World at War 2?

Gary Grigsby’s World at War is back with a whole new set of features. World at War: A World Divided still gives complete control over the production, research and military strategy for your side, but in this new updated version you’ll also be able to bring spies into the mix as well as neutral country diplomacy, variable political events and much more. Perhaps the largest item is the ability to play a special Soviet vs. Allies scenario that occurs after the end of World War II.

Moderator: MOD_GGWaW_2

toddtreadway

World at War 2?

Post by toddtreadway »

Are there any plans for this great game to get a remake?
ncc1701e

Re: World at War 2?

Post by ncc1701e »

The last patch already improves the game resolution for today's screen size. Did you try it?
Chancellor Gorkon to Captain James T. Kirk:
You don't trust me, do you? I don't blame you. If there is to be a brave new world, our generation is going to have the hardest time living in it.
toddtreadway

Post by toddtreadway »

Yep! Definitely a step in the right direction. I'm mainly interested in seeing what they could come up with, given the chance the improve it. There aren't any new grand strategic ww2 games out there, so I think the market would eat this up, especially if the interface was improved and it was on Steam.
ncc1701e

Post by ncc1701e »

toddtreadway wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:36 am There aren't any new grand strategic ww2 games out there, so I think the market would eat this up, especially if the interface was improved and it was on Steam.
Did you try Warplan Europe and Warplan Pacific?
https://www.matrixgames.com/bundle/warp ... pe-pacific
You don't trust me, do you? I don't blame you. If there is to be a brave new world, our generation is going to have the hardest time living in it.
toddtreadway

Post by toddtreadway »

I did, and though I do like Warplan, I much prefer the area-move type system in world at war.
generalfdog

Post by generalfdog »

This is the second version, you should try War plan again it is great
midgard30

Post by midgard30 »

toddtreadway wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 3:24 am I did, and though I do like Warplan, I much prefer the area-move type system in world at war.
You may want to check Destiny of the world on Steam. Closer game to WaW I found so far, although I didn't try i yet. I'm pleased with WaW for now, but eventually I'll probably get it.
ncc1701e

Post by ncc1701e »

midgard30 wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:19 pm
toddtreadway wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 3:24 am I did, and though I do like Warplan, I much prefer the area-move type system in world at war.
You may want to check Destiny of the world on Steam. Closer game to WaW I found so far, although I didn't try i yet. I'm pleased with WaW for now, but eventually I'll probably get it.
Did you finally get it?
midgard30

Post by midgard30 »

ncc1701e wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 6:20 pm
midgard30 wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:19 pm
Did you finally get it?
Not yet, and probably not before a couple a months, I've still got a couple of other games on the plate! (Platoon, 2nd front, squad battles)
pzgndr

Post by pzgndr »

midgard30 wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:19 pm You may want to check Destiny of the world on Steam.
Good tip, thanks. Looks good. I wish it had an ETO scenario and not just a global game, but I'll probably get it and give it a shot. Be nice if it had an editor beyond a limited force size editor.
Bill Macon
Empires in Arms Developer
Strategic Command Developer
ncc1701e

Post by ncc1701e »

I am interested in feedback on this game.

Thanks
AlbertN

Post by AlbertN »

Depending on what changes for a WaW2 I'd definitely buy it.

The base structure is very solid, playable and immediate and it has depth.
The 'problem' is that it may turn potentially repetitive over the games, and I suspect that is due to how the map is shaped (in terms of amount of regions).
ncc1701e

Post by ncc1701e »

AlbertN wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 12:52 pm Depending on what changes for a WaW2 I'd definitely buy it.

The base structure is very solid, playable and immediate and it has depth.
The 'problem' is that it may turn potentially repetitive over the games, and I suspect that is due to how the map is shaped (in terms of amount of regions).
Interesting, I was asking myself what would be great in a World at War 2 game. This is true it has a solid base.

Two things I would wish:
1. Greater map with perhaps few more regions.
2. More historical units and OOB. For example, taking No Retreat! boardgame, you have the name of the armies/fronts on the map. In the current game, it is very abstract.

And you?
AlbertN

Post by AlbertN »

The map with more regions I said already - and that is a must in order to not have a repeat in general.

On your 2nd point - that I do not believe it is viable at all for -this- type of game. This is alike Axis and Allies, or any of its derivates.
You get a Generic Infantry. A Generic Armour.
Once historical OOBs come in, you end up having 'historical' limit of units. It overhauls the game, and you have a different game. Which is not anymore Axis and Allies on steroids.

I'd change some how experience works / is assigned.
Atm the +2 and +4 of a Veteran / Elite unit are simply diluted over the ramping up of Technology. Already a +2 over a roll of 6 different dices is rather abysmal. While certainly it has a deeper impact where 1-2 dices only are involved. (The latter is ok)
Somehow I see the Axis troops requiring to get Veteran or Elite and gradually being grinded down later on by the larger Allied numbers.

I'd rid of all the obscure steps that at times cause a hit when the player cannot understand why or so.

