WitW Living Manual

Gary Grigsby’s War in the West 1943-45 is the most ambitious and detailed computer wargame on the Western Front of World War II ever made. Starting with the Summer 1943 invasions of Sicily and Italy and proceeding through the invasions of France and the drive into Germany, War in the West brings you all the Allied campaigns in Western Europe and the capability to re-fight the Western Front according to your plan.

Moderators: Joel Billings, RedLancer

Joel Billings

WitW Living Manual

Post by Joel Billings »

Thanks to the efforts of a few members of the WitW community, we can provide you with a pdf living manual (attached zip file, eventually we will get this into future updates of the game). We have reviewed all of the New Features and Rule Change items in the readme notes and placed those that impact the manual at the end of the relevant sections of the manual. In addition there is an addendum (new section 28) with all the New Feature and Rule Change items listed. We are not able to provide screenshots within this manual, but it does have a TOC with jump links to each of the items in the TOC. You can use this living manual as a reference if you have a question about whether a particular rule has changed.

This manual is up to date through the most recent Public Beta 1.01.31. Since each item is listed with the version number and date when it was added to the game, a player using the 1.01.20 official version can use this document and ignore any items listed as 1.01.31 changes.

We want to thank Bob Pendleton for doing the bulk of the work in putting this together, as well as dereck and ReadyR for their help in identifying where some of the readme items should be placed in the manual. In addition, thanks to Marco at Matrix for providing us with a text version of the final manual in a format that we could work with, and Erik for helping us with some of our formatting issues.

We will try to periodically update this manual as additional changes are made to the game. If you see any items that you feel would be better listed in a different part of the manual, please let us know what the item is and where you think it should go and we'll look into correcting it in a future update.
Attachments
Warinthe..gManual.zip
(2.74 MiB) Downloaded 4442 times
All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard
bairdlander2

RE: WitW Living Manual

Post by bairdlander2 »

Manual states 26.7.3 command capacity for corps hq 10cp...yet an example of how to calculate a leader check in the living manual states corps hq have command capacity of 8 cp.Which is correct?
Joel Billings

Post by Joel Billings »

Corps command capacities are 10 or 11 per the chart in 26.7.3. The reason the example has an 8 is likely because it came from the War in the East manual where HQs in 1941 have a command capacity of 8.

There is a change that should be noted for some of the Torch scenarios that start as early as November 1942. From November 1942 through March 1943, the HQ Command Capacities are as follows:

Corps 9
Army 27
Army Group 108 (81 for the Allies)
In April 43 they rise to the levels listed in the manual for 7/43-3/44.
-- Soren Kierkegaard
rickier65

Post by rickier65 »

I just wanted to add my thanks to Joel and the folks responsible for this manual update. Having an up-to-date manual is really helpful to those folks that are learning the game.

Thanks
Rick
jhdeerslayer

Post by jhdeerslayer »

+1
Icier

Post by Icier »

+ 1 + 1
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
tombo

Post by tombo »

..this really helps as i'm ready to start again

cheers and thanks!
GBS

Post by GBS »

The new living manual I have is dated 5/4/16. is this the one included in the new 37 patch??
"It is well War is so terrible lest we grow fond of it." -
R. E. Lee

"War..god help me, I love it so." - G. Patton
Joel Billings

Post by Joel Billings »

FYI, there is a 1.08 version of the living manual that is dated 5/22/2018 and has changes listed up through version 1.02.28. Every game update includes an updated version of the living manual.
-- Soren Kierkegaard
NavalNewZ

Post by NavalNewZ »

..there seems to be something wrong with our bloody ships today
stolypin

Post by stolypin »

ORIGINAL: NavalNewZ

FYI, there is a 1.08 version of the living manual that is dated 5/22/2018 and has changes listed up through version 1.02.28. Every game update includes an updated version of the living manual.

Thanks, Joel.
Delaware

Re: WitW Living Manual

Post by Delaware »

So how outdated is the hardbound manual? I am thinking about getting back into the game and wanted to reread the hardback manual. What section is the most changed?
loki100

Re: WitW Living Manual

Post by loki100 »

at the level of game mechanics its fine, but there are changes all over the place. The VP rules are very different (and that really matters) as are some of the damage/repair routines.

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the West”