Understanding AI Movement Rules

Gary Grigsby’s War in the West 1943-45 is the most ambitious and detailed computer wargame on the Western Front of World War II ever made. Starting with the Summer 1943 invasions of Sicily and Italy and proceeding through the invasions of France and the drive into Germany, War in the West brings you all the Allied campaigns in Western Europe and the capability to re-fight the Western Front according to your plan.

Moderators: Joel Billings, RedLancer

texag11

Understanding AI Movement Rules

Post by texag11 »

I'm trying to understand what the AI's rules are for movements, especially when reacting to invasions.

I was working my way up the "Italian boot" and the HG Div, 16th PZ, 29th & 90th PZG and 1st FMJ divisions were all in front of 8th army in the toe (SW of Catanzaro) when I proceeded with my 5th Army Landing north of Naples. I commenced my invasion and during Germans turn all 5 of those divisions are able to "magically" appear north of Naples and counter attack the invasion. I have run the turn several times with different forms of interdiction/railway/railyard attacks from the toe up to Naples and nothing seems to keep them from redeploying and attacking (albeit unsuccessfully).

I KNOW it takes the allies 3-4 turns if motorized to get that far with normal Divisions, so how is it the German AI Divisions were able to not only relocated but attack? I get the need to give the AI some help but that seems absurd. Am I missing something when moving my units around or is this a AI advantage that no amount of air strikes/attrition can stop? If so it seems is pretty game breaking.
sfbaytf

Re: Understanding AI Movement Rules

Post by sfbaytf »

I think the AI teleporting is overdone. Wait till you get to invading Europe. Also the air has been tweeked and could use some adjustment. I flattened railyards throughout Italy as well as France, run large interdiction missions and still it seems to have little effect.

Another interesting thing is I don't see any tanks getting killed by air attacks. Seems odd. Air was killing a ton of tanks in previous versions, now it seems the opposite.

When I plays as Germany and watch the allied air interdiction, it seems far more effective.
MarkShot

Re: Understanding AI Movement Rules

Post by MarkShot »

I am by no means an expert player.

Air and Arty more result in disruption than destruction. Thus, they allow you to win the fight, by virtue of turning the enemy elements into bystanders.

As I understand it, the two best uses of of Air vis-a-vis combat is ground support and interdiction. It seems the lower down you task your ground support, the greater concentration you get of air units.

I think at 110 Morale, the AI will pass all MP/SM checks and become highly mobile. I don't think AI cheating is so objectionable if it gives a better game, and isn't outrageous. Remember the AI doesn't learn like a neural net, nor does it have the 30 years of programming that has been put into perfect chess engines.
2021 - Resigned in writing as a 20+ year Matrix Beta and never looked back ...

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the West”