Gary Grigsby’s War in the East is now available on Steam and Twitch! Also 1.08.04 update released.

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, elmo3, Sabre21

budd

RE: Gary Grigsby’s War in the East is now available on Steam and gets a Twitch Stream!

Post by budd »

O, i meant at the matrix store, sorry. I think you have to buy them all together at the matrix site or buy the deluxe package on steam. You have your purchase details take out a matrix support ticket and see if they can help you purchase the addons for the sale price.Seems to me they would want to sell them to you.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must. ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"Be Yourself; Everyone else is already taken" ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.
pompack

RE: Gary Grigsby’s War in the East is now available on Steam and gets a Twitch Stream!

Post by pompack »

OK, I have the steam key and I have a steam account.

dumb question: what do I DO with the steam key?
VPaulus

Post by VPaulus »

ORIGINAL: pompack

Please follow these instructions to activate a new retail purchase on Steam:

1. Launch the Steam client software and log into your Steam account.
2. Click the Games Menu.
3. Choose Activate a Product on Steam...
4. Follow the onscreen instructions to complete the process.
pompack

Post by pompack »

ORIGINAL: VPaulus

2. Click the Games Menu.
Thank You

GamesaurusRex

Post by GamesaurusRex »

That Slitherine process for getting the Steam Key is very dodgy. I had to hold a séance with three psychics to figure out what to do exactly. The puzzling part is the cryptic instructions on how to use the "Universal Account Mechanism" to merge Matrix/Slitherine/Forums before you can access the Slitherine account. I'm still puzzled by one of the accounts Slitherine says I have with them that I did not set up (and have no idea who did)unless it was set up by Matrix when I purchased Civil War 2 from Matrix as a courtesy. You NEED to clean up that process or at least make the instructions clear. It is a mystery as it is now.
"Real Life" is a game... THIS is war !
lenin

Post by lenin »

2. Click the Games Menu.

I've done this. I entered the registration code and steam says it is invalid. Is the steam code different from the one printed on the cd? I have a registered copy.
"Imperialism is the eve of the proletarian social revolution"
Capitaine

Post by Capitaine »

Yes, the Steam key is different. You need to get it by registering your CD key at the Slitherine site. It's easy to get, you just have to follow the few clearly enunciated steps.
Freyr Oakenshield

Post by Freyr Oakenshield »

ORIGINAL: lenin

2. Click the Games Menu.

I've done this. I entered the registration code and steam says it is invalid. Is the steam code different from the one printed on the cd? I have a registered copy.

It's different.

1. Go to: http://slitherine.com/
2. Set up an account there
3. Register your game
4. Generate a Steam code
5. Go to Steam

Best,
f
GamesaurusRex

Post by GamesaurusRex »

ORIGINAL: Capitaine

Yes, the Steam key is different. You need to get it by registering your CD key at the Slitherine site. It's easy to get, you just have to follow the few clearly enunciated steps.
The steps are not clear... and the word "enunciation" implys a certain level of exactness, which is lacking.

Whether you use the ULS first or have to have a Slitherine account first is unclear. As it turned out I never actually had to register on Slitherine to get into the ULS, but I only discovered this by stumbling around. (After looking at the ULS, it appears that I was given a Slitherine account by virtue of having purchased Civil War 2 from Matrix, but I have no idea what my ID or password would be because I wasn't the one who set it up.) When you finally get to the CD registration page to get the Steam key, the page talks about a 16 number key, not a 24 number... and then when you enter what you have anyway and press enter, the page closes and gives you no Steam key... You have to go back and press the registered button a second time to get it to display the Steam key.

Unclear and Dodgy... IMHO.
"Real Life" is a game... THIS is war !
lenin

Post by lenin »

ORIGINAL: Freyr Oakenshield

ORIGINAL: lenin

2. Click the Games Menu.

It's different.

1. Go to: http://slitherine.com/
2. Set up an account there
3. Register your game
4. Generate a Steam code
5. Go to Steam

Best,
f

Thanks, sorted. For others info, even if you have the matrix version, you have to register at Slitherine to get the key.
"Imperialism is the eve of the proletarian social revolution"
Capitaine

Post by Capitaine »

ORIGINAL: GamesaurusRex
ORIGINAL: Capitaine

The steps are not clear... and the word "enunciation" implys a certain level of exactness, which is lacking.

