Game Suggestions:

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, elmo3, Sabre21

Dreamslayer

RE: Soviet air force

Post by Dreamslayer »

Impact of the trucks shortage on the MP for motorized units.
e.g. Motorized unit that have 50% trucks – 25 or 50% MP reduction.
postfux

Post by postfux »

I have all my HQs except the highest on support level 0 to save CPs. This results in a need for micromanagement each turn to equip each corps HQ with the right SUs.

If the CP cost for manually transfering a SU one HQ level up is reduced to 0 I could lock all these corps HQs and move SUs only when needed. The outcome is the same only with much less effort.

An indicator in the attack icon warning that no SUs will be provided (HQ out of range or hasty attack and HQ moved) would reduce my anger level about myself when watching a battle unfold a lot.
Denniss

Post by Denniss »

Doesn't look like you are saving CPs with this strategy. If you work this way you should equip a front HQ with your desired mix of SUs and then lock HQ support level so they won't be sent away.
WitE dev team - (aircraft data)
WitE 1.08+ dev team (data/scenario maintainer)
WitW dev team (aircraft data, partial data/scenario maintainer)
WitE2 dev team (aircraft data)
postfux

Post by postfux »

Automove (upstream) is free and asigning using the HQ interface (downstream) is free.

Having SUs at the highest HQ brings flexibility so automove is great.

Downside is all SUs move upstream every turn, also away from corps HQs where they are needed.

When I lock corps HQ the only way to move a SU to another HQ is manually asigning it by using the SU interface. This costs 1 CP even when moving only one level up, which would be free using automove.

When I dont lock the corp HQs I have to asign the SUs every turn which is annoying.

I see no reason for getting punished doing something manual the game would do automatic.
Telemecus

Post by Telemecus »

ORIGINAL: Denniss

Doesn't look like you are saving CPs with this strategy. If you work this way you should equip a front HQ with your desired mix of SUs and then lock HQ support level so they won't be sent away.

They only get sent away in logistics after your opponents phase - and you have your own phase to manually assign them down again for free. So you can get exactly the same result using this strategy as you can by locking the HQ. The only difference is you have to do some more clicks. So the only job of the HQ lock is as a labour saver. It may even be it saves on logistics cost if supply is done after SUs move?

On the other hand if you do this you do have the flexibility to change your SU distribution to something else in your own action phase. If you leave the HQ locked your options are reduced.
Wargamers Discord https://discord.gg/U6DcDxT
postfux

Post by postfux »

Telemecus, that was exactly my understanding.

So I have my corp HQ with all the SUs I want it to have plus one siege mortar.

To get the siege mortar up I have to unlock the HQ and then later reasign the needed stuff down some of which will come from high level HQs and then lock the HQ again.

It would be a much more easy and intuitive to just asign the not needed stuff up one level and does save a lot of clicks each turn.

It is not a very big issue but I guess it is not too difficult to implement either. CU asignement works exactly this way.

Also a change would be perfectly in line with the game mechanics of auto transfer.

The CP cost for asigning downstream from the SU Interface is also not consistent with the free asignment using the HQ Interface.
Telemecus

Post by Telemecus »

ORIGINAL: postfux
The CP cost for asigning downstream from the SU Interface is also not consistent with the free asignment using the HQ Interface.

I take it that is the same as what is sometimes refered to as pulling down SUs as opposed to pushing down SUs? If so I seem to be able to get free assignment both ways?

The real issue of the difference is one relies on choosing one from that class of ToEs whereas the other relies on choosing the individual SU. Choose an SU that assigns down the command line and it should still be for zero cost? Also by pulling down the SUs in higher commands are prioritised first (e.g. in OKH) whereas for supply purposes you probably want to prioritise the ones lower down first (or ones withdrawing soon etc).
uw06670

Post by uw06670 »

Not sure where exactly to place this, but on the idea that sending SU up the command chain should be free, +1 from me as I'm doing German turn 1 currently...
- Mark
postfux

Post by postfux »

ORIGINAL: Telemecus

I take it that is the same as what is sometimes refered to as pulling down SUs as opposed to pushing down SUs? If so I seem to be able to get free assignment both ways?

