The Good in FPC

The new Cold War turned hot wargame from On Target Simulations, now expanded with the Player's Edition! Choose the NATO or Soviet forces in one of many scenarios or two linked campaigns. No effort was spared to model modern warfare realistically, including armor, infantry, helicopters, air support, artillery, electronic warfare, chemical and nuclear weapons. An innovative new asynchronous turn order means that OODA loops and various effects on C3 are accurately modeled as never before.

Moderators: IronMikeGolf, Mad Russian, WildCatNL, cbelva, IronManBeta, CapnDarwin

Hexagon

RE: The Good in FPC

Post by Hexagon »

ORIGINAL: jds1978

Feels like a 'Golden Age of War Gaming' classic.

The command cycle.

Sandbox style editor

Interesting niche topic.

Maybe now you can do it like this to show OOB on map:

-The colour triangle to show the regiment/brigade in NATO and division in WP
-The yellow banner in counter allways present with battalion colour for NATO and Regiment in WP.
-The square around counter appear when you click in an unit and show company units in NATO and battalion in WP.

Maybe the problem is that in the game we have 2 diferent scales by side in units... i like see in game the ability to join units to add more power to player in how deal with diferent situations (for example to join 2 damage companies to have a true company for example).

I know some guys that are going to buy game with the special offer... i really expect see this in SF because for me with the players edition price is an instant buy next year.
ultradave

Post by ultradave »

I like the pop up window that asks what stance to assume after a movement order. Great idea.

And the maps. They are a HUGE improvement.

Those two things stand out for me.
----------------
Dave A.
"When the Boogeyman goes to sleep he checks his closet for paratroopers"
Newsoft75

Post by Newsoft75 »

One thing I really like about this game? It's available on Steam, which made me buy it today. Also, love the new maps and I also think this is the typical "Easy to learn, hard to master" gaming experience. You guys deserve all the success!
Action Camper

Post by Action Camper »

What you did right? Everything[:D] But the most thing i like is the editor. Now i can build historical Bundeswehr battalions with the perfect Chain of Command.

You guys are genius.

Sorry for my bad language.
istari6

Post by istari6 »

I'm in software development myself (medical), so I fully understand a developer's desire to hear something positive once in awhile about the current product. Particularly when OTS is doing such yeoman work in fielding the multiple critiques and ideas for future versions :).

MAJOR

#1. Operational AI. The Soviets move incredibly fast, while maintaining mass and showing flexibility in response to unexpected situations. A great example of this occurred when I was slow repositioning a Bradley company in the opening turns of battle. A T-80 company+ came rolling over the hills at full speed (arriving much sooner than I expected) and caught them in transition, practically annihilating them. I could see the rest of the T-80 battalion massing behind as they continued down the road past my flaming wrecks. I scrambled to put M1s in a blocking position further down the autobahn. The M1s opened up and caught that lead T-80 company in an ambush, devastating them. I smiled waiting for the rest of the battalion to keep rolling into my killing zone. Instead, the rest of the T-80s stopped just out of range, paused, and then took a bypass route SW avoiding my ambush entirely. My jaw dropped. After finally finishing all of the standalone scenarios, I now have a healthy fear of the velocity, mass and agility of the Soviet Army in full attack mode :).

#2. Campaign Design - the overarching plot and the Google Earth plug-in are fantastic. Many fiction authors used Sir John Hackett’s “The Third World War” as their backdrop (see "Team Yankee", "The Chieftains", etc) and called it a day, focusing their attention on creating specific tactical battles. Instead, the OTS team took the time to construct a plausible 1989 storyline putting NATO in a worst-case scenario, then showing how the various battles all interconnected at the operational/strategic level as part of Red Storm. I really enjoyed “following the story” as I moved from scenario to scenario in chronological order and uncovered what was happening to NATO, and it created an extra level of drama when I was fighting "back to the wall" scenarios like "12 Bravo", "Test of Wills" and "Thor's Hammer".

