WitE 2

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21, elmo3

Ajgleskorv

RE: Ai Control

Post by Ajgleskorv »

That would be ideal, but the games would be too long for most people. 3 days would be good.
AtAtack

RE: WitE 2

Post by AtAtack »

I think a "Color Tool" will be great to make the units more visible:

Would be great. At least a color change will be possible of the WitE2 I hope as it was posible right now
Wild

Post by Wild »

How are things progressing Joel? Can we get an update?
pkloop

Post by pkloop »

Will there be a printed manual for the game? I understand the manual evolves but I have no issues writing errata in. Leave a few empty pages in the back for notes. Really prefer printed vs PDF
Joel Billings

Post by Joel Billings »

The new testers that started in early June are keeping us very busy the past few weeks. They are finding bugs and we are fixing them. There are only a few items left to be done to be considered at full beta, and they aren't huge items. I'd say we're making decent progress, assuming we see the number of new bug reports fall off over the next couple of weeks. Initial discussions have started with Matrix re releasing some info on the game. I'd guess in the next few months you'll start seeing something.

As for the manual, it's not clear yet whether they'll be a printed manual. The complete manual is huge. Can't say for sure how big it will be as it doesn't have screenshots yet, but it is larger than the WitW manual. The manual has a major section that tries to give just enough to play the game, leaving the details for the follow on chapters. There's also a section that lists the major changes between WitE and WitE2, and between WitW and WitE2. So players of the earlier games can quickly see a list of the major changes.
All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard
OberGeneral

Post by OberGeneral »

Great news! Thanks forthe update. I can't wait to get my hands on WitE 2.[&o][&o][&o]
jimmyPx

Post by jimmyPx »

Once you hit Beta is there any thought to do doing a Steam Early Access ?
Jim Power
oldMarinePanzer

Post by oldMarinePanzer »

Joel,just a thought, how about a manual hosted on your web site, that would allow updates by specific individuals only, make it a "living" manual, constantly getting updated! It seems nowadays that the second you print the manual it becomes "out of date". Perhaps after time there could be several tutorials added to teach certain aspects of the game etc.
Majick

Post by Majick »

ORIGINAL: Joel Billings

The new testers that started in early June are keeping us very busy the past few weeks. They are finding bugs and we are fixing them. There are only a few items left to be done to be considered at full beta, and they aren't huge items. I'd say we're making decent progress, assuming we see the number of new bug reports fall off over the next couple of weeks. Initial discussions have started with Matrix re releasing some info on the game. I'd guess in the next few months you'll start seeing something.

As for the manual, it's not clear yet whether they'll be a printed manual. The complete manual is huge. Can't say for sure how big it will be as it doesn't have screenshots yet, but it is larger than the WitW manual. The manual has a major section that tries to give just enough to play the game, leaving the details for the follow on chapters. There's also a section that lists the major changes between WitE and WitE2, and between WitW and WitE2. So players of the earlier games can quickly see a list of the major changes.

I would pay extra for a properly bound manual as you produced for WITW. But if you don't do that I wouldn't bother with a printed manual, I've got enough trash in my house and electronic is fine ;-)
pkloop

Post by pkloop »

"I would pay extra for a properly bound manual as you produced for WITW." --------- me too
Wild

Post by Wild »

ORIGINAL: pkloop

"I would pay extra for a properly bound manual as you produced for WITW." --------- me too

Me as well.
OberGeneral

Post by OberGeneral »

I have signed up to be a Beta tester. Hope I get in.[:D][:D]
enricoix

Post by enricoix »

We have seen no concrete planning but just some broad situation update until now.
And I would like to remind that we are reaching to the 8th month of the year.

Since there has been no manual, no AARs, no stream or even screenshots, I want to ask :

To release the game within 2020 is still valid?
Also as a fan of your work, I would be appreciated if you could give us some more info regarding the roadmap.

Thanks in advance.
Joel Billings

Post by Joel Billings »

We're making steady progress, but as you say it is getting tight for 2020. You haven't seen anything because it's up to Matrix Marketing to decide when to start showing things, and we need to complete the graphics before starting to show things. We're getting very close to being done with the graphics (waiting on some font work which should be done soon). Testers have completed short scenarios and are finding bugs and providing good feedback. In some ways, the game is in better shape than WitE was back when it was initially released. On a game like this there's always more that can be done, so it's hard to make the call when it's ready for release. My guess is you'll start seeing things in the next 1-2 months, or it means we're slipping into early 2021.

As for the manual, I can guarantee it won't be ready much before release because it's an ongoing project. We hope to start taking final screenshots for the manual within the next few weeks. Based on my past experience I'd be surprised if Matrix made it available, but maybe once Marketing decides to start showing things, we can put up some of the 1 page guides that give a brief overview of different concepts. Not surprisingly this is the longest manual we've ever worked on. It does have the advantage of having a section that covers everything in brief, but even that is not so brief. It also has charts with specific items called out that are different for WitE players, different for WitW players, and different for experienced players of both. If you are interested in the subject and want to get into the details, you will be learning this game for years. Or if you're old like me you can keep relearning parts periodically. [:)]

Not sure if there will be another wave of testers as we just let in over 50 back in early June. They're might be one more wave brought in when we reach full beta.

Not sure what you are referring to re "info regarding the roadmap".
All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard
enricoix

Post by enricoix »

First of all, thanks a lot for the open answer.
Even though it hurts me deeply to hear about 2021 and I want to get my hands on the game as soon as possible, it is really great to see things progressing steadily.
I have no doubt that this will be a fantastic game. [:)]

With "roadmap" I meant a basic planning which leads until the game launch. (with milestones if possible)
But I believe it is difficult to predict as things are not completely in your hands.

Elma666

Post by Elma666 »

I really hope it will give a German Version,PLEASE!!!! I pay more for that!
Nuklearius

Post by Nuklearius »

ORIGINAL: Ajgleskorv

That would be ideal

If you make the turns 1 day 99% of players would never see 1942 happening. Imagine the pure horror of taking care of 700 Soviet units and moving each one of them 1 hex at a time. There would be very few battles and most battles would be inconsequential with low casualties and you'd barely see a single operation succeed before resigning out of boredom.

7 days perfect in my opinion.
Wild

Post by Wild »

Would sure love to see Matrix promoting this game more. Some updates, timelines, screenshots it's own forum. Something!!

I'm dying for information. This will be the definitive eastern front game and it just feels like there is no build up.
Zemke

Post by Zemke »

Some games have a variable turn scale, in the slow winter months, the turns are longer chunks of time, while in the "maneuver" seasons time is less days. An compromise maybe week turns in the winter and 3 day turns in the spring thru fall.
"Actions Speak Louder than Words"
erichswafford

Post by erichswafford »

I would love to see smaller turn lengths for the smaller, operational-level scenarios.

Wouldn't it involve simply scaling back the movement factors to implement this? With an IGOUGO system like this, it somewhat cripples these smaller scenarios when the decision cycle is a week long.

Trying to recreate something like the Kamenets-Podolsky pocket becomes really problematic with such long spans during which the enemy can operate with relative impunity.
"It is right to learn, even from the enemy."
- Ovid

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”