My fault. Pushing down is free as well. On the other hand it cant be complicated to make pushing up one level free as well.

It would not change gameplay since the same effect is achieved by using auto but it would make things easier a lot, especially for the german player in the first few turns.
morvael

Post by morvael »

Pushing down is free, pushing up or sideways is not.
Djouk

Post by Djouk »

Sorry but i resume in this answer all i had to say now about this game that has become unplayable except against IA.

I had some bad feelings on latest patchs since months and i recognized it became very hard, nearly impossible to play soviets in 41-end 42 against some players where my army had became ridiculous compared axis on historical
perspectives.
Playing soviets, i was victim of super panzers making incredible breakthroughs fighting with no fatigue and impossible logistic... But unable to do that by my own playing axis. Ok i assumed i was simply bad, but septic.
It's great to make new patchs changing SDKFZ254 by the real historical SDKFZ254g, and discussing combat rules... but this become useless when you know this buildup method :

With first aid of a member of this forum i tested this method which works :

1. Move a unit from a HQ you want to buildup, i recommend only 1 hex of the unit most in the rear to avoid interdiction which unable undo move.
2. Go BuildUp the HQ.
3. Undo last move.
4. Until now all is normal because admin points go back.
5. But at the start of next turn your HQ has buildup for free !
6. You can do that as many time you want in a turn. This affects your motor pool but give you super powers... [&o]
7. No doubt that with all more prisoners and vehicules you can take your motor pool isn't so much affected

An other exploit i found is to edit an original scenario/campaign, then "exploiting" parameters and saving it and to propose it as the original on game server for the hosting player.
For exotics original scenarios just edit for example Campaign 41/45 then modify it save it and propose it on server. You can rename but to lure just use the same name than the orignal. Restriction is that other players must have
your extensions.

An other "funnies" :
I was rather well holding in pripet marsches. Then without axis breakthrough or any intrusion of enemy units in my rears and a good supply rail line all my units in marsches where surrounded by enemies ZOC and rails lines destroyed ... and so loosing marsches next turn...
May this be result of using HQ build every where on axis front at the same time !?!

For example I suspect an opponent to have increased growth of its forces, so at the end of 1942 he had more than 4 000 000 german soldiers even loosing nearly 2 000 000. Sorry but all become possible after that.
Moreover how to explain that in this same 41/45 bitter end campaign i had not a single SU-2 dive bomber and i have these in the new one ?!

Even not being a tester, i also remember i could air drop tigers in the past, no more possible now but i can still air drop normal infanterie in my own lines...

For the next patch it would be greater to allow multiple selections of support units for faster transfers to other hq : a huge gain in time for players.

Until all this not corrected it's useless playing multiplayer except to have fun to meet a cheater who believes you don't know what he's doing.
Aufklaerungs

Post by Aufklaerungs »

An edited scenario will not run in multiplayer unless both players are using identical DAT files. If one player makes changes, the other player must import the changed files for the game to continue. If one player changes game options after starting a game, the opponent must make the same changes for game to continue.
Aufklärungs
Djouk

Post by Djouk »

Sorry but i resume in this answer all i had to say now about this game that has become unplayable except against IA.

I had some bad feelings on latest patchs since months and i recognized it became very hard, nearly impossible to play soviets in 41-end 42 against some players where my army had became ridiculous compared axis on historical
perspectives.
Playing soviets, i was victim of super panzers making incredible breakthroughs fighting with no fatigue and impossible logistic... But unable to do that by my own playing axis. Ok i assumed i was simply bad, but septic.
It's great to make new patchs changing SDKFZ254 by the real historical SDKFZ254g, and discussing combat rules... but this become useless when you know this buildup method :

With first aid of a member of this forum i tested this method which works :

1. Move a unit from a HQ you want to buildup, i recommend only 1 hex of the unit most in the rear to avoid interdiction which unable undo move.
2. Go BuildUp the HQ.
3. Undo last move.
4. Until now all is normal because admin points go back.
5. But at the start of next turn your HQ has buildup for free !
6. You can do that as many time you want in a turn. This affects your motor pool but give you super powers... [&o]
7. No doubt that with all more prisoners and vehicules you can take your motor pool isn't so much affected

An other exploit i found is to edit an original scenario/campaign, then "exploiting" parameters and saving it and to propose it as the original on game server for the hosting player.
For exotics original scenarios just edit for example Campaign 41/45 then modify it save it and propose it on server. You can rename but to lure just use the same name than the orignal. Restriction is that other players must have
your extensions.