3. Scenario Design - the main impression is tension, tension, tension. Every scenario I played was a challenge, and the pressure was unrelenting. Mistakes were punished, sometimes brutally. Only a few times did I feel like I mastered the enemy early and then proceeded to beat him up at my leisure. Several times I suffered an outright Decisive Defeat in my first play through (hello Pied Piper!) and saw what Soviet doctrine looked like when it worked as designed. The scenarios were always well-balanced, challenging and yet still managed to show the full range of the game engine. I never felt like I was fighting the same battle twice.

3. OOB UI - others have already commented on this, but wanted to call out the ease of cross-attachments and the way in which out-of-command units are highlighted in red. Makes it very easy to understand what's happening with the command net as units are fragmented under the stresses of battle, and I've enjoyed the process of creating customized units via cross-attachments during the setup phase to meet specific tactical challenges. I'd always heard this kind of cross-attachment was a strength of NATO's (the US and UK in particular), and it was gratifying to have a chance to use it in practice (and suffer the consequences when I didn't pay attention to the command relationships).

4. Readiness - I appreciate the way this single variable responds to the various stresses and strains of the battlefield. It's an elegant mechanic that shows how long road marches in tactical formation wear down a unit even without any enemy contact (I'm looking at you, Challenger I platoons). Or the way in which even harassing artillery fire gradually undermines the combat effectiveness of a force. Or the way in which Readiness plunges after a prolonged period of sustained firefights. Units just get "fought out" in an organic way that feels right, and really limits the NATO commander's ability to rely on a few wunderwaffen like other games.

5. Tactical AI - while there are specific "corner cases" where the AI will be further improved for future versions, overall the tactical responses of individual units really "make sense". My units will pull back even when on Hold orders when they've reached a certain level. The way they'll pull back and find cover to Resupply on their own. The way in which units pause and sidestep when meeting unexpected obstacles. They show enough initiative to add realistic self-preservation, without having so much they're constantly breaking the overall plan.

6. Meaningful Options - as Sid Meier famously said, game design is about "giving the player meaningful choices". The options for movement, artillery and other tactical choices are few but meaningful. Hasty Movement and Deliberate Movement have real impacts on gameplay. Same with Harassing versus Neutralizing. Yet I don't feel burdened by lots of choices that are there just because it "adds realism", without really affecting the tactical choices.

THE LITTLE THINGS

1. Thermals Modeling - very cool details like the way that the morning haze affects thermals, or the variability of sighting under different conditions of rain (seen most vividly in "Test of Wills". Learned a few things about thermal sights here!

2. Colored LOS Overlay - I appreciate the way that LOS tool is colored by ease of sighting into the specific hex. It's a little touch, but really helps the player grasp the situation quickly.

3. FSCC as a toggleable option during the game - I appreciate that this UI component is exposed and can be switched on and off during the battle. Another of those little things that show careful attention to the UI and what the player will need exposed rather than buried in submenus.

4. Uncertainty in Enemy #s - at first I was confused when the enemy tank companies kept shifting in size :). Weren't there 8 there a minute ago? Why are there now 6? Why are they up to 10? What is going on? Then I realized the game is modeling the inherent uncertainty in reporting from men under stress and with varying visibility in a battlefield swept with smoke and fire. Nice touch.

Hope this gives some helpful feedback to the OTS team on all they've done right with the current version!

Chris

henri51

Post by henri51 »

I have not played enough yet to judge to what extent it is possible (I am still in the tutorial), but I would like to see the game (or scenarios) to implement the concepts of "Maneuver Warfare Handbook" by William S. Lind, and "The Art of Maneuver" by Robert Leonhard. Implementing the Boyd cycle in this game is a good step in the right direction.Maybe some of the scenarios described in the above books could be adapted for this game?
WABAC

Post by WABAC »

ORIGINAL: henri51

I have not played enough yet to judge to what extent it is possible (I am still in the tutorial), but I would like to see the game (or scenarios) to implement the concepts of "Maneuver Warfare Handbook" by William S. Lind, and "The Art of Maneuver" by Robert Leonhard. Implementing the Boyd cycle in this game is a good step in the right direction.Maybe some of the scenarios described in the above books could be adapted for this game?

