Intros not playing

Post bug reports and ask for support here.

Moderator: MOD_WarintheWest

MPHopcroft1

Intros not playing

Post by MPHopcroft1 »

I have a problem that the openi8ng screens in that they give me the sounds with only a black screen. I want to see the wartime footage and posters I saw the first time I played this game. What happened? Did I do a setting wrong?
"Any asset that would cost you the war if lost is no longer an asset, but a liability." -- Me

"No plan survives the battlefield" -- old Army saw.

"Without Love, I'd have no Anger. I wouldn't believe in Righteousness" -- Bernie Taupin
Seminole

RE: Intros not playing

Post by Seminole »

What happens if you try to play the videos outside of the game?

Just browse to the folder path (default) C:\Matrix Games\Gary Grigsby's War in the West\Dat\video

Can you play those videos without a problem in Windows?
"War is never a technical problem only, and if in pursuing technical solutions you neglect the psychological and the political, then the best technical solutions will be worthless." - Hermann Balck
MPHopcroft1

Post by MPHopcroft1 »

Yes, I did. And in WitE too, which had the same problem. All of the videos worked (I had to look harder for them because I use Steam.)

So the videos themselves are fine. It's just something preventing the video track from appearing. The sound is fine.
"Any asset that would cost you the war if lost is no longer an asset, but a liability." -- Me

"Without Love, I'd have no Anger. I wouldn't believe in Righteousness" -- Bernie Taupin
Denniss

Post by Denniss »

What kind of software do you use to manually play these vids?
Note the ingame video relies on properly working Codecs built into your operating system, many 3rd party software players like VLC use their own embedded codecs.
WitE dev team - (aircraft data)
WitE 1.08+ dev team (data/scenario maintainer)
WitW dev team (aircraft data, partial data/scenario maintainer)
WitE2 dev team (aircraft data)
MPHopcroft1

Post by MPHopcroft1 »

I did indeed use VLC to open them, but only within this process and only once, just now, after the trouble arose.

What can I do to fix these codecs since it sounds like it may be what's at issue here?

Denniss

Post by Denniss »

WitE dev team - (aircraft data)
WitE 1.08+ dev team (data/scenario maintainer)
WitW dev team (aircraft data, partial data/scenario maintainer)
WitE2 dev team (aircraft data)
kontkis

Post by kontkis »

Did you manage to fix this? I have the same issue. At first the video played OK but after couple of times I only can hear the sound.

I just got a new computer and have the same problem again after couple of times. I'm not sure if it's related but the issued started on that computer when I skipped the video once by clicking ESC. After that video was not displayed anymore.
EddieTheTrooper

Post by EddieTheTrooper »

Same problem here. No videos only sound in War in the East and War in the West. When the game was installed for the first time I had no problem like this. I can play videos directly from the game folder and they work fine this way. I've also found same problem in Close Combat Last Stand Arnhem. No videos, only sound. Any ideas?
cfulbright

Post by cfulbright »

Eddie,

How important are the intro videos to you? I personally have renamed the Video folder to be Video.xxx just so I don't waste time waiting for the videos to load and play, but I don't have a solution if you want to watch them.

Cary

Return to “Tech Support”