increase resolution

Post by christian brown »

Bloody awesome.......
"Those who would give up a little liberty for a little security deserve neither and will lose both."
~ Thomas Jefferson
Lebatron

Post by Lebatron »

I was able to recreate it!

Steps to get AWD to display at your full resolution in windowed mode.
1. Set desktop to 1042x768
2. Start game up in windowed mode.
3. Set desktop back to your preferred res. Do not minimize game, instead move window to right click on desktop. This is why it works.
4. The games window will now take up the full screen. You may see some artifacts. Ignor and start the scenario.
5. Viola. Game map is now whatever res you make it.

If this works for others. Sticky it!

Edit:
To eliminate the scrolling when you exit the 1024x768 phantom window area use these steps instead.

1. Start game in windowed mode at your normal desktop res. Basically I'm saying not to do the old first step.
2. Once at the games main menu change your destop res to 1024x768. Simplest to right click somewhere on desktop.
3. Now move aside the main menu a little so you can right click on desktop to change back to your prefered res.
4. Now move the main menu back to center it. You will notice the main menu shrink at this point.
5. Start your scenario, or load saved game, and you will be taken to the larger game map.

The major difference in these steps from my previous ones is that here you start the game at your preferred res. Before I had directed you guys to first set the desktop to 1024x768. Apparently that was creating the phantom window scrolling effect. In my case, when I start the game at 1280x1024, then drop the res, this scrollin problem goes away. Would others please confirm. Thanks.
Lebatron

Post by Lebatron »

For the moment I am accepting pats on the back. Go ahead pat pat pat away[:D]
GKar

Post by GKar »

Works for me! [8D]
*pats Lebatron on the back*

The only thing is, the map starts scrolling as soon as you leave the "standard" window size.

(Sorry for the poor quality, max file size is 200 KB.)

Attachments
AWD4.jpg
AWD4.jpg (196.78 KiB) Viewed 1106 times
Lebatron

Post by Lebatron »

I noticed the scrolling once your beyond the original 1024x768 window too. What res you got there? I'm hoping this works for wide screen users too. 
GKar

Post by GKar »

This is 1280x1024, best and maximum resolution for my (somewhat old) 17'' flat screen.
SGT Rice

Post by SGT Rice »

This is fabulous; I can see half the map in a single screen (screen capture file too large to post). You're my hero GKar.
GG A World Divided Playtester
GKar

Post by GKar »

Actually it was Lebatron who found out about it, I was just the first to confirm. [;)]

What screen resolution are you using?
SGT Rice

Post by SGT Rice »

Corrections; Jesse's my hero.

I'm using 1280x1024 on a 20" flat panel. Now, let's see what happens when I plug the video cable into the plasma big screen ...
christian brown

Post by christian brown »

Now, let's see what happens when I plug the video cable into the plasma big screen ...

Uh..............I totally want to see a pic of that ;)
For real. Please.
"Those who would give up a little liberty for a little security deserve neither and will lose both."
~ Thomas Jefferson
GKar

Post by GKar »

ORIGINAL: christian brown

Uh..............I totally want to see a pic of that ;)
For real. Please.
I guess we'd all have to scroll a lot. [:)]
GKar

Post by GKar »

The link doesn't show a 2560x1600 image to me, but the size of the map is impressive as it is (tiny little units...).
Joel Billings

Post by Joel Billings »

Thanks for discovering this. Keith always said his engine would support different resolutions but we never had his time available to figure out what was needed to make it an official feature and clean up the various art problems that come up. I just tried it in WBTS and it seems to work just as well. This is a great unofficial way to play the game. Perhaps someday Keith will be able to look into what it would take to make this official (get rid of the scrolling at 1024.x768, etc.), although it is more likely to get done if we have a "volunteer" programmer work on this. It is great to see the game (and WBTS) have the potential for different resolutions. Thanks Jesse for finding this.
All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard
Lebatron

Post by Lebatron »

Thanks Joel.

Guys, use these new steps because they eliminate the scrolling when you exit the 1024x768 phantom window area.

1. Start game in windowed mode at your normal desktop res.
2. Once at the games main menu change your destop res to 1024x768. Simplest to right click somewhere on desktop.
3. Now move aside the main menu a little so you can right click on desktop to change back to your prefered res.
4. Now move the main menu back to center it. You will notice the main menu shrink at this point.
5. Start your scenario, or load saved game, and you will be taken to the larger game map.

The major difference in these steps from my previous ones is that here you start the game at your preferred res. Before I had directed you guys to first
set the desktop to 1024x768. Apparently that was creating the phantom window scrolling effect. In my case, when I start the game at 1280x1024, then
drop the res, this scrollin problem goes away. Would others please confirm. Thanks.  
Lebatron

Post by Lebatron »

You guys may have noticed a problem with the repair screen and artifacting of the main menu when it's moved. I have addressed this problem by making a graphic mod to improve the appearance and eliminate artifacts that appear when using this trick. It's called the 1280x1024 mod, and you can find it in the mods section. 
Joel Billings

Post by Joel Billings »

The scrolling problem is solved in WBTS when I follow the steps you outlined above. Great find! Jesse, at some point I will contact you about your mod for AWD to see if something similar can be done for WBTS.
All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard
SGT Rice

Post by SGT Rice »

Confirmed; works as advertised. Thanks Jesse.
Lebatron

Post by Lebatron »

The 1280x1024 mod is now a sticky in the mods section. The direct link to it is fb.asp?m=1680966
It fixes the artifacts and in particular the problem on the repair screen when the res trick is used.

Return to “Gary Grigsby's World at War: A World Divided”