In keeping with the OP I would like to say that one of the nice things about this game is the tool set provided to create your own scenarios.
ultradave

Post by ultradave »

I should add one more thing to the 2 I listed above. FP:RS has a somewhat unique perspective into operational level warfare. Somewhat similar to Battles for the Bulge, but brought forward to the modern era. (with BFTB you have to consciously avoid stopping and meddling, whereas here you are forced to set up and let it run). I think one of the major things that appeals to me about it is that it is about the same perspective I had as an active duty Army officer when I was brigade fire support officer. It has the same feel as planning out an operation at the same level I worked at. Interesting to see how some of the things "game out" that we practiced for in real life, and covers the same time period.

I enjoy the aspect of NOT having to micromanage every action on the board, but rather plan ahead and then see how the plan unfolds. It's more akin to being in the HQ and watching the same thing..
----------------
Dave A.
"When the Boogeyman goes to sleep he checks his closet for paratroopers"
raventhefuhrer

Post by raventhefuhrer »

I have a few things to add or reiterate.

1) Steam - I've heard it alleged that Matrix Games prices their games too highly, and I'd probably agree. Sight unseen, I wouldn't have shelled out $60. However, over the week I saw this on Steam, heavily discounted, and purchased it. I mention this because, without Steam I never would've heard of this game, and without the discount I likely wouldn't have bought it even had I known about it. So I think this was a good relationship, and I hope you continue it with future titles. I am an accountant by trade so I understand a little of what goes into deciding on a price point, so I know people who criticize your chosen price points may be doing so unfairly. I just hope the increased volume of sales from Steam is a worthwhile relationship.

2) Developer Support - you are engaged on the forums. I even posted a thread on Steam and a developer responded to it within an hour as I recall. Obviously that can't and won't always be typical, but it's a pleasant surprise.

3) Immersion - the tone of the game is very nice. For essentially watching squares shoot blue/red lines at each other, the action is surprisingly riveting as you pray for the tell-tale explosion bloom to signify a kill, and then hope more follow. Oftentimes seeing your enemy do something, and then hurriedly trying to react leads to a great amount of excitement and suspense. So you have done basically the best job possible in making this sort of game exciting.

4) Tutorial - you guys did a good job with the tutorial scenario and the accompanied PDF. After playing through the tutorial successfully, following what essentially was an illustrated walkthrough, I understood the game a lot better.
CapnDarwin

Post by CapnDarwin »

We are glad to see that you are enjoying the game.
OTS is looking forward to Southern Storm getting released!

Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder
On Target Simulations LLC
ashandresash

Post by ashandresash »

I agree with raventhefuhrer about Steam: though I know Matrix games, the release price offer made me get into FPC, and I'm now thrilled. What have I enjoyed more of it than in other Matrix games?

1) Tutorial. Enough explanations, lot of game features showed... make of it a well designed one.

2) Gameplay. The asimmetry in order periods and the WEGO resolution are very, very immersive. I also like how sudden and fast the combat is, which is what you should expect in such a war.

3) Complexity and micromanagement vs. repetition. I love micromanagement when it's not repetition but taking into account game information to decisiones and actions. I like the idea of penalizing the number and/or change of orders in order to make planification more important.

4) Variety (for real!) of units. Though I've only played the tutorial scenario I am very impressed by the effect of a few well-placed Anti-Tank Strikers.

5) For last, but not for least, the map. It's as beautiful as detailed.

My two cents. In a few weeks, having played a little more I'd like to share more thoughts about it.
CapnDarwin

Post by CapnDarwin »

Thanks for the kind words. WE are working hard to kill bugs in the current version and also getting underway in the new game too.

