Retreat vs. Surrender

Gary Grigsby’s War in the West 1943-45 is the most ambitious and detailed computer wargame on the Western Front of World War II ever made. Starting with the Summer 1943 invasions of Sicily and Italy and proceeding through the invasions of France and the drive into Germany, War in the West brings you all the Allied campaigns in Western Europe and the capability to re-fight the Western Front according to your plan.

Moderators: Joel Billings, RedLancer

brianreid

Retreat vs. Surrender

Post by brianreid »

Ok, after playing lots of War in the East and War in the East II scenarios, I have become very familiar with surrounding and destroying large numbers of Soviet units. Usually, when one surrounds Soviet units in War in the East II, and then you attack those surrounded units, they surrender. Now, I just started playing War in the West, and I managed to pocket the 3rd U.S. Army at the beginning of the Rhine Scenario. The pocket was completely sealed, with no escape route. But, when I started attacking the pocketed U.S. forces, instead of them surrendering, they simply "retreated". Now, this may be a matter of semantics, since the units were completely destroyed every time anyway (many of them suffering losses greater then even what they supposedly had left at the time). But my questions is, why does the game way that these units "retreated", when they clearly are surrendering? It is strange that the pocketed units in WWII in the East II always surrender, and the pocketed units in the War in the West game merely "retreat". Why the difference?
MarkShot

Re: Retreat vs. Surrender

Post by MarkShot »

Could it be their morale level?
2021 - Resigned in writing as a 20+ year Matrix Beta and never looked back ...
DustyJenkins560

Post by DustyJenkins560 »

In my experience, waiting a turn to make sure units are "isolated" instead of attacking them the turn they are surrounded usually has the units surrender to me. I'm certainly no expert though.
Hartmann301

Post by Hartmann301 »

DustyJenkins560 wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 7:52 am In my experience, waiting a turn to make sure units are "isolated" instead of attacking them the turn they are surrounded usually has the units surrender to me. I'm certainly no expert though.
How about playing the turn you have in our game. It's been a week!

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the West”