Supply and AP problems + turn order

Share your best strategies and tactics with other players by posting them here.

Moderator: Vic

vakarr

Supply and AP problems + turn order

Post by vakarr »

I played through the Bxura and Sealion scenarios OK (was able to use HQs as fast-moving flanking units) but now I'm doing the Polish campaign and I keep running out of supplies and action points. If a unit has no AP at the start, is that because it has been attacked?
To keep supplies flowing do you have to keep each HQ within 100 hexes of its higher HQ? Bit hard to do that with the distances involved in Poland. I did move some Corps to different Armies to bring them closer to the HQ but you can't do that much because the generals mostly don't have staff points for extra units.
Interesting to see the size of 14th Army - so much bigger than the others - and presumably this was because von Reichenau was popular with Hitler.
Can you run out of action points and supplies within a turn, so the order that you do things is very important? Seems that units with 100% supply and/or action points may have less than that if they move after other units.
Great game, but it takes ages to do just one turn in full campaign mode. Often you can't do group moves because you need to use the artillery and artillery that has done a full move can't fire.
There's a lot of things to keep track of in a game. Here's a suggested turn order:
1. Launch all Recon flights
2. Check all generals for cards (use the OOB chart). Yes you have to write it down but a card such as Haste is best given at the beginning of a turn to get its full value. Most cards should be allocated when movement is completed and combat not started.
3. Fix bridges - do this as early as possible in a turn, it has major consequences
4A. Allocate artillery cards (if any) and check for possible artillery bombardments - If using NATO symbols it's all too easy to move an artillery unit that should have stayed put
4B Move remaining Artillery units
4C Do remaining Artillery bombardments - once they've fired, they can't move, so you won't get them mixed up.
3. Allocate Haste cards (if any) and Move troops
4. Allocate remaining cards
5. Do air attacks
6. Do ground attacks and follow-up moves
7. Strategic transfers
7. Check HQs are correct distance from their commands and located on roads/railways

Note for Polish campaign: taking Gdynia/Danzig has major benefits - I wasn't allowed to use rail movement until I took that town , and I think supplies flowed better, too.

General Notes
- Watch the entrenchment values - if they are 100 or above they are in fortifications and the numbers given don't reflect the defenders' strength
- Action points consumed by movement are shown if you click on a unit, then the move button, then move your mouse around - often I forget this as the movement cost is shown at the bottom of the screen, not where you move you mouse pointer
- Cards apply to all units in a division, not just the regiment you click on. Readiness and Morale can't be increased above 100 but other factors such as action points can go above 100. Whether your general is in range may affect the actual benfit received.

Return to “The War Room”