Inpassible hexside like a cliff

Visit here to get your questions about scenario making answered.

Moderator: MOD_Flashpoint

kevinkins

Inpassible hexside like a cliff

Post by kevinkins »

How would you create one of these? I see the river obstacle hex side parameter. But that does not seem to be the way to go.

Edit: looking at the NTC map it looks like defining a mock river with create a cliff of sorts. Is this correct?

Kevin

“The study of history lies at the foundation of all sound military conclusions and practice.”
Alfred Thayer Mahan
CapnDarwin

RE: Inpassible hexside like a cliff

Post by CapnDarwin »

There is currently no good way to do this. It is a feature for Southern Storm, mainly do to the terrain in the south of Germany and Europe. You can make a "brown river", but units will cross it like a river. If you used a full hex as the "edge", you could set it like a major river/lake hex with 0 mobility. The would stop crossings at a cost of a 500 meter "dead" zone.
OTS is looking forward to Southern Storm getting released!

Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder
On Target Simulations LLC
kevinkins

Post by kevinkins »

I thought something like this from the NTC map would work since I can't see why else the map maker would define that layer. See screen shot:

Attachments
Cliff.jpg
Cliff.jpg (102.16 KiB) Viewed 241 times
“The study of history lies at the foundation of all sound military conclusions and practice.”
Alfred Thayer Mahan
CapnDarwin

Post by CapnDarwin »

Kevin,

To make rivers (blue line) work you have to cross a hex side (black lines) with two different values. In this case the 1 and 5. The numbers are not elevation of type. They are numbers to do the pairing. The circled 1 and 5s (in red) will cause a map values file error or crash and should be deleted. Check the Map making PDF for more info and also search for more info on map making in the forums. A lot of these map issues have had coverage in the past and can save you some time. Both Steve and William can provide more details as well since both have made maps for the game using the system.

Attachments
MapKevin1.jpg
MapKevin1.jpg (68.04 KiB) Viewed 241 times
OTS is looking forward to Southern Storm getting released!

Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder
kevinkins

Post by kevinkins »

But I am trying to make a cliff not a river and it seems the NTC map has a work around. The map does not crash with hexside obstacles define as is.
So like I said the NTC map is using "mock rivers" to create cliffs, I think. A test on the map itself will confirm and I will report back.

Edit: Not a cliff, but virtually blocked, like a >> 45 degree of incline of loose ground if I had to guess.

Thanks.

Kevin
Alfred Thayer Mahan
WildCatNL

Post by WildCatNL »

Hi Kevin,

I created this NTC map, and wanted the units not to move up certain mountain ridges.

Since FCRS doesn't support impassible hex sides, I tried the closest thing: tagging the mountain ridge hexes with maximum mobility hindrance (9) and adding a 'hidden' river at their base. The redundant obstacle codes (the '1' and '5' circled in red by Cap Darwin) don't hurt but are sloppy work from me.
I do advice against using lakes since in FCRS they imply elevation 0, stopping the mountain ridge from blocking lines-of-sight.

As Cap Darwin states, for Southern Storm, we'll be working on supporting impassable hex sides to better represent cliffs, steep mountain sides and river banks in your and our scenarios.

William
William
kevinkins

Post by kevinkins »

Thanks for the clarification. Nothing ventured nothing gained. You can sometimes squeeze the most out of editors by trying things that on first glance seem impossible.

Kevin
Alfred Thayer Mahan

Return to “Scenario School”