Having trouble winning Battles

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies and ship designs with fellow gamers here.

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

LordMM

Having trouble winning Battles

Post by LordMM »

So , i seem to have a hard time winning fleet battles...
AM using the UEII mod and entire enemy fleet seems to be using missiles with its 1200 range. I can't seem to really win any engagement, i tried increasing the speed by adding more thrusters but every battle with a similar sized fleet seems to end up with a loss.

Am using shatter force lasers, heavy cruisers with 175 attack and 1000 shields with 100 or so excess energy. My entire fleet attack strength is around 4500, enemy seems to have 30 odd ships with 60 - 100 attack per ship.This is purely a fleet battle, have not tried attacking their homeworld.

Not sure if it is a problem with my ship design. I cant post any pics or files due to posting restrictions
It is better to live your own destiny imperfectly, than to live somebody else's life with perfection.
Bingeling

RE: Having trouble winning Battles

Post by Bingeling »

How does the battles unfold, are you able to start shooting, or are you killed before getting into range?

I do not have the game here to check values, nor do I mess much with designs, but I wonder if you are not way short on power. Your 100 excess energy should cover sprint speed, your weapon energy use, and a bit more (shield recharge). Is that total really as low as 100? If you lack power, the effect would be that you do way less damage than the firepower indicates, since the weapons lack power to shoot at full capacity.
LordMM

Post by LordMM »

Enemy seems to have missiles, i think i get shot from outside my ships Range and since my ships uses blasters they can only fire at targets within their range while others are frantically trying to get in range. Strangely i seem some of the ships don't fire at all even when in Range
It is better to live your own destiny imperfectly, than to live somebody else's life with perfection.
Bingeling

Post by Bingeling »

What is the energy numbers? Excess energy (green?), max weapon use (above the list of weapons, the number that is not damage), sprint energy use, (shown above/below sprint speed in the colored speed overview). If short of energy you should move more slowly as well (while shooting).

A possible reason for "not shooting" is that they may be heading for a ship further away, and are not able to figure out "let's shoot at the close ones while we travel". Pause the game and check the orders of the non-shooters. Also, to have your ships "gang up more", head into Menu (escape) - Options - Empire Settings and increase the overmatch. Maybe it helps a bit?

It could be that the enemy is faster and tries to keep distance, while you are not able to close the distance, and that you are at a very wrong end of "rock, paper...".

Apart from that, if I discover that my fleets are not up to the job, I add more stuff to the fleet. In the ancient past, I was stuck with weak AI ships, and met a mighty Zenox well shielded enemy I could not hurt. And ended up doing a bit bad maths when trying to figure out how many ships would be needed.

It did not work at all, it was a bit beyond what the game managed to process. They did less damage than the fleet of 15-20 had done [:'(]

Return to “The War Room”