Though prolly some mod can see to the map - and I suspect Veteran and Elite bonus are meant to be hardcoded.
VonPaul7

Post by VonPaul7 »

Is there a way to increase the text size? It is very small for my old eyes.

FYI - I'm on an ultrawide monitor 3440 * 1440. I've tried window and lower resolution but the font size still seems the same.
ncc1701e

Post by ncc1701e »

About a potential World at War 2, did anyone had a look on Global War 1936?

The number of regions seem not too bad:
https://www.historicalboardgaming.com/G ... _9945.html
Global War 1936.JPG
Global War 1936.JPG (183.87 KiB) Viewed 1092 times
AlbertN

Post by AlbertN »

Ultimately it's an Axis and Allies - and the late game is moving blobs of units around with the typical sweeps of the packed punch of air units. - Global '36
Lebatron

Post by Lebatron »

AlbertN wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 2:15 pm Ultimately it's an Axis and Allies - and the late game is moving blobs of units around with the typical sweeps of the packed punch of air units. - Global '36
Exactly. I find no interest in playing A&A anymore unless it's just because a friend wants it to hit the table. And if so, then just a regular version of it like the 2004 revised edition. My favorite one. I used to be a hard-core A&A player. Daily forum poster and all that and even contributed to the design of some A&A projects over the years. But I see no need for an enhanced version like the one shown above because WAW-AWD already satisfies that need.

As far as wanting more map regions because you think it would somehow make the game better, I'm highly skeptical. It would make it a different kind of game. There is plenty of deep strategy present in the maneuver on the map we have now. Sure, it can benefit from corrections in places as I have done in the Deluxe version, but I would not double the regions. One, it would make the game take much longer to play and I like the 20-30 turns we have now. You can actually finish a game in under a month or less. Two, this map depth just works for this time scale. It's no coincidence that other seasonal designs pretty much chop up the map into similar sizes. My current favorite seasonal WWII board game is Black Swan by VentoNuovo Games (you can play it via the Vassal module I made for it) And the designers map and my map for Deluxe have a lot in common on the East Front. We have spoken about this via email and turns out he loves WAW on PC. Funny hey. All in all, I find the all to common request for more regions in this kind of game to be akin to a Noob player of Chess saying how much better Chess would be if it was only 16x16 instead of 8x8.
Jesse LeBreton, AKA Lebatron
Development team- GG's WAW A World Divided
AlbertN

Post by AlbertN »

The number of regions is nice, there is scrambling and advanced rules.
I tried it - but in the end of the day the core remains unaltered.
There is even a tech tree, which is smooth.

Things which are amiss is that for instance there are no real logistics. While here in AWAW the larger is your army, the more you need to churn out supplies to move it. The change from being on the defensive to being on the offensive is nifty.
Planes are not the killer.

AWAW could be surely improved, and bettered - a larger map would be exceptional for instance. Larger tech tree, more units, etc? Ace.
But a game must have a fundamentally solid base to be built on.

A&A games are nice if you can play smooth and fast, but it lacks the real backup and spine to turn into a monster, deep game.
ncc1701e

Post by ncc1701e »

Lebatron wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 9:17 pm
As far as wanting more map regions because you think it would somehow make the game better, I'm highly skeptical. It would make it a different kind of game. There is plenty of deep strategy present in the maneuver on the map we have now. Sure, it can benefit from corrections in places as I have done in the Deluxe version, but I would not double the regions. One, it would make the game take much longer to play and I like the 20-30 turns we have now. You can actually finish a game in under a month or less. Two, this map depth just works for this time scale. It's no coincidence that other seasonal designs pretty much chop up the map into similar sizes. My current favorite seasonal WWII board game is Black Swan by VentoNuovo Games (you can play it via the Vassal module I made for it) And the designers map and my map for Deluxe have a lot in common on the East Front. We have spoken about this via email and turns out he loves WAW on PC. Funny hey. All in all, I find the all to common request for more regions in this kind of game to be akin to a Noob player of Chess saying how much better Chess would be if it was only 16x16 instead of 8x8.
Well, this is because people like Hellwig, Venturini and Reisswitz were willing to increase the size of the Chess board that kriegspiel and wargame were invented. I see no problem with that.

But your answer is a bit contradictory. You said you would not double the number of regions but your favorite seasonal WWII game is Black Swan, and looks like this is exactly what has been done on Black Swan's map.

I don't know this game to be honest. But when I see that regions like Western Karelia, Bessarabia are existing on the map and are occupied by USSR through diplomatic events, that France is 7 regions not 3 ; well this game has now my attention. Same, Netherlands and Belgium are splitted, this is incredible.

Black Swan map looks fine in term of regions, I just want the world like this, nothing more.

What I regret with WAW right now is that there is no real frontline. Players are encouraged to make large stacks in key regions while leaving other regions completely empty. The simulation of the Russian front seems strange to me with big stacks like this.
Black Swan.JPG
Black Swan.JPG (202.16 KiB) Viewed 552 times

WAW.JPG
WAW.JPG (301.91 KiB) Viewed 552 times

Return to “Gary Grigsby's World at War: A World Divided”