Why did I buy COH? Let me tell you why...

This exciting new release is a faithful adaptation of the renowned Conflict of Heroes board game that won the Origins Historical Game of the Year, Charles Roberts Wargame of the Year and the James F. Dunnigan Design Elegance Award, as well as many others!

Designed and developed in cooperation with Uwe Eickert, the original designer of Conflict of Heroes, and Western Civlization Software, the award-winning computer wargame studio, no effort has been spared to bring the outstanding Conflict of Heroes gameplay to the computer. Conflict of Heroes includes an AI opponent as well as full multiplayer support with an integrated forum and game lobby. To remain true to the core gameplay of the board game, the PC version is designed to be fun, fast and easy to play, though hard to master. The game design is also historically accurate and teaches and rewards platoon and company-level combined arms tactics without overwhelming the player with rules.

Moderator: MOD_WestCiv

Gil R.

Why did I buy COH? Let me tell you why...

Post by Gil R. »

It's always interesting to post poll threads that help us figure out who our customers are. So, both those of us who developed COH and some of you on the forum may find the results of this poll thread interesting.

Please choose the statement that best described why you have purchased computer-COH. (Note use of past tense, not future tense or subjunctive mood.)
Michael Jordan plays ball. Charles Manson kills people. I torment eager potential customers by not sharing screenshots of "Brother Against Brother." Everyone has a talent.
parusski

RE: Why did I buy COH? Let me tell you why...

Post by parusski »

Gil r., I just sent payment to Prince Asesimba. Can you tell me when I will get my game?
"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman
Blind Sniper

Post by Blind Sniper »

Second one for me, to have a good reputation always pays [8D]
WitP-AE - WitE - CWII - BASPM - BaB

[center]Image[/center]
tgb

Post by tgb »

How about based on WCS's previous titles?
danlongman

Post by danlongman »

Yeah...What tgb said. You are too modest. A couple of the choices could apply but WCS/Matrix were the clincher for this electronic platoon leader.
thank you and cheers
(Those Nigerian Princesses do NOT look like their pictures.)
"Patriotism: Your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it." - George Bernard Shaw
Gil R.

Post by Gil R. »

ORIGINAL: tgb

How about based on WCS's previous titles?

Dang! Did I of all people forget to subtly include that? Thanks for the correction.
Michael Jordan plays ball. Charles Manson kills people. I torment eager potential customers by not sharing screenshots of "Brother Against Brother." Everyone has a talent.
tgb

Post by tgb »

Frankly, Gil, based on the feedback I would have gotten it anyway, but I really did buy it sight unseen (never played the board game) based on CoG and FoF.
michaelincol

Post by michaelincol »

me, too.
JFalk68

Post by JFalk68 »

I voted for choice 2 "I've heard good things about the boardgame, but prefer computer games"

I would play board games more, but with a loaded work schedule and a group of wargamer friends that can be equally busy it's hard to get everyone together for a game. Boardgames ported to PC can scratch that itch if well done, you get the computer doing all the computations and rule enforcement plus you can do an online game in the lobby when its convienent to you
Pawsy

Post by Pawsy »

looking for shortish tactical games that you can play on line. I have enjoyed the game. Never played the board game but eastern front will always get my attention :-)

Want persistant campaigns, on line play, short tactical games. Steel Panthers was as close as I ve got
Shadow Empire beta tester
valor and victory beta tester
DW2 DLC beta tester
76mm

Post by 76mm »

I've actually never heard of the boardgame and am not sure I'll care much for the computer version, but the reviews seem good, and most important, I buy almost every Russian Front game to encourage devs to publish them, so I bought this one over the weekend.

As mentioned in a different thread, this looks like a game that I'd be more likely to play on my iPad.

Also, next time you might want to add another choice to your poll: "I sm particularly interested in this theater of operations, etc." I did not buy this because it is WWII (Normandy, ho-hum) or because it is squad-level (modern combat, ho-hum).
junk2drive

Post by junk2drive »

I voted for number 4, squad battles, but really I bought it for several reasons. Number one is the 3D. I see a lot of posts from board gamers decrying the 3D aspect but that doesn't mean that everyone is a 2D gamer. I would not have bought this if it was just flat maps and counters.
Conflict of Heroes "Most games are like checkers or chess and some have dice and cards involved too. This game plays like checkers but you think like chess and the dice and cards can change everything in real time."
AlvinS

Post by AlvinS »

I have heard great things about the board game and wanted to give this a try. I may still buy the board game as I collect them.
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." ---Mark Twain

Naval Warfare Simulations

AlvinS
Skanvak

Post by Skanvak »

Because LnL : Heroes of Stalingrad is not out...

Best regards

Skanvak
FightingJuarez

Post by FightingJuarez »

Strange - guess I'm the first to post for reason #1. Bought the board game when it first came out in 2008 and also own SoS. Great game system, great design, but as JFalk68 posted, arranging f-t-f and finding the time is a real challenge. I am enjoying this computer version immensely as the scenarios are quick to play and I am learning many tactics which are honing my f-t-f skills due to frequency of play. This is a great port of a classic BG title. You guys really did a great job with this!
berto

Post by berto »

How about the poll choice

[*]None of the Above

[8|]

I suppose the choice

[*]If I hear a computer game -- of any sort -- is good I'll buy it.

comes closest, but not really. I hear about many "good" computer games, but I don't buy them "of any sort". I'm quite picky, in fact, and COH is my first war game purchase in the past year (the last one before COH being the entire Scourge of War series).

I purchased COH (and the GD expansion, both in the Matrix Holiday Sale) due mainly to the following:
ORIGINAL: junk2drive

COH you move like checkers, think like chess, roll dice and play a card. Nothing like Steel Panthers.
This had me intrigued. Despite my near utter lack of interest in East Front games, COH's game play sounded innovative (in a retro sort of way) ... so, on a hunch and a whim, I bought it.

Having now played through through the tutorials and the first Firefight scenario, I must say: so far, so good. COH is, for me, a refreshing "new" take on computer war games. So far, to my surprise, I am enjoying myself immensely. Good job, folks! [&o]
Campaign Series Legion https://cslegion.com/
Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... hp?f=10167
Panzer Campaigns, Panzer Battles Lead Coder https://wargameds.com
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

i might need to get all these now as i like there games and think why not, war, games, and a great developer, why not[:D][;)]
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

It really is a one sided poll. You really didn't have any valid negative reasons only the one about the Prince of lala land. I found it boring and didn't like the Igo1unityougo1unit. Lose my train of thought playing like that.

But, the main reason I bought it was to support maybe you will make a great ancients game someday in the times of greek or roman history. I'm sort of sic of WWII remakes and copycats of the same theaters and same battles. Hopefully if you do make an ancients game it won't be igo1unityougo1unit.

Return to “Conflict of Heroes Series”