Panzer_Leader

Post by Panzer_Leader »

I keep coming back to the game for:

- The period. The late Cold War and hypothetical "Cold War gone hot" scenarios fascinate me
- The ability to play my favourite units of this period: 11th ACR, British tank regiment and Soviet tank regiment. I'll love it even more if/when the Danes and Canadians are added
- The level of command. I've played Steel Beasts at battalion minus level for a long time. I love playing FPC:RS for battalion plus command
- Being able to command a Soviet tank regiment and apply everything I've studied and learnt about Soviet tactics from books, field manuals and papers over the years (talk about otherwise useless knowledge for a civilian...)
- The accurate orders of battle and tables of organisation and equipment. Everything feels about "right"
- The intuitive user interface. I think I jumped in and started playing the demo without seeing the manual. Of course there's a lot to learn but you can jump straight in and start playing if you want to
- The application of EW and jamming, asynchronous orders cycles and limited orders per turn. Again, this all just feels "right". EW would have been prevalent on the Cold War European battlefield and it's good to see it modelled
- The modelling of artillery, multiple options for fire orders and limited ammunition; air support and air defence artillery are all very nicely done. They feel balanced and add greatly to the immersion of the game
- PBEM. It's so much fun to go head-to-head with a mate over email. Given other commitments a battle can play out over weeks. And a human opponent is less rational and predictable than the AI. PBEM is just fun!
- The T-80BV. I dunno why, but seeing that thing roll towards NATO lines as a Soviet player is just so evocative
- The commitment of the development team to the game and its users. Your level of dialogue with us is just fantastic

Keep up the great work! I look forward to seeing where this goes.
CapnDarwin

Post by CapnDarwin »

Panzer_Leader, thanks! We are actively listening to you our players and working on getting into the 2.1 coding now with 2.08 getting prepped for release, early next week (we had a whoops with sending the wrong exe builds to Matrix hence the bit of delay). We will be working on add a number of features both user requested and also from our design list. WE will also be working on some scenario/map packs to keep Red Storm going during the 2.1 Dev cycle.

And yes I think the T-80BV is a sharp looking tank too.

kool_kat

Post by kool_kat »

Gents: [8D]

I just started playing FPC-RS, but here are a couple of items (Classic PBeM) that I like: [:)]

(1.) Automatic incremental file numbering
(2.) Text box - Ability to write short messages to your opponent
Regards, - Mike

"You have to learn the rules of the game. And then you have to play better than anyone else." - Albert Einstein
HeinzBaby

Post by HeinzBaby »

I just got this Sim, played a couple of the smaller scenarios and just finished the 'School Teacher' campaign...bloody Great!.
The Maps are brilliant, no longer will GLORIOUS RED ARMY get lost advancing to Antwerpten!
Asynchronous (we-go) movement is cool, many a time I've yelled-headbanged the keyboard watching my units to assault/deliberate move into a hex only to be pipped at the post by that shifty smart arsed AI.
FSCC, apart from the occasional arty 'stonk' with ICM/minelets I just about let the IA handle my FS, the IA seems more responsive if I let it get on with the job.
LOS is very good, nothing more satisfying than a well executed ambush!
'Screen' command, mmm.. not too good. I'd prefer it too be just that ie, when a recon unit gets a hit, I'd like it to get out of Dodge..
'Limited Staff Rule' I don't use, as I understand it, this only applies to yourself and not to the AI. If it were global I'd use it.
did I say the Maps are brilliant?
Heia Safari
harry_vdk

Post by harry_vdk »

CapnDarwin

Post by CapnDarwin »

We are happy to have made the list. [X(]

Mad Russian

Post by Mad Russian »

It's a high honor to be on that list.

Good Hunting.

MR
The most expensive thing in the world is free time.

Founder of HSG scenario design group for Combat Mission.
Panzer Command Ostfront Development Team.
Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm Development Team.
jungelsj_slith

Post by jungelsj_slith »

Fantastic wargame. I've barely scratched the surface in terms of play time, but here are my likes -

-Modern, easy to use interface. Tired of wargames being designed as if it were 20 years ago!

-Clean, attractive graphics - especially with the new map art, this got me interested in the game when browsing screenshots.

-Great balance between complexity and playability. Super easy to get into, not bogged down or overwhelmed with minutia

-Modable! This is so awesome, doesn't seem like most wargames let you go past making scenarios.

-Engine seems like it's scaleable across a wide range of conflicts, I can imagine it being around for a long time like TAOW, etc

-Developers active in the community - so cool to have your questions answered by a dev.

Thanks for the game!

Return to “Flashpoint Campaigns Classic”