New Feature Idea

Okayrun3254

New Feature Idea

Post by Okayrun3254 »

I am playing some larger scenarios, and I have a suggestion for a new movement feature. During planning, I make my move orders, and as my plan develops, sometimes I see a better way to achieve my objectives. If I want to change a move order for a unit that I did moves for many moves back from the current move order, I would have to undue all the moves to get back to the unit I want to change. It would be nice if at a minimum, there was a "cancel move" button for each unit, so I could re-set its movement.
Saint Ruth

RE: New Feature Idea

Post by Saint Ruth »

ORIGINAL: Okayrun3254

I am playing some larger scenarios, and I have a suggestion for a new movement feature. During planning, I make my move orders, and as my plan develops, sometimes I see a better way to achieve my objectives. If I want to change a move order for a unit that I did moves for many moves back from the current move order, I would have to undue all the moves to get back to the unit I want to change. It would be nice if at a minimum, there was a "cancel move" button for each unit, so I could re-set its movement.
Ah, there is. Press U to undo. Backspace removes one single move, U removed all moves (U also removes an entire battle, backspace will just remove a single unit from that battle).
[8D]
Okayrun3254

Post by Okayrun3254 »

ORIGINAL: Saint Ruth

Ah, there is. Press U to undo. Backspace removes one single move, U removed all moves (U also removes an entire battle, backspace will just remove a single unit from that battle).
[8D]

I did not know the U button will remove an entire battle. That is very helpful.

The undue move buttons are very handy for undoing a move right after I made the move, and maybe any previous moves to the current one. I am looking for a way to cancel a move that is maybe 20 moves before the current move. Sometimes during planning I will make moves, and then realize I want to move a unit that I set a path for 20 moves ago to a different move path. I don't know a way to cancel that previous move without canceling all 20 moves made after it. It would be nice if I could go to the unit and hit a button that is embedded in each unit to cancel the move.
Saint Ruth

Post by Saint Ruth »

Not sure I understand you.

If you order a unit to move: A -> B -> C -> D -> ... -> Z, then you mean cancel move B -> C?
But then how will the unit get from A -> D?
Okayrun3254

Post by Okayrun3254 »

Not sure I understand you.

If you order a unit to move: A -> B -> C -> D -> ... -> Z, then you mean cancel move B -> C?
But then how will the unit get from A -> D?

Yes, its kind of difficult to put into words. Lets say I am in the planning phase as the Allies. I have 10 battalions (units) I can give move orders too. I set the move order for unit number 1. I move on to the next battalion (unit 2). I set the move orders for unit 2. This goes on until I set move orders for all (10) battalions/units, with the last move being unit number 10. All my units now have move orders. I decide I want to do something different with unit number 1. I want to move unit number 1 in a different direction than it is set. To change the move orders for unit number 1 I have to use the undue feature to change all the move orders starting with my last move (unit number 10) until I get back to unit number 1. I don't want to cancel the move orders for units 2-10, I only want to cancel unit 1's move order change and give it a new move order without canceling all the subsequent move orders I gave to units 2-10. It would be nice if I could just click unit 1 and have a cancel move button on the unit 1 counter itself. I hope this is a better explanation.
Saint Ruth

Post by Saint Ruth »

But can't you put the cursor over unit 1 and press U, and that'll undo all unit 1's orders (leaving the orders for units 2-10 intact)?
Or put the cursor over unit 1 and press backspace to remove some of unit 1's orders?
You can tell the cursor's over unit 1 because it's highlighted in the right-hand unit display area.
Okayrun3254

Post by Okayrun3254 »

But can't you put the cursor over unit 1 and press U, and that'll undo all unit 1's orders (leaving the orders for units 2-10 intact)?
Or put the cursor over unit 1 and press backspace to remove some of unit 1's orders?
You can tell the cursor's over unit 1 because it's highlighted in the right-hand unit display area.

Yes, that worked perfectly. Thanks!
Okayrun3254

Post by Okayrun3254 »

One feature I would really like to see is a hex control shading. A computer wargame has this ability to shade in the areas a player controls, which helps the player have a quick feel for the overall situation, and help with planning.

While playing Tough Old Gut - Salerno, I have self propelled artillery units in the OB. I would think that a SP Art unit should be able to fire after movement. They typically have a shorter range, but with the ability to move and fire in the same phase would be an interesting adjustment to the game.
bcgames

Post by bcgames »

One feature I would really like to see is a hex control shading. A computer wargame has this ability to shade in the areas a player controls, which helps the player have a quick feel for the overall situation, and help with planning.
Interesting idea. Describe what this hex control capability displays.
While playing Tough Old Gut - Salerno, I have self propelled artillery units in the OB. I would think that a SP Art unit should be able to fire after movement. They typically have a shorter range, but with the ability to move and fire in the same phase would be an interesting adjustment to the game.
I think this is a good idea. Saint Ruth and I talked about this type of capability years ago...but I can't recall our position on the matter.
sol_invictus

Post by sol_invictus »

Not sure if this is the best place for this but while we are talking new features; has any thought been put into changing the way that supplies are eliminated at the end of a turn whether they are actually used or not? Is there a relatively easy way to track usage and having the ability for HQ's to accumulate unused fuel or ammo? Might be more hassle than it would be worth but something like how V4V/W@W does it would be most welcome. Know nothing about programing so maybe this is much more complicated than I imagine.
"The fruit of too much liberty is slavery", Cicero
bcgames

Post by bcgames »

The goal of our supply system has always been to simplify--even the bean counting--to the easiest level of comprehension. If you have ideas about how to make bean counting even more simpler--we are all ears. Simple is better. Click-DONE logistics--that is our objective.
sol_invictus

Post by sol_invictus »

ORIGINAL: bcgames

The goal of our supply system has always been to simplify--even the bean counting--to the easiest level of comprehension. If you have ideas about how to make bean counting even more simpler--we are all ears. Simple is better. Click-DONE logistics--that is our objective.

I agree, nobody wants to spend several minutes each turn scanning lists fiddling with supply issues. Not sure if possible or how easy it would be to implement but if the program could track unused supply and make it possible to allow the player to use Combat+ or Movement+ without drawing down the overall Ammo or Fuel pool that would be great.
jmlima

Post by jmlima »

ORIGINAL: sol_invictus
...Might be more hassle than it would be worth but something like how V4V/W@W does it would be most welcome. ...

Still the best way I've seen of dealing in a simple and straightforward way with this aspect of games.

sol_invictus

Post by sol_invictus »

ORIGINAL: jmlima

...Might be more hassle than it would be worth but something like how V4V/W@W does it would be most welcome. ...

Still the best way I've seen of dealing in a simple and straightforward way with this aspect of games.

Yeah I never felt like the V4V/W@W system was a pain to use and it was remarkably elegant. DW does some things better imo; namely with airpower and the defense against it; but supply is not one of those things.
bcgames

Post by bcgames »

ORIGINAL: bcgames

I agree, nobody wants to spend several minutes each turn scanning lists fiddling with supply issues. Not sure if possible or how easy it would be to implement but if the program could track unused supply and make it possible to allow the player to use Combat+ or Movement+ without drawing down the overall Ammo or Fuel pool that would be great.
Good idea. Implemented in Stalingrad 1942 via a new asset type--Logistics. Brian has created a Monster in this department for the scenario creator. Duck yer nut--there's incoming...

Return to “Future Ideas”