custom counter for each zoom level

Post new scenarios and mods here to share with other gamers.

Moderator: MOD_WarintheWest

vilcum

custom counter for each zoom level

Post by vilcum »

I made this sets of counter for WITE2, now I am revisiting WITW (back in the day I was too busy in wite1 to really explore the game) and as the map and counters are quite compatible I am taking them with me with some changes.

I use a different set for each zoom level so I do not think many people actually liking/ using them all , so I provide the tga files primarily for other newbie modders (as myself) to explore the different possibilities merging some ideas with a free software tool as GIMP.

Some general notes:

Map is a moded one too, that includes airfield markers, but that is not included in the files)
This is not an original work , most counters are NOT mine, I have took them from several previous modders (821Bobo, kel, kosmoface and many others) and the original countertracks.
National colors: I use different colors for each counter size on some nationals (i.e. Italians) mostly taken them from old europa series games, and I try to avoid two/colored counters (i.e. stock Luftwaffe and non-elite SS ) though currently I keep it for multiple allied minor nations (as Indians).

Nato symbols : I use as a base the excellent counters by Kel (those I strongly suggest to anyone who want to have a standard counter on all sizes) , but I modified some of them to my own taste , notably security and light infantry (again mostly based on europa series standards).

Description and examples:

Size 1 9x9 – general positions view: Counters by national color (modified!) and army color top band to the combat counters. e different HQ units sizes are represented .

Size 2 18x18- Unit size view : Counter are limited to only show nato symbol (in army colours) and a down national colour band with somewhat oversized nato unit size code.

Note I also use oversized airbase counters in this zoom level, as I finf it useful to find space while rebasing.

Size 3 28x28 – Situational view. trying to simulate some real era maps (it is a pity I canot add unit names at this level) I designed this counters for situational type maps (less hex cluttering).

Counter are NATO in national color with standard nato size marker, the little flag shows Army asignation.

Size 4 36x36- Standard play zoom. The most standard-like counters for this level, mostly Kels counters (with a few modifications on nato symbols as noted) and 821Bobo counter colours (also with my noted modifications). I use a broad army colour band in ALL HQ counters to easily distinguish them from combat units

Size 5 44x44 - tabletop zoom. tabletop-like counters for this level, Nato symbols (with even more modifications to personal taste and old tabletop games, as the motorized infantry ones) and different counter colours (light green Italians i.e.).
Again I used a broad army colour band in ALL HQ counters to easily distinguish them from combat units, the army affiliation in “combat” counters is not displayed in the nato symbol, but in a little “army flag”.

Size 76x76 (super counters only showed on the unit id cards NOT on map)

Those are HEAVILY based on the Non-Nato-Counters by kosmoface Modified some types I think “more proper”

Attachments
witwcoun.jpg
witwcoun.jpg (464.25 KiB) Viewed 516 times
vilcum

RE: custom counter for each zoom level

Post by vilcum »

this is the file, to use them they should be left in

STEAM users:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Gary Grigsbys War in the West\Dat\Art\Units

NON Steam users:

open the game folder (via left click menu) and left files in ...ary Grigsbys War in the West\Dat\Art\Units

I advice you backup the original files first
Attachments
Units.zip
(607.46 KiB) Downloaded 50 times

Return to “Scenario Design and Modding”