playing Case Yellow

Share your best strategies and tactics with other players by posting them here.

Moderator: Vic

CYORESS1

playing Case Yellow

Post by CYORESS1 »

I really enjoy playing this game.

I have played only against the AI and have never won as the german. I have only gotten to 43 victory points and about 7% german losses. I seem to stall at that point. I have played the game 5 times. I seem to be getting better at understanding the system. The first time I only got 33 points. The last 2 times I got to 43 victory points. But I can not seem to get any closer.

I have a couple of questions, do the Poles quit if their morale gets to low? If so, how low does it need to get? Has anyone ever captured Warsaw?

Also any suggestions about planning would be accepted.

Thanks,

[&o]
Barthheart

RE: playing Case Yellow

Post by Barthheart »

The Poles never quit based on morale.

To capture Warsaw you need to drive straight at it. Don't get side tracked by killing everything. Take the VP's on the way to Warsaw but just leave the pockets of Poles not on VP's.

Use your panzers to rush ahead and form pockets so the Poles can't move troops back towards Warsaw for defence. Move as fast as possible. Don't worry too much about being cut off, if the Poles are trying that they won't get back to Warsaw in time.

Use infantry units to guard pockets and assault cities with VP's. Tanks aren't much good in cities.

Against the AI it is possible to take Warsaw if you focus. Against a PBEM human it's much much harder to do....
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body,
but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
dblose

Post by dblose »

ORIGINAL: Barthheart

The Poles never quit based on morale.

To capture Warsaw you need to drive straight at it. Don't get side tracked by killing everything. Take the VP's on the way to Warsaw but just leave the pockets of Poles not on VP's.

Use your panzers to rush ahead and form pockets so the Poles can't move troops back towards Warsaw for defence. Move as fast as possible. Don't worry too much about being cut off, if the Poles are trying that they won't get back to Warsaw in time.

Use infantry units to guard pockets and assault cities with VP's. Tanks aren't much good in cities.

Against the AI it is possible to take Warsaw if you focus. Against a PBEM human it's much much harder to do....

To execute this I had to remind myself every turn that my objective was to gain space with speed. I had to resist the temptation to use mobile units to help kill units. This creates dilemmas for for the Poles and hinders the establishment of a coherent defense.
dlb
Keunert

Post by Keunert »

i've got one advice too: only use the luftwaffe to soften up what lies ahead of your panzers. or maybe to kill some hq personell or engineer. but don't go for random killing. you need your luftwaffen assets to help your panzer's advance.

one question: how long does it take for a cut off unit to lose all mobility? let's say i isolate some units on turn one, will they be immobilized in my turn three?

Return to “The War Room”