Wish List

This exciting new release is a faithful adaptation of the renowned Conflict of Heroes board game that won the Origins Historical Game of the Year, Charles Roberts Wargame of the Year and the James F. Dunnigan Design Elegance Award, as well as many others!

Designed and developed in cooperation with Uwe Eickert, the original designer of Conflict of Heroes, and Western Civlization Software, the award-winning computer wargame studio, no effort has been spared to bring the outstanding Conflict of Heroes gameplay to the computer. Conflict of Heroes includes an AI opponent as well as full multiplayer support with an integrated forum and game lobby. To remain true to the core gameplay of the board game, the PC version is designed to be fun, fast and easy to play, though hard to master. The game design is also historically accurate and teaches and rewards platoon and company-level combined arms tactics without overwhelming the player with rules.

Moderator: MOD_WestCiv

Ichili

RE: Wish List

Post by Ichili »

Thanks for the information. It sounds great.
fentum

Post by fentum »

How about a function which shows 'AP left' or 'AP useage' to reach hexes further than the adjacent hex? Some sort of AP potential movement 'trail'?

I say this as I find it difficult to determine hill elevation changes whilst using board game maps and have been caught short on AP when I faced an unexpected slope. On General Petrov, for example, I need to switch to the angled view to spot hills.

If I could plan AP useage over longer moves, it would help.

Another option whch might help is to have clearer differentiation of elevation on the maps. The Zun Tsu module does this very well by using shades of brown. Perhaps a little less realistic, but much more functional.
JR5555

Post by JR5555 »

Hi,

I appreciate all the work that has been done and put into the game, there is one area I think that could use some improvement.

I think improving the immersion would help the game sell. Like such things as instead of having a star wars lazer beam as a shot how about instead making a line of bullets or for a tank a shell and slow them down some so that it increases the anticipation of the hit.
ericbabe

Post by ericbabe »

For whatever it's worth, the firing effect is supposed to simulate tracer fire, not laser beams. The unit artist, Patrick, actually researched the proper colors of German and Russian tracers for this period (I think I may have only implemented one of the colors though.)
fentum

Post by fentum »

The 1.15 beta is lovely in terms of gameplay but the online chat is not great.

How about utilising the vast empty grey space bottom right, below terrain descriptions, for a persistent chat box? Text coloured by nation. Observers can be a third colour.
IronFist00

Group Actions Enabled by Cards

Post by IronFist00 »

I know the PC game was developed over multiple iterations of the board game rules so consider this a wish list. With the release of the recent beta patch that allows group rallying (I love it), I suggest/wish for other cards being allowed to be used with group actions as in the board game.

I attached a screen capture in case no one wants to look it up but on page 17 of the AtB SE rules, it shows which cards may be played on a group action (it's the little purple group symbol in the lower right of the card). Some are already allowed in the PC game but some, like Hasty Defense (Seek Cover in the new rules) aren't.

While I'm on this, there are a few new cards that have been added, such as Repid Deployment, Careful Aiming, and Luck that really enhance the game (imo). Any chance we could get some of them added? And two of them (not Luck) just happen to be allowed with Group Actions. [;)]

Attachments
GroupActi..edCards.jpg
GroupActi..edCards.jpg (289.78 KiB) Viewed 700 times
fentum

RE: Group Actions Enabled by Cards

Post by fentum »

+1 for the last post ref cards
tsnouffer

Post by tsnouffer »

Also card related, I'd like to see scanned versions of the actual table top game cards just like we can use the table top counters and maps. This would be for when cards re played and they pop up.

Games from the Front
e_barkmann

Post by e_barkmann »

Speaking of cards, the ability to see how many cards your opponent has would be good.
Scourge of War multiplayer group

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/sowwaterloo
fentum

Post by fentum »

How about toning down the graphics effect of artillery strikes? It is difficult to see underlying terrain after a strike.
lpgamble

Post by lpgamble »

MORE units
chrispman

Post by chrispman »

How about putting the this wish list and the bug reports in a Bugzilla or Mantis or something similar?
Ratzki

Post by Ratzki »

An easier to use scenario builder/map maker. I mean the one at present is not bad and I like the importing of images using a paint program but could not something be done so that you do not have to use a paint program. ANd the placing of walls and roads is a little finniky. Again, not bad just that it could use improvement. I have not even tried a project like the Stalingrad map, but it seemed like there was some extra tinkering that had to be done to make it work as well. The easier that scenario/map making is made for us the more that will be done.
sandman2575

CoH for ipad!!!

