Anti-aircraft units

Gary Grigsby’s War in the West 1943-45 is the most ambitious and detailed computer wargame on the Western Front of World War II ever made. Starting with the Summer 1943 invasions of Sicily and Italy and proceeding through the invasions of France and the drive into Germany, War in the West brings you all the Allied campaigns in Western Europe and the capability to re-fight the Western Front according to your plan.

Moderators: Joel Billings, RedLancer

William Betson

Anti-aircraft units

Post by William Betson »

Why does it cost a full admin point to assign an AA battalion to a city? The result is that most of your AA units spend the campaign or scenario piled in high level HQS where they do little (if any) good. Assigning other SUs to corps or divisions costs no admin points…. Even if they have to travel great distances.
MarkShot

Re: Anti-aircraft units

Post by MarkShot »

Good question.

My guess is that they would be too fluid moving from city to city or town acting defensively as the front moves. I think in Berlin, there were four large AA towers. So, the emplacements maybe were not intended to be highly mobile. (just speculating)
2021 - Resigned in writing as a 20+ year Matrix Beta and never looked back ...
kentkroeckel

Post by kentkroeckel »

Using RR Rail Road anti aircraft has no administrative cost to move around. Only catch is that you need to have at least one administrative point left in order to reshuffle your RR flack. Now on to your other point. One way not to spend administrative point on AA flack is to assign them to ground units. Three per division and usually two per brigade. I like to make sure all units have the maximum support units assigned them first. Finally, artillery. Ten per division for all nationalities. Americans can handle twelve. If playing Germany, do not forget about fort artillery and rockets. They will only appear when you select support over a fortification. That is the only way to see them and assign them. I do not believe that assigning extra AA to air HQ's helps much. And as you stated earlier, not much value in piling them up in ground HQ's.
MarkShot

Post by MarkShot »

So, Kent, you are saying just load up a side lined HQ and park it on a city hex? Clever. As I always tend to side line a few losers. :) Thanks.
2021 - Resigned in writing as a 20+ year Matrix Beta and never looked back ...
kentkroeckel

Post by kentkroeckel »

One followup point that I forgot to talk about, which Mark brought up is stationary AA. There are several that cannot be moved. As Mark pointed out, the flack towers do not move. No wheels below them. Ha.

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the West”