Southern Storm... elevator pitch?

The new Cold War turned hot wargame from On Target Simulations, now expanded with the Player's Edition! Choose the NATO or Soviet forces in one of many scenarios or two linked campaigns. No effort was spared to model modern warfare realistically, including armor, infantry, helicopters, air support, artillery, electronic warfare, chemical and nuclear weapons. An innovative new asynchronous turn order means that OODA loops and various effects on C3 are accurately modeled as never before.

Moderators: WildCatNL, cbelva, IronManBeta, CapnDarwin, IronMikeGolf, Mad Russian

mirrorshades

Southern Storm... elevator pitch?

Post by mirrorshades »

I've not been on the forums long enough to have seen all the relevant Southern Storm content, I think. Is there a few-sentence-long overview or description as to the game's topic?

I mean, I get the general idea, just looking for something a bit more specific about the content/topic/setting/whatever.

Thanks!
CapnDarwin

RE: Southern Storm... elevator pitch?

Post by CapnDarwin »

Southern Storm will be the first game based on our new Cold War game engine. This game engine is a head to toes reworking and improving of the Red Storm game engine. Southern Storm will cover the action in Southern Germany in the 80s with forces from America, Canada, United Kingdom, France, West-Germany, Soviet Union, East-Germany, Czechoslovakia. The game engine will have a new UI, many improvements over Red Storm and correct a few errors and address a good number of user requested features and comments. [8D]
OTS is looking forward to Southern Storm getting released!

Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder
On Target Simulations LLC
CapnDarwin

Post by CapnDarwin »

As William was quick to point out to me, we will have the data for UK for folks to make scenarios with, but they will not be featured in any of the Southern Storm scenarios. We will see them again in Central Storm (Red Storm rebuild in the new game engine).

Thanks!

jack54

Post by jack54 »

ORIGINAL: CapnDarwin

... Central Storm (Red Storm rebuild in the new game engine).

Thanks!

[:D]... GREAT news Capn.

Will the 'New engine' require significantly higher computer specs? I'm worried; lately my PC is starting to fail minimum requirements with some newer titles.
Avatar: Me borrowing Albert Ball's Nieuport 17

Counter from Bloody April by Terry Simo (GMT)
CapnDarwin

Post by CapnDarwin »

The only real change at the moment is to a 64bit executable for the game. This has speed up the game and removed the issue with resources on big maps with lots of units and markers.

We are still evaluating a 32bit build and minimum screen size items.

We will start polling folks on some of these items soon to help us out with final decisions. That said, I can state with 100% certainty there will be no native Linux or Mac OS versions or localizations other than English. We are too small a team and already free time challenged. Sorry.

jack54

Post by jack54 »

Thanks Capn.

Looking forward to everything...
Avatar: Me borrowing Albert Ball's Nieuport 17

Counter from Bloody April by Terry Simo (GMT)
Anonymous

[Deleted]

Post by Anonymous »

[Deleted by Admins]
CapnDarwin

Post by CapnDarwin »

... And we know better to try and state one right now... [8D]

exsonic01

Post by exsonic01 »

Let us know any news, screenshots, or time tables about SS whenever they are available. We are all hungry for SS!!
CapnDarwin

Post by CapnDarwin »

We will be dropping some info soon. [8D]

Panzer_Leader

Post by Panzer_Leader »

Will Southern Storm ship with a Canadian campaign? I'm very interested in their European order of battle of the 1980s and keen to try it out against Soviet or Warsaw Pact opposition in your new game engine.
CapnDarwin

Post by CapnDarwin »

Panzer_Leader, we have not yet worked on the campaign side of things at the moment, but I would hope we could get campaigns that feature the main seven nations in some combination. Once we get into campaign work we can talk more clearly on what we will feature in the initial release. [8D]

Panzer_Leader

Post by Panzer_Leader »

Panzer_Leader, we have not yet worked on the campaign side of things at the moment, but I would hope we could get campaigns that feature the main seven nations in some combination. Once we get into campaign work we can talk more clearly on what we will feature in the initial release. [8D]
Thanks CapnDarwin, appreciate the prompt response. I didn't realise I'd jumped the gun on Southern Storm campaign planning but looking forward to learning more about the new game engine and its contents when available. The screenshots from Origins 2019 look very promising!
exsonic01

Post by exsonic01 »

Can we see any SS contents in July? Sorry to push but we are all curious XD
CapnDarwin

Post by CapnDarwin »

I'll talk to the team and see if they are okay with me posting the presentation we made for Origins that talks about a number of our design decisions for the new Cold War game engine that Southern Storm and other Cold War games will use. [8D]

[:(] The answer is not right now since we are still in an alpha with many things still in the works. Give us a few more weeks and hopefully we can say a bit more. [8D] Sorry.

Crossroads

Post by Crossroads »

I'll talk to the team and see if they are okay with me posting the presentation we made for Origins that talks about a number of our design decisions for the new Cold War game engine that Southern Storm and other Cold War games will use. [8D]

[:(] The answer is not right now since we are still in an alpha with many things still in the works. Give us a few more weeks and hopefully we can say a bit more. [8D] Sorry.

"Few more weeks" later [bats eyelashes]

[:)]
Visit us at: Campaign Series Legion
---
CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 < Available now
CS: Middle East 1948-1985 2.0 < 3.0 In the works
CapnDarwin

Post by CapnDarwin »

I've had my reply crash out twice now, third time is the charm I hope. As soon as we get to beta (hopefully in September, guesstimate on my end) we should be able to start the slow rolling show and tell. [8D]

WABAC

Post by WABAC »

As William was quick to point out to me, we will have the data for UK for folks to make scenarios with, but they will not be featured in any of the Southern Storm scenarios. We will see them again in Central Storm (Red Storm rebuild in the new game engine).

Thanks!

Sounds like the old Central Front series by S&T. Hof Gap, BAOR, etc. But we don't have to worry about the cats moving the pieces.
Crossroads

Post by Crossroads »

ORIGINAL: WABAC

Thanks!

Sounds like the old Central Front series by S&T. Hof Gap, BAOR, etc. But we don't have to worry about the cats moving the pieces.
I had picked the magazine ones over the years, but Hof Gap box had proved elusive. Until out of the blue there was a seller at the BGG 2nd hand market, for a decent price too.

Yes, I am showing off. So happy to have the series [&o]

I have a cat too though, it was a struggle to only laying out all maps on floor for a quick look, with the little helper around...

Attachments
PrRBqoEwSM..humb_d4a.jpg
PrRBqoEwSM..humb_d4a.jpg (244.24 KiB) Viewed 1432 times
---
Crossroads

Post by Crossroads »

ORIGINAL: Crossroads

I have a cat too though, it was a struggle to only laying out all maps on floor for a quick look, with the little helper around...

Sorry for the off topic...

Attachments
UNADJUSTED..humb_504.jpg
UNADJUSTED..humb_504.jpg (228.21 KiB) Viewed 1431 times
---

Return to “Flashpoint Campaigns Classic”