Post by sandman2575 »

I know others have posted to this effect, but --

*** PLEASE port CoH to ipad!! ***

Much easier said than done, I know. But I am utterly convinced CoH would be a smash hit on ipad.

I can count on one hand the number of truly top-notch wargame strategy titles currently available on ios. Battle Academy is imo the best, with Shenandoah's Battle of the Bulge also a superb title. Combat Mission Touch is good. Then there are plenty of what I'd consider to be "B grade" titles (the new "Strategy & Tactics WW2" is a perfect example - nice, but nothing special). But the list of really great wargames for ipad is disappointingly short.

Conflict of Heroes would instantly join Battle Academy as one of the few top-shelf wargames available for ipad. I already own CoH for PC, but I would buy a $20 d/l of CoH for ipad without hesitation (i.e. a version similarly priced to ios Battle Academy). I have to believe there are many out there who would do the same.

Again, I know it's easy enough to say "make a version for ipad!" But if the dev's are interested in expanding the audience for CoH, as I'm sure they must be, I really believe there is a goldmine waiting for them among strategy-starved ipad users --

e_barkmann

RE: CoH for ipad!!!

Post by e_barkmann »

Scourge of War multiplayer group

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/sowwaterloo
wodin

Post by wodin »

Played the demo..my main issue with regards to graphics is you can't see the counters art unless directly overhead and zoomed in. I'd like to see some work put into that to make the counters look great and readable from distance. The fan made game above has much better quality counters..which is a shame.
sandman2575

Post by sandman2575 »

I was aware of that indy project and it does sound intriguing -- although it also sounds like it is unlikely to ever see the light of day. Has there been any further progress? That blog post is from 2011.

What I'd love to hear is some word from Western Civ / Matrix that an ipad version of CoH is a realistic possibility, and in the relatively near term, i.e. maybe sometime in 2014 - ? I'm aware that that is probably wishful thinking however --
marcpennington

Post by marcpennington »

ORIGINAL: tsnouffer

In the game log at the bottom of the screen some sort of treatment that breaks up the actions between units. Meaning make it easier to tell what just happened by highlighting all of the relevant text from the latest action. Alternatively, alternate shading for each subsequent action.

As it is now, it runs together too much for me.

Thanks!

I'd agree on that suggestion too. I would add, as the automatic movement of the camera to track opponent's moves is a bit too jumpy to me, I prefer to disable it and figure out the opponents moves by reading the text. Therefore, it would be really helpful if any units mentioned in the logs were links--- i.e. if one clicks on the unit name in the log, the map would move to the units mentioned (or the last location if the unit was destroyed.) What would be perfect (for me at least), is if the view would center on the relevant unit/hex without changing any other zoom/angle camera settings. This feature would be very helpful in the (fairly rare) cases when it's not immediate obvious what just happened, usually in instances where the battlefield is divided into two fairly far apart groups, such as in the Mzensk pocket.
tsnouffer

Post by tsnouffer »

Tabletop style LOS.

Games from the Front
Deepstuff3725

Post by Deepstuff3725 »

A few wish list items for me would be:

When assigning CAPs, have a way to remove them in case you make a mistake. Don't think there is a way to do this right now.

Would really like to see some winter maps!!!

How about some maps with an urban setting for street fighting, with buildings and homes that are damaged?

Know it probably just takes time, but I'd like to see more theaters of war added to Conflict of Heroes.
North Africa.... Rommel vs Patton
Pacific US Marines vs Japanese
Western Front Normandy, Market Garden, Battle of the Bulge, etc

Game has lot's of potential. More variety of maps, scenarios, and theaters of war would make it a real winner in my opinion.

Also, how about opening up the game to allow the community to more easily edit things like units and maps. Saw in the forum that we cannot edit the units. If we could, this could generate more interest in COH, and a bigger following.

Return to “Conflict of Heroes Series”