So! What if you can't get DW2 to work.

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

Chris21wen

So! What if you can't get DW2 to work.

Post by Chris21wen »

According to minimum spec my machine won't run DW2. That, plus all the initial problems it's got made me delay any attempt to run it through steam, were I can get my money back if it doen't (wish there was a free demo so I didn't have to use steam), unitl later. In the mean time I've tried this mod Bacon Mod + RetreatUE + Das Chrome.

It's not straight forward to install mainly because the correct two zip files reuired (Bacon mod and RetreatUE + Das Chrome) are difficult to find, or at least I found it so. And then there's a patch to RetreatUE. Once you've installed them all I still got an error when swapping to the RetreatUE theme and it turned out to be one too many races. One of the race.txt files was duplicated due to different spelling.

Once working there are a miriade of changes that almost make into a different game. The main on is the gravity well around planets were you cannot go into warp having to use impluse to get beyond. This has all sort of consuquences not least the need for more engines. The mod has also treaked fuel, you need much, much more of it to get any different when you start off.

Oh and the research table has changed. Ther'e are more most of which I 've not got round to yet having only just started.

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”