Peenemunde Raid...success or abject failure???

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.
drmweaver2

Peenemunde Raid...success or abject failure???

Post by drmweaver2 »

I'll have to post this in a couple of entries to show it all.
First, here's the situation.
I decided to head to Peenemunde in my '44 Long Campaign as the Allied Commander while giving the boys down in the Southern European area a well-deserved time out. I am operating under Overlord mandatory raid restrictions - so my unit availability is somewhat limited.

As you can see from this pic, I pretty much made just a couple raids with minimal diversion/distraction missions. Both daylight and Bomber Command/night raids are shown.
Some of those missions/lines are recon and a few are night ECM missions, but for the most part, it's HEAD FOR PEENEMUNDE BOYS!!! FULL SPEED AHEAD! (your headstones will be waiting for you when/if you return.
Attachments
PeenemundeRaid1.jpg
PeenemundeRaid1.jpg (270.26 KiB) Viewed 529 times
drmweaver2

RE: Peenemunde Raid...success or abject failure???

Post by drmweaver2 »

Now this is the gamble....a BIG/looooong picture.
Ha.. works though I suggest CTRL plusign to zoom in to make the text (more readable).
As you can see... carnage ensued on both sides. 300+ aircraft destroyed!

But I really didn't do much damage to either of the Peenemunde factory sites. Clouds didn't seem to play a big role but the US flyboys couldn't hit the side of the barn. The Bomber Command boys didn't do much better.

So, I can't decide if this day goes down as a positive or negative day. 170+ Germans destroyed is definitely a positive but cruddy damage doled out at a cost of 130+ destroyed planes on my end doesn't feel like a positive result.

Attachments
Peenemunde Raid - 2.gif
Peenemunde Raid - 2.gif (96.75 KiB) Viewed 532 times
simovitch

Post by simovitch »

I see your playing the '44 campaign but its 500 turns and the to-win score is 85. So your not playing the 1.04 beta?
Probably best anyway since the final 1.04 is due out any day now and it fixed some bugs. You won't be able to continue your campaign with much confidence though.
simovitch

drmweaver2

Post by drmweaver2 »

Looks like v1.04 to me.

Attachments
v104.jpg
v104.jpg (188.74 KiB) Viewed 528 times
simovitch

Post by simovitch »

For some reason it looks like your data didn't get patched up, although your btr.exe did. Are you continuing a campaign from an earlier version? That won't go well on many levels.
simovitch

drmweaver2

Post by drmweaver2 »

At this point, I'm not sure if I am continuing a campaign or if I started clean....

I guess I can wait a few days for the "clean, new v1.04" release and then start over.
Orm

Post by Orm »

I am not sure it is a positive result either. Germany sure lost more aircraft. But I suspect that the Allies lost more pilots since many of the downed German pilots survived to fight another day.

I am wondering why you decided to target Peenemunde at this point? Especially since you have restrictions?

Thank you for sharing. [:)]
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

Return to “After Action Reports”