Whether you use the ULS first or have to have a Slitherine account first is unclear. As it turned out I never actually had to register on Slitherine to get into the ULS, but I only discovered this by stumbling around. (After looking at the ULS, it appears that I was given a Slitherine account by virtue of having purchased Civil War 2 from Matrix, but I have no idea what my ID or password would be because I wasn't the one who set it up.) When you finally get to the CD registration page to get the Steam key, the page talks about a 16 number key, not a 24 number... and then when you enter what you have anyway and press enter, the page closes and gives you no Steam key... You have to go back and press the registered button a second time to get it to display the Steam key.

Unclear and Dodgy... IMHO.

I don't know what ULS is, so that's lost on me. Whatever it is you don't need it to get your Steam key. The steps are clear, and I -- a 55yo guy -- was able to accomplish it without a hitch. If you're having trouble, I'd say you're being obtuse in some regard. Use common sense.
JosephM

Post by JosephM »

Hello Guys,

For all those who are having problems, the Unified Account is the username and passowrd for your login, so if you already have a Matrix/Matrix Forum (or Wargamer) login then you already have a unified account. What you then need to do is use the username from your Matrix Members (or Matrix Forum) account to log into the Slitherine site and it will automatically merge a Slitherine account to your Unified Account. If anyone is having problems with this, please contact us at support[a]slitherine.com
STEF78

Post by STEF78 »

Obviously I'm not a geek...

I finally got the Steam Register Key from Matrix

I added the games in Steam

Steam asked me to download the game. I did. But now I'm unable to reach server games

and all my saved games are not in the right directory.

Where sould I set them?

I also had some graphical mod, where should I copy them?
GHC 9-0-3
SHC 10-0-4
Freyr Oakenshield

Post by Freyr Oakenshield »

ORIGINAL: STEF78

Find your Steam folder and look for the subfolders SteamApps\common\ - this is where the games are installed (unless you change it in the Steam Settings). Normally, it's c:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\
STEF78

Post by STEF78 »

ORIGINAL: Freyr Oakenshield
ORIGINAL: STEF78

Find your Steam folder and look for the subfolders SteamApps\common\ - this is where the games are installed (unless you change it in the Steam Settings). Normally, it's c:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\
Thanks, it's done

Now I only need access to the server...
GHC 9-0-3
SHC 10-0-4
VPaulus

Post by VPaulus »

Please make sure that when you are inserting your account details (username and password) you click on the check mark instead of pressing the enter key to finalize.

Attachments
WitE01.jpg
WitE01.jpg (30.29 KiB) Viewed 724 times
STEF78

Post by STEF78 »

Please make sure that when you are inserting your account details (username and password) you click on the check mark instead of pressing the enter key to finalize.

Access granted thanks!

GHC 9-0-3
SHC 10-0-4
pompack

Post by pompack »

OK

I have installed and can play a solitaire game on Steam.
My son and I have an on-going game, NOT on the server; we exchange files
Now as near as I can tell from the comments above, we should be able to continue our game even though he is not on steam.

Q1. HOW do we do that with an on-going file-exchange game?
Q2. Does it help if he converts to Steam as well? How do we do it then?
Numdydar

Post by Numdydar »

You go to your Steam Apps folder and then Common folder like noted above. Look for War in the East folder and then open it. There should be a Save folder that you would put your sons files in.

Then when you do your turn, send your files from that same Dir to him.

Steam is just a directory collect of games. So the game file structure is pretty much identical for a Steam version install as if you installed the game as a non-steam game.

I should also point out that sometimes games create Save folders in the My Games Dir in your My Documents folder. Civ series, Hell, etc. are examples of games that do this regardless if it is a Steam version or not. It just depends on the game.
morvael

Post by morvael »

When I was bored of shuffling saves via mail I did a symlink (you can do that on Windows to) for a savegame hidden in Steam folders and a Dropbox shared folder. That way my save synced automatically with my friend.

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”