Strategy Guide?

Share your best strategies and tactics with other players by posting them here.

Moderator: Vic

blackknight1916

Strategy Guide?

Post by blackknight1916 »

Hey all-

I have played a few times and am getting the hang of the game, but the "black box" effect seems pretty heavy to me. Does anyone have the time/inclination to write a short guide on how to play this game effectively? Trial and error is nice but I have 2 kids and a full time job and could use a few shortcuts.

To give some perspective on what I am looking for:

I am trying to play the Allies in Case Yellow, with Dyle Plan off. I've twice gotten the Germans to late June but they win in the end. It seems there is just a flood tide of them no matter where I position my troops.

Tips on deployment, effective attacks/counterattacks, defensive strategies, etc. all appreciated.

Thanks,

Brian

fleetwood

RE: Strategy Guide?

Post by fleetwood »

I'll stick my neck out based upon my 20 something hours of very enjoyable, if not always successful play as Germans in case White and Yellow (have not tried allied side yet).

This is not a direct response, but you may consider how I approach the Germans: Avoid combat; bypass enemy and isolate. After several turns of no supply, attack enemy units blocking major supply lines (esp. rail). Always use air or artillery prior to attacking units to keep your losses low. Avoid using mechanized units for this; they should spearhead your forces and only attack after artillery/air has weakened enemy in the way of a breakout. As you make a path into enemy territory, make sure engineers are close by to repair bridges. Try to keep unit formation integrity (this can be hard, especially as you block units you have passed to keep them from interdicting your supply lines). Don't get too bogged down with trapped pockets of enemy units...keep moving forward! Slower units at the rear can clean up enemy pockets.

I would say interdict supply might be a good way to slow them down, and have some units a hex or 2 behind your front line to slow down breakthroughs.
sabo10

RE: Strategy Guide?

Post by sabo10 »

I would like to add I.m a little disappointed with the manual, there is A LOT of info that was left out, and there is too much info on stuff that is pretty self explainitory (Like movement, and cards) it took me a few games to realize the color bar along the side of the unit is it's integrity (strength) it doesn't mention that in the manual. 

Another thing that confuses me is how do I know how much supply an enemy unit has left, I mean if I got over 600 recon points on a hex I should know everything about that unit.  The manual skimps on info about what a counter is made up of, and talks too much about Generals and the scenario history's, stuff I can get on Wikipedia.  I hope I'm not charged again in the future for a strategy guide that has info that should have been included in the manual. 
I'm not an AT veteran so these types of games I am a very new and confused rookie.
I think I will finally stop procrastinating......... tomorrow

Return to “The War Room”