Bacon Mod

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario, art and sound modding and the game editor for Distant Worlds.

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

Noyyau

RE: Bacon Mod

Post by Noyyau »

ORIGINAL: Noyyau
5) The "guess strategy" minigame for ground invasions
I don't think I've ever invaded a pirate world. I'll have to look into that. At least your post gives confirmation that someone actually uses the invasion mini-game. How do you like it? Too easy? Too hard? Too boring?
Tested some more and I couldn't reproduce my own problem, so I guess that was a momentary interface problem or something.
Minigame opens up during any ground combat it seems, invade standard empires, invade pirate-owned planet, even during clearing of pirate facilities on a planet I own.
Took me a number of attempts to understand how it works. The bar at the top is how many attempts are available (filling up as I use them, though green is kinda unintuitive for that), gold star is correct guess in correct place, silver star is correct guess in wrong place.
My main problem now is purely graphical: the background image makes it somewhat difficult to comfortably read the text past the first few attempts, dark text on dark image.
As far as difficulty goes, now that I understand the concept it isn't too difficult, though I'll try it some more and see how it averages out.

Currently playing a pirate game and the invasion "guess strategy" minigame is fantastic for pirate raids against planets!
Also there seems to be no limit to how many times it can be replayed on the same ongoing ground combat, even immediately after the preceding attempt, no matter if the previous one was successful or not.
Did a test and after several successful "guesses" my few pirate raiders overwhelmed several infantry troops!
Now it's just a matter of self-control to use only one attempt per raid/invasion.
Buddah

Post by Buddah »

Hello, I can't seem to get the exe to work. I when I click on it nothing happens. As far as I can tell there is no issue with anti-virus as I'm not getting any warnings or pop ups, it just wont run. Anyone experience this or have any suggestions?
Clux

Post by Clux »

Hi!

I tried playing DW U again after several years and I installed your mod, but I had several issues when I tried to use it, first it gave me error messages with the lines that had "Plague Change" and "Allowed Races", by adding ' before these lines I stopped getting said error, but the mod still doesn't load and the game keeps crashing.
Amateurs talk about strategy. Professionals talk about logistics!
QuantumAnubis

RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended)

Post by QuantumAnubis »

I know I've asked this before but it's been a while and I can't find it in the thread. Does anyone have a list of the keybinds that get added with this mod? I'll be sure to screenshot the post this time so I'll never have to ask again.
Retreat1970

Post by Retreat1970 »

Should be in the baconmod readme that comes with the download
QuantumAnubis

Post by QuantumAnubis »

Thanks, I also noticed that it's in the description in the first post so I'm just blind.
CaesarAug

Re: Bacon Mod

Post by CaesarAug »

The Bacon Mod really adds new dimensions to Distant Worlds Universe. It’s frankly, rather awesome!

Just wondering, though… I figured that by setting to “false”, the Bacon Mod 1.82 would stop generating savestats for the player’s Empire and for Pirates. But it keeps generating these files. It’s not a major issue but is there any way to stop it from generating these files? Thanks so much!

Also… ever since patch 1.9.5.8, there is a visual glitch in the ship design screen, specifically when viewing a design, under the weapons panel, in the sub-panel to the right where the word “targetting” appears cut off from the top, as well as any percentage amount. The word itself can be edited to say “targeting” but the visual glitch remains. The original game-install version 1.9.5.0 (and up through patch 1.9.5.7 as far as I’m aware) did not have this issue.

Is there any way to correct this with the last 1.9.5.12 patch?
rogerbacon51

Post by rogerbacon51 »

CaesarAug wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 12:12 pm The Bacon Mod really adds new dimensions to Distant Worlds Universe. It’s frankly, rather awesome!

Just wondering, though… I figured that by setting to “false”, the Bacon Mod 1.82 would stop generating savestats for the player’s Empire and for Pirates. But it keeps generating these files. It’s not a major issue but is there any way to stop it from generating these files? Thanks so much!
Thanks for the kind words. It was a labor of love for about 3 years.

If I recall correctly, setting the logging flag will only affect new games and not when loading saved games.
bobisback

Post by bobisback »

Is it possible to play this mod with an AI improvement mods?

Also it looks like the Bacon - UE- and das chrome mod is popular, anyone know if it works with the latest version of hte bacon mod?
krighaur

Post by krighaur »

bobisback wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 3:36 am Is it possible to play this mod with an AI improvement mods?

