Supply consumption examples in manual seemingly make no sense

VR designs has been reinforced with designer Cameron Harris and the result is a revolutionary new operational war game 'Barbarossa' that plays like none other. It blends an advanced counter pushing engine with deep narrative, people management and in-depth semi-randomized decision systems.

Moderators: Vic, lancer

OpT1mUs

Supply consumption examples in manual seemingly make no sense

Post by OpT1mUs »

I'm currently going through the manual in preparation for my first game. For whatever reason I really enjoy reading manuals for wargames, possibly even more than actually playing them. I just like to understand exactly how all systems intercontect and have as much of a full understanding as possible while playing the game.

Now, regarding Supply part of the manual.

It says the following:
The amount of supply needed by a unit depends on their readiness. Units with low readiness need more supply.
Half of a basic level of supply is needed to maintain unit’s readiness. Up to 150% more is needed to actual regain a unit’s readiness. This reflects the cost in supplyof a higher operational tempo.
My understanding here is basically that unit can use up to: 50% of basic supply level for the unit (for maintaing readyness level) + the other 50%*250% (basically 150% more as per rule above).

So if a unit somehow has 200 basic supply level, maximum it could use per turn is: 100 + 100*250% = 350 supply.
Which corresponds exactly to the example given in the manual:
(although this could be wrong and it could be full basic supply level *250%, which would in this case be 500, which makes example bellow make even less sense)
Example 2
Unit Y has a basic supply of 200 points and canstore 400 points. If has 350 points in storage and
its readiness is 90. It will therefore request its full basic supply ration of 200 points. It then uses all of
its newly arrived 200 points of supply to recover(half of basic supply is needed to maintain readiness and the other half to actually recove a reasonable amount.
If its readiness was 47, forexample, it would need the maximum 350 points of
supply and would use all 200 newly arrived points and drain the rest (150) from its own supply stock.
If we take an actual realistic example of German Infantry Division which has Basic Supply level of 68,
maximum it could user per turn would be : 34 + 34*250%= 34 + 85 = 119.
(or if it's actually full basic supply level *250%, it would be 68*250% = 170)

Now comes the part which I'm baffled with and it's regarding to the examples, like the one quoted above.

I understand that example takes basic supply of 200 for simpilicity sake, since it's a nice round number and that, as far as I know, there is no unit in game with basic supply that large (per manual largest one would be German Panzer Division with 89.

But what I don't understand is why is that imaginary unit, in the example above, requesting 200 supply (it's basic supply level) and not more? Especially in the sub-example with 47 readiness? Wouldn't it request full 350 instead of using its own stock? My understanding is that units only request their basic supply level if they're pretty much on 100 readiness, then use half to maintain and other half goes to stock.

Even the manual mentiones mulitple times that units with lower readiness request more supply, why are both examples given then for units with 200 basic supply level and in both examples they request exactly 200, no matter the different readiness levels?

I hope anyone understands my wall of text of mad ramblings and apologies in advance :)

Alternatively, if anyone can just ignore everything I wrote above and just clearly explain how supply and supply consumption works, that would be even better.

edit:

Found this old thread : https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... n#p3830492

It's related to this same issue more or less, but it doesn't make it any less confusing.
Last edited by OpT1mUs on Tue May 31, 2022 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OpT1mUs

Re: Supply consumption examples in manual seemingly make no sense

Post by OpT1mUs »

Two additional questions:

Q1:
Why is unit (marked with purple circle) not requesting any supplies? There's bunch of other units nearby also not requesting any supply?

Q2:

How does this unit (also marked with purple) have supply stock of 211, when the maximum supply stock for PG Infantry is 204 (per manual)?

Flash Jack

Post by Flash Jack »

Hi,

I'd suggest firing up the game and playing around some. Learning purely from the manual is a tricky business.

The amount of supply requested is compared to the amount available which you can see by clicking the button to display the supply overlay.
OpT1mUs

Post by OpT1mUs »

Thanks for the reply, but this doesn't answer any of my questions.
juntoalmar

Post by juntoalmar »

OpT1mUs wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 8:29 pm Two additional questions:

Q1:
Why is unit (marked with purple circle) not requesting any supplies? There's bunch of other units nearby also not requesting any supply?
(page 96) 4.14.3 How much supply does a unit need?
The amount of supply needed by a unit depends on their readiness

The unit has 100 readiness, perhaps doesn't need any supply until the readiness decreases?
(my humble blog about wargames, in spanish) http://cabezadepuente.blogspot.com.es/
OpT1mUs

Post by OpT1mUs »

Hi, no , they do need supply all the time. to maintain readiness, this is just hardcoded "exception" basically, for Panzergruppen only. Which is not mentioned anywhere in manual.

But I got answer from Vic via email , who got it from Cameron:
Got word back from Cameron.

The zero supply request for the PGs is due to:

"It's by design. There's a thematic reason for it and if you changed it
back to normal supply then the whole fuel supply system for the PG's
will spring leaks."

And it seems that there are some special, as far as i can see,
undocumented rules, scripted by Cameron, for the Panzergruppes. (similar
to the first issue i responded too). Basically the panzergruppen
divisions get more supply out of thin air as long as their logistics are
still impeccable. This behaviour will dissapear once you advance further
into Russia and logistics start to get strained.

If you look at the divisions of the non-Panzergruppen, all seems to be
working as documented.

Return to “Decisive Campaigns: Barbarossa”