Desert War: Why did you buy it?

Brian Kellys Desert War: 1940-42 captures the drama of the campaign for North Africa during World War II.
governato

Desert War: Why did you buy it?

Post by governato »

I am looking with interest at "Stalingrad", the next game after DW and curious about what people DID like the most in DW? What was the core reason? If a feature was so awesome you spent money on DW, how would you make that feature even more awesome?

- for me: I hate/love stumbling on enemy tanks when I minding my own (nefarious) business...that happens a lot in DW and in Stalingrad (I am in the beta team)

P.S there is already a long thread on why people did not buy it ;).
Zovs

Re: Desert War: Why did you buy it?

Post by Zovs »

I purchased DW for several reasons:
  • I have always been intrigued by battles in North Africa in WW2
  • This is only my second WEGO game (WITP-AE is the other)
  • I got an annual discount last year or the year before and picked it up a little cheaper
  • I remember some old board war games I had form the early 1970's from a company called SPI and they had this simultaneous move system where both players had to 'plot' there movements and firing for each unit on the map on paper. It was a lot of fun back then and kind of like fog of war and command and control. So I wanted to give this a try.
Beta Tester for: War in the East 1 & 2, WarPlan & WarPlan Pacific, Valor & Victory, Flashpoint Campaigns: Sudden Storm, Computer War In Europe 2
SPWW2 & SPMBT scenario creator
Fraggo5

Re: Desert War: Why did you buy it?

Post by Fraggo5 »

I bought this after watching XTRG's first look at the new Stalingrad wego release by the same publisher as DW.
I have also been interested in the desert campaign for ever and a day in honesty, my father fought there in WW2.
My first computer war-game being Knights of the Desert an SSI game for my Atari 800.
I've only recently got back into pc wargaming having invested more time playing mmo's and fps games I thought it was time for a change of pace and do something more cerebral
It's at a bargain price this weekend too which also swayed me to buy.

Return to “Desert War 1940 - 1942”