Birth of the Terran Republic

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

Data

RE: Birth of the Terran Republic

Post by Data »

The ship is so massive that it naturally generates its own extremely small, yet still detectable gravity field.

cool, getting a death star vibe here [:)]
...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....
Cavgunner

Post by Cavgunner »

Epilogue

Wow, 5200 views! I never imagined this thread would get so much attention.

Obviously I haven't posted in a while. Fear not; the story of the Terran Republic does continue, but instead of war it becomes a story of peace and prosperity. By 2776 the Ita Supremacy was finished militarily. They were no longer capable of producing any ships larger than a frigate, their merchant shipping had been annihilated, and those few ships that did slip their moorings had a life expectancy measured in months. By 2780 the Republic began conducting major ground invasions on core Dhayut colonies near Ita. On each occasion the use of vast numbers of Battlebots meant that the Dhayut defenders were outnumbered over 10 to 1.

With a massive Republic incursion only a short jump away from Ita, the Dhayuts finally realized that if the war continued, their nation would be utterly annihilated. Needless to say, it was then, but only then, that the Republic was finally able to bring the Ita Supremacy to the peace table.

As you can see in the pic below, the Ita Supremacy's western frontier is now the Republic's new southern frontier. Ita is selected near bottom right of screen.

And so, with that, the Zentabia War finally drew to a close. 12 years of bloody conflict had seen the destruction of hundreds of ships and an estimated 400 million sentients killed. Although the cost was unspeakably high the Republic succeeded in securing peace for all time. By 2781 there was no longer any faction capable of threatening the Republic militarily. Even the Shakturi, had I continued playing until their arrival, would have arrived far too late to seriously challenge the Republic.

I feel that Distant Worlds is a great game, but I do have a few criticisms.

1) We need enforceable borders. I see that this is getting resolved in a future expansion. That is really good; having alien empires set up shop in the middle of MY territory is extremely aggravating.
2) Lack of productivity from the AI. Even when the Ita Supremacy had more worlds, cash, and resources than my once-tiny Republic, I was still able to outbuild them. The AI simply doesn't pursue shipbuilding as aggressively as it should, and they definitely don't build as many *large* ships as they should.
3) The Shakturi need to arrive much, much earlier than then currently do in order to represent a real threat.

So to the DW forum, thank you. I hope you enjoyed reading this as much as I enjoyed writing it.

Data

Post by Data »

Hope fail....we enjoyed it more
...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....
martok

Post by martok »

Indeed. That was a fun read, Cavgunner. Thanks for sharing it with us!

"Evil is easy, and has infinite forms." -- Pascal

Grisha

Post by Grisha »

A late-comer to DW, but I love this game. Great story, Cavgunner!

Can't wait to see what Legend offers in the story-telling department.
Best regards,
Greg Guerrero
netjam99

Post by netjam99 »

This AAR was the tipping point, I bought the game after reading it. Great stuff.
Tomatoes

Post by Tomatoes »

Really good AAR. Short but very well told and presented. I read the whole thing in one!

Really like how you created the solar system

Im intrested in doing the same thing. Did you manually look for Sol?

I was playing on huge galaxy and looked but couldnt see it or a way of searching for the system
Even a clock that does not work is right twice a day
Cavgunner

Post by Cavgunner »

ORIGINAL: Tomatoes

Really good AAR. Short but very well told and presented. I read the whole thing in one!

Really like how you created the solar system

Im intrested in doing the same thing. Did you manually look for Sol?

I was playing on huge galaxy and looked but couldnt see it or a way of searching for the system

Thanks again for all the comments. There is occasionally a "Sol" system that appears on each map. However, since it is randomly generated, it will rarely look very much like the actual Solar System. Unfortunately there isn't an easy way to search for a specific system in the editor either. For those reasons I created the whole system from scratch with the Game Editor.
Modest

Post by Modest »

In my opinion Your AAR is one of the best :) There were better one, but usually not finished. You not only made it very good, but also finished it :) Very good writing, especially (in my opinion, of course) when You describet at the begining of Zentabia War the battle against outnumbering enemy and an attempt to stop it's troop from making planetary invasion. It was just epic how You introduced coming of the secondary Hi-Tech ship :)
Anonymous

[Deleted]

Post by Anonymous »

[Deleted by Admins]
Cavgunner

Post by Cavgunner »

Apologies for the necro. I haven't posted here in YEARS, but I have occasionally remembered this AAR (and its goofy low-res Photobucket images) with fondness. Imagine my astonishment to log in again after so long, and to see that this AAR has now earned nearly 22,000 views. I think this has to be my most viewed post on any subject, anywhere.

To everyone that responded or just took a peek, THANK YOU. You guys are awesome.
Hattori Hanzo

Post by Hattori Hanzo »

still one of the best Distant Worlds AAR in this forum: your NECRO is highly appreciated here [X(]
cheers CavGunner [8D]
chaosegg

Post by chaosegg »

ORIGINAL: Hattori Hanzo

still one of the best Distant Worlds AAR in this forum: your NECRO is highly appreciated here
cheers
This!
Reading this (and a few other AAR's from games like Dwarf Fortress and Nethack), have inspired me to do more 'write-ups';
so,
[&o]
Thank you!
Modify, upgrade, build, or destroy;
in the end 'what' must follow 'why',
and if you have no answer for 'why',
then "to reduce suffering" is a good start.

Return to “After Action Reports”