Save Game Runtime Error

Post bug reports and request support here.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21, elmo3

morvael

RE: Save Game Runtime Error

Post by morvael »

This Z is a local drive?

Anyway, I'm afraid it may be some action in the game that causes this. Could you save after every move and battle and other actions that change the game state?
Hanny

Post by Hanny »

Did you clear the windows cache?.

Pathing looks ok.
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
jsqdcsq

Post by jsqdcsq »

Guys I've encountered the same problem.
I suspect it has some relationship with a recent windows 10 update since the game has not changed for a long time and it had always been running well. Are you guys with this crash also using a win 10 system?
Proletariat of the world, unite!
Spore18

Post by Spore18 »

I really don't think it has anything to do with actions taken in-game. For instance, I just did this:
1. Load an old save with no problems
2. Make 3 random attacks and a random movement
3. Save the game in a new test save with no problems
4. Quit to the main menu and reopen the save I loaded in step 1, and only then did I get the error and crash
So I opened the exact same save twice, and only one of those times it crashed, so I don't see how in-game actions could affect it.

Hanny - What cache in particular are you talking about?
jsqdcsq - That sounds plausible to me, I'm running this on an up-to-date Windows 10 install. And my laptop, which has been working fine this whole time, has been running on a not as up-to-date Windows 10 install. That said, I just recently updated it. I'll find out if the error has started showing up on my laptop too.

Edit - I tried quite a bit on my laptop to try to get it to crash, but it didn't. So I dunno, it might not be something specific to a Windows 10 update or the big update that I downloaded may not have included whatever broke WitE.
Hanny

Post by Hanny »

[quote]ORIGINAL: Spore18

Hanny - What cache in particular are you talking about?

Windows cache. When you run the game the operating sytem (OS) will asign a temp file for the save, overwrite the same file during play as data changes, when you save or quick save this windows temp file, held in the cache, is converted to the game save file. Once the temp file goes wrong, for whatever reason, you need to clear it from cache as the OS will re use it, and re installing the game achieves nothing.

Try a system restore, ie a date before the update. If no problems, its the tmp file.
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
ggeilman

Post by ggeilman »

Well I cleared the cache and all system files, but still getting a run time error. This just started the last two days.
mwbatl

Post by mwbatl »

I am having the same problem...only recently started happening. I suspect some change in Windows or some related Programs, since the WITE files were working fine up until the last few days for me.

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling, and tried the suggested trick renaming the Sound folder, all to no avail.....HELP!
RC01214

Post by RC01214 »

I am also getting this error on a Windows 10 machine; this did not occur last year.
Deleting or moving save files away from the save folder (Dat/Save) seems to help a little in delaying the error from occurring, although it will happen again eventually.
Given the above comments regarding Windows 10, I think it has something to do with a Windows update on September Tenth.
It could also be related to Steam: is Spore18's laptop installation of WITE Steam or separate?
gids

Post by gids »

Runtime ERROR,did THEY EVER found a solution,because i read through the forums and quite some people have it.....i suffer from it last couple of weeks and didnt change anything....
FB jacky heusequin
DorianGray

Post by DorianGray »

This runtime error should be identifiable and able to be diagnosed on the creation of a proper dump (*.dmp) file.

Developers can take that file and find the exact line in the source code that is causing the general protection fault.

The trick may be is how to configure your local systems to generate (*.dmp) files if the program itself is not generating the minidump itself (as shown here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/window ... p-analysis )

Several good articles describe how to enable Windows dmp file creation:
* https://helpx.adobe.com/xd/kb/how-to-ge ... chine.html
* https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/window ... mode-dumps
* https://www.meziantou.net/tip-automatic ... -error.htm

So rather than playing guessing games regarding cache, horoscope, time of day, number of children you have, etc...on what is causing it, I would suggest configuring your system to generate a *.dmp file and send it to the dev team so they can appropriately identify and fix faulting code.

The program should not be faulting no matter what you, as the user, is doing.
DorianGray

Post by DorianGray »

Also, check your Windows event log. Sometimes it will give more detailed information on the faulting process. Not nearly as good as a *.dmp file, but it can be helpful. (see - https://www.codeproject.com/Articles/59 ... ug-crashes)

For example, you should see something similar to the following:

Faulting application name: Explorer.EXE, version: 10.0.18362.449, time stamp: 0xd3046e6b
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 10.0.18362.418, time stamp: 0x99ca0526
Exception code: 0xc0000374
Fault offset: 0x00000000000f9269
Faulting process id: 0x6d70
Faulting application start time: 0x01d5bda5da2d9ac3
Faulting application path: C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
Report Id: 128439b7-29c9-44f6-a620-90460f447737
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:
Duck1970

Post by Duck1970 »

First, this is one of my favorite games. However, this Runtime error problem should be fixed by the developers. Its not a new problem and the game wasn't cheap. I see a lot of patience from players and the same responses from the devs and yet no permanent fix. I think the devs should offer a discount on future WitE 2 for those of us who have purchased the game and experience the continued frustration of a game that is unplayable.

morvael

Post by morvael »

I hope this will be fixed in the next patch.
ringovski

Post by ringovski »

I am also getting this error after turn 2, I tried saving or end turn and it crashes. So the game is basically unplayable at the moment, is their a fix for it?
eskuche

Post by eskuche »

Try renaming the sound folder. That combined with restarting after every save made it pretty stable for me. Also if your game is slowing down run it in Windows 8 compatibility mode.
Elma666

Post by Elma666 »

Hi.It seems i get that error. I play this game every Week for along time and still have two MP games work on. After Windowsupdate last week i get this fck Error,befor that all runs fine for Years,but now unplayable, every time then i end the Round in MP this Error come and end the Game. I try all the tips from sides before but dont help and im not willing to rename every day a foulder or something in that way. My Steam Version did not show me the Introvideo for a looong Time,i hear it but didnt see it,but the game runs fine, after windowsupdate last week i see the Video and think,hey cool it runs, but then this error come and makes me crazy. In my fault it only comes in MP and only if i klick the end turn button.
eskuche

Post by eskuche »

Try removing your sound/video folders. My crashes also seem to come and go with windows update rounds. I end up alternating between two saves every 10 minutes (no reloads of course). I notice crashes tend to happen after aircraft activity.
grosser735

Post by grosser735 »

Happens when the game gets saved manually or by autosave during the turncycle[:(]

Imo since the last windows update (win10)
Shimoda11

Post by Shimoda11 »

Same problem here. Tried to start steam as admin. It doesn´t help.
Elma666

Post by Elma666 »

I try reinstall but didnt work,i play with 1.11.03. I stop playing this game, hours of playing was lost while this fck error occurs….

Return to “Tech Support”