Also it looks like the Bacon - UE- and das chrome mod is popular, anyone know if it works with the latest version of hte bacon mod?
Try this one : Bacon + ue + daschrome

https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... 2&t=324754
wbalthrop

Bacon Mod Virus

Post by wbalthrop »

Will you be releasing a virus free version soon. My PC blocks this mod from even downloading.
Retreat1970

Post by Retreat1970 »

Roger wrote:

Note that BitDefender (and possibly others) still falg the exe as a virus. This made compiling and building quite bothersome. When you copy the ese your AV will probably delete it. For BitDefender just click "restore" and you will be fine. You will have to do this for each folder location where you copy the exe. I will sent the file to Bid Defender today and ask them to fix their false positive. I guess I shouldn't be too upset. I'd rather suffere through a hundred false positives than one false negative.

I run it with no issues, but it's up to you.
wbalthrop

Post by wbalthrop »

I turned off the sec scan and got the mod. Got it installed with the others, the video how to helped a ton. Well, it's all working. Can't wait to get started :)
wbalthrop

Post by wbalthrop »

I can't find anything in the guides, but are research stations not a thing any more now that science ships are a thing. I have my standard research station with all three labs and my research is still at the base default amount. So, I doubled the labs for each type, and research did not change. Is there a new mechanic I'm missing?
Update: once the labs finished building I did get some research, it's just much lower per lab. I maxed out my research base with 16 labs each and just barely meet the potential. However, I now have a worse problem:

The first game this happened, I though it was a fluke. The first pirates I encountered refused a protection agreement and immediately started build a criminal network on my planet. I've never seen this behavior before and I had no clue it was happening. Anyway my empire was defeated before even got the warp bubble. Second game ended the same way, defeat in the first 20 min. Not sure if this is supposed to happen, but I'll have to turn pirates off for now :(
Retreat1970

Post by Retreat1970 »

In the research station tab in the research window you will see: Total empire research potential. This number (based on population, difficulty, race etc...) is the max research you can perform. As long as the total research capacity ,under weapons, energy, and high tech (added together), are = or > than the total empire research potential you are ok and researching at max. Building too much or too little is a waste. Having many explorers (bacon mod) with research will dramatically put you over cap, but it doesn't really matter as long as you're not under cap.

For pirates, I never had a pirate refuse my payment. They may cancel quickly but just do it again. If an early pirate is destroying your game use the editor.
Chris21wen

Post by Chris21wen »

I'm hoping this is still moniored regularly as I have a problem with mining ships and Alt-Shift-A. It doesn't work. Searching tells me it should be Alt-Shift-M, the A being a typo, but this does not work either. In doth instances I'm using Alt-2 to set detination before using either command. Help appreciated.

Alt-M works well.

I've also just found Alt-U but not tried it yet.
rfxcasey

Post by rfxcasey »

Mod is being flagged by my antivirus as having a trojan.
Chris21wen

Post by Chris21wen »

rfxcasey wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 7:04 pm Mod is being flagged by my antivirus as having a trojan.
My system complained about its installation as it's not been registered as OK with Microsoft but no virus has been found by my system.
Chris21wen

Re: RE: Bacon Mod

Post by Chris21wen »

RogerBacon wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:02 am
ORIGINAL: Hanekem

I liked the mod, seems interesting and mininalist (and I like that adding tons of stuff not always is a good thing) but I am not too fond of the Star Grav wells, so can they be modded either reduced in AoE or dismissed completely? (it does render the Hyperdeny a bit of a moot tech for stations...)

The Gravity Well feature can be turned off in the BaconSettings.txt file.
useStarGravityWells=false
You can off course still put them on ships.
Noyyau

Post by Noyyau »

Chris21wen wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 7:15 am I'm hoping this is still moniored regularly as I have a problem with mining ships and Alt-Shift-A. It doesn't work. Searching tells me it should be Alt-Shift-M, the A being a typo, but this does not work either. In doth instances I'm using Alt-2 to set detination before using either command. Help appreciated.

Alt-M works well.

I've also just found Alt-U but not tried it yet.
Hi, I had already stumbled on the mining missions, see post:
https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... 6#p4755526

Return to “Design and Modding”