What Air Doctrines settings do you use in the Tutorial Op. HUSKY

Gary Grigsby’s War in the West 1943-45 is the most ambitious and detailed computer wargame on the Western Front of World War II ever made. Starting with the Summer 1943 invasions of Sicily and Italy and proceeding through the invasions of France and the drive into Germany, War in the West brings you all the Allied campaigns in Western Europe and the capability to re-fight the Western Front according to your plan.

Moderators: Joel Billings, RedLancer

Tempest5

What Air Doctrines settings do you use in the Tutorial Op. HUSKY

Post by Tempest5 »

I am trying to duplicate the V.P. like the game tutorial for Air Doctrine and Youtube videos but I can't duplicate or get their VP totals or even close.
Now maybe these Tuts were made long ago before update/patches. I understand the in and outs now how to setup the Air Doctrine and the various screens but I can't duplicate V.P's or get near as what is in the Tuts even when Air Doctrine settings is exactly the same.
Does WithW has a random element maybe?
MarkShot

Re: What Air Doctrines settings do you use in the Tutorial Op. HUSKY

Post by MarkShot »

Since no one answered ... well here I am, the VOI (the voice of ignorance):

I think on the T1 and T2 ... air superiority and air field raids are not a bad idea, and interdiction is generally good wherever and whenever. You need to protect your forces coming ashore. Further recon or the F10 key will show that initially, Sicily's air fields are little NAZI hornet nests. (They will pull out later.)

Some things which the tutorial does not explicitly cover which may help you boost your score.

* Use 1 AP and boost port repairs. Rather than depend on your landing fleets. (you will see why later)

* The NAZI positions are forts. Particularly Messina. Nothing says, "You can run, but you cannot hide", than placing SUs into your front line attacking units. And what SUs might that be? Combat engineers, because they like to blow s**t up.

* Finally, two side effects you will notice about this fight. The clock is ticking and you are a bit awash in AP (not armor piercing, but Admin Points). So, do something with it. Motorize your infantry divisions with trucks. You will be able to cover ground much faster as you race towards Palermo.

* If the ports are good and bringing in supply, the fleets can sit offshore of VLs and bombard as part of your attacks, and they cover huge range over the open water. Useful for Messina and other nuts you are having trouble cracking.

* You may find it useful to step up fighters, but don't step up the heavies (AI will do that if you let it ... they infused the the AI will the soul of Bomber Harris/Curtis Lemay). But heavies consume too much of your supply bandwidth and they have plenty of range; leave them on the main land.

* Well, if you reach the NAZI ports in good shape you have supplies. But remember if you don't, you have adequate lift to air drop supplies (F9X2 freight) from North Africa to Sicily.

Have a good war!
2021 - Resigned in writing as a 20+ year Matrix Beta and never looked back ...

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the West”