An other "funnies" :
I was rather well holding in pripet marsches. Then without axis breakthrough or any intrusion of enemy units in my rears and a good supply rail line all my units in marsches where surrounded by enemies ZOC and rails lines destroyed ... and so loosing marsches next turn...
May this be result of using HQ build every where on axis front at the same time !?!

For example I suspect an opponent to have increased growth of its forces, so at the end of 1942 he had more than 4 000 000 german soldiers even loosing nearly 2 000 000. Sorry but all become possible after that.
Moreover how to explain that in this same 41/45 bitter end campaign i had not a single SU-2 dive bomber and i have these in the new one ?!

Even not being a tester, i also remember i could air drop tigers in the past, no more possible now but i can still air drop normal infanterie in my own lines...

For the next patch it would be greater to allow multiple selections of support units for faster transfers to other hq : a huge gain in time for players.

Until all this not corrected it's useless playing multiplayer except to have fun to meet a cheater who believes you don't know what he's doing.
EwaldvonKleist

Post by EwaldvonKleist »

Please abolish the automatism that tries to attach 3 construction units/pioneers automatically per turn. I hate it so much. They always end up in some useless HQs. Why can't they use the normal support setting to or get an own "construction unit support level" setting?

Sorry for the rant, but that always upsets me both as Soviets and Axis.
thedoctorking

RE: Game Suggestions:

Post by thedoctorking »

It would be nice if you could have the German HQ's in normal numerals instead of Roman numerals. It is such a pain to assign your unit to the 'XXVIII' corps by mistake when you wanted the 'XXXVIII'.
Denniss

Post by Denniss »

Wehrmach had an affection to roman numerals, this is historic and will not change.
Telemecus

Post by Telemecus »

BTW it was originally adopted, in many countries, to avoid confusing corps with Arabic numbered armies or divisions
thedoctorking

Post by thedoctorking »

Another reason to prefer the Commies to the fascists... [:D]
Simon Edmonds

Post by Simon Edmonds »

Hello. I am fairly new to WitE and I am heading towards the end of 1943 playing the Germans on normal difficulty. There was no “disaster at Moscow” or “Stalingrad”. This leaves the Axis with around 4.4 million troops on the ground and the Soviets with about 9.2 million. Most infantry units are sitting above 90% TOE and the Axis VP score is 255. Now I find that my infantry divisions are being “upgraded” from 9 battalions to 6 to become the new 1944 infantry division. Historically this re-organisation was done as a result of military disasters leaving the army 1.5 million troops in the red.
I would like to see a screen which progressively gives the player more ahistorical decisions in the game, as each game unfolds in an ahistorical way. It might be a tick box; “reorganise from 9 battalion to six to free manpower”. When you tick the box the reorganisation begins. Looking at it historically it’s a miracle the Germans weren’t routed at Moscow. If they had then the High Command (you) would have been looking for extra manpower as early as 1942.
There are numerous decisions such as this that could be offered. The Luftwaffe ground troops are another example. In the game they turn up historically in response to a military disaster that in game terms hasn’t happened. Another decision; “request emergency Luftwaffe manpower”
Does anyone out there have any similar ideas?
Denniss

Post by Denniss »

Newer game versions already have a function to keep infantry divs at 9bn if you have sufficient manpower in the pool, otherwise they are downgraded to 6bn. This only works if the game was started under 1.08.05 and newer
77. Certain mid­to­late war German divisions may upgrade to bigger or smaller TOE variant. If, at the
moment of upgrade, German manpower pool (including transfer pool) is below 100k or German armaments pool is below 50k, smaller variant will be chosen automatically. If manpower pool is above 200k and armaments pool is above 100k, bigger variant will be chosen automatically.
Between those values the variant will be determined randomly, with probability increasing together
with the size of the pools. There are two variants of 44 Infantry Division, 45 Infantry Division, 44
Jager Division, 45 Jager Division, and 44 Mountain Division TOEs.

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”