Game wont open up

Your panzer is not running well? Stop here and tell us what's happening!
RudiDutschke

Game wont open up

Post by RudiDutschke »

Hallo!

I downloaded and installed the game with the newest patch. The install process creates a file named "Desert War 1940-1942 (Game Menu)", I start this, and it opens the game menu, there I click on "PLAY GAME". And then suddenly my "Acrobat Reader" opens up with the message, that the Acrobat Reader couldnt open "DesertWar.jar" because the filetype is not supported. When I open the file directory from Deser War, I cant find a DesertWar.exe to open it like this.

Do you have a solution about this?

Thank you.
Saint Ruth

Re: Game wont open up

Post by Saint Ruth »

Hi,

Can you open the dir:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Matrix Games\Stalingrad

and in there you'll see the start.exe. Try starting the game with that.
You can also try the start.bat.
or
startGameWithConsole.bat if those don't work. If there's an error on start, it should be shown.

Strange that it happens though, you must have jar files set to be opened by Acrobat Reader... though I'd have thought the game would still open...

Anyway, tell me how you get on,
Thanks,
Brian
rickier65

Post by rickier65 »

I also had this same problem today after updating the game to latest version. I"ll try above.

Rick
rickier65

Post by rickier65 »

Tried the solutions above and it didn't help.

The directory .../Desert War did not have a Start.exe. I copied the Start.exe from Stalingrad to the Dessert War folder, but it gave the msg, can't open DesertWar.jar error msg.

The start.bat file in the Desert War folder flashed something on screen too fast to see (looked like a windows scrn but it was too fast to even tell if it was.

There was no file startGameWithConsole.bat to run

Rick
rickier65

Post by rickier65 »

Ok, finally got it running. I'm going to explain since this may pop up again.

I uniinstalled then reinstalled. When I tried opening, I again got the error msg. But I noticed that the erro msg was overlaying a Adobe Acrobat window. So I suspected that somehow, the file association for .jar files got changed. I went in and changed the file association for .jar files back to java. Not sure how it got changed, and not sure this was necessary, since Stalingrad was still working in any case.

After restarting computer, I tried running again, this time when i went to run play from the main menu, my anti-virus popped up with error/warning that a program was trying to delete a file and the AV blocked that action. I told my AV to allow that program to do that, and restarted again.

This time it ran.

So i'm guessing that the Antivirus is what intially stopped it from running, and I just missed the a popup (it only stays up for a limited time).

Thanks
Rick
Saint Ruth

Post by Saint Ruth »

Ah, that's great it's sorted.
/Brian

Return to “Tech Support”