Practice Makes Perfect

Post descriptions of your brilliant successes and unfortunate demises.
Flaviusx

Practice Makes Perfect

Post by Flaviusx »

My fourth try as the Axis versus AI, again historical, normal, no cheats. Started this a couple days ago so it is with the current patch.

This time I nailed it. Moscow just fell, Rostov and Leningrad fell last turn. The Red Army is down to about 700k effectives and cannot possibly take any of these back.

25 HQs and 382 divisions in the deadpile. There will be more.

Now I just need to run out the clock.

Of course a human opponent is a much tougher proposition, particularly when that opponent is Micheal T. But mastering the AI is a nice first step.

Attachments
Yay.jpg
Yay.jpg (1.05 MiB) Viewed 691 times
WitE Alpha Tester
Speedysteve

RE: Practice Makes Perfect

Post by Speedysteve »

Well done. I'm on my 3rd try at present[:)]
WitE 2 Tester
WitE Tester
BTR/BoB Tester
willgamer

Post by willgamer »

ORIGINAL: Flaviusx

Now I just need to run out the clock.

Differently, my game ended the very next turn after I took all 3 with decisive victory. I wonder why yours does not?
Rex Lex or Lex Rex?
Flaviusx

Post by Flaviusx »

Lol, it did give me the sudden death when I came back and finished the turn later.

Attachments
victory.jpg
victory.jpg (246.38 KiB) Viewed 690 times
WitE Alpha Tester
Flaviusx

Post by Flaviusx »

That's a relief, really didn't want to grind out the rest of it. Forgot about sudden death. So I saved the game thinking I'd get around to it later.
WitE Alpha Tester
battlevonwar

Post by battlevonwar »

(Most Impressive)

I played 2 human opponents. One is newer the other experienced. Didn't last 7 weeks vs the Human Soviet Player. (every unit was set to neutral posture just about and it was like walking in quicksand)

I have noted all your units are exhausted. Seems you cannot ever put on a rest and wait on your Panzers/Motorized. the minute they stop encircling and run out of fuel you lose the only thing the Germans have the ability to flank and surprise. Run and run ponies...even if they near lose 50% of their strength this game isn't about the long game. It's about the short...

Plus I need to update Versions C:
Flaviusx

Post by Flaviusx »

I actually rested all the panzer groups at least once.

But that's not enough to keep them from pooping out on you if they're very active, as was the case here.
WitE Alpha Tester
VirtuaKim

Post by VirtuaKim »

I sit here in awe.

No idea how you did that. Is there any video or something else to give me a hint? Don't want to spoil my experience but atm if have no idea how to do anything like that.

As the German i usually manage to take Narva, Smolensk and Kiev by mid August and destroy around 100 (?) Russian divisions by encircling them, while losing no German unit. Of course, i do suffer the usual wear & tear, esp. Panzers.

Afterwards, my front line is long and thin and i cannot assemble a sufficiently large assault group for more encirclements, while the Russians get more and more divisions. The area of Leningrad is full of enemies and the way to Moscow almost swamped with Russians. In the south the Russians have a stable, albeit weak, line of divisions. Side question: How to take Odessa if Gercke is not exactly a bosom pal? I have no clue.
wadortch

Post by wadortch »

Hello Falviusx
It is great to see that you are still into this game.
I have played all of about 10 turns against the Soviet AI and wonder what kinds of stacks it made in your game here?
Walt
Walt
demyansk

Post by demyansk »

I am about to chuck this game into the dustbin, I can't get anywhere as the German. Now, I am playing a game against the germans and getting crushed, opponent has Leningrad, surrounded Moscow and driving into the Caucasus and the units look to be full strength on the German side. How the heck does this happen?
VirtuaKim

Post by VirtuaKim »

Don't despair, bro!

I can see your frustration, but isn't it great to have such a competent AI playing? At core that's a challenge.

Head over to the Steam forums (Op Barbarossa, thread "logistical nightmare"). We're having a lively discussion there, you may want to read and participate in. There you'll find screenshots, tactic ideas aso., all down to earth.

Keep trying!
demyansk

Post by demyansk »

I was playing a human and lost on turn 29 as the soviets
jjdenver

Post by jjdenver »

Will the AI present any challenge playing as Germany? As SU? When I played this PBEM at launch it heavily favored Axis I think - how is it now?

Thanks - just trying to keep in touch with status so I can decide if it's worth playing.
AARS:
CEAW-BJR Mod 2009:
tm.asp?m=2101447
AT-WW1:
tm.asp?m=1705427
AT-GPW:
tm.asp?m=1649732
HvMoltke

Post by HvMoltke »

Hi Faviusx
You succeeded winning as German DC Barbarossa, I try to do the same. Up to now I didn`t win or anything near.
I have a question concerning the role of the Russian HQ`s.
If I kill a Russian HQ does that hinder the subordinate divisions to activate.
In WitE it is much easier to close Armies in and subsequently destroying them. That is not the best way in DCB. But chasing HQs seems the better way.
You have more experience with this game and maybe you have the same impression.

Return to “After Action Report”