CoH scenarios, counters and map mod

This exciting new release is a faithful adaptation of the renowned Conflict of Heroes board game that won the Origins Historical Game of the Year, Charles Roberts Wargame of the Year and the James F. Dunnigan Design Elegance Award, as well as many others!

Designed and developed in cooperation with Uwe Eickert, the original designer of Conflict of Heroes, and Western Civlization Software, the award-winning computer wargame studio, no effort has been spared to bring the outstanding Conflict of Heroes gameplay to the computer. Conflict of Heroes includes an AI opponent as well as full multiplayer support with an integrated forum and game lobby. To remain true to the core gameplay of the board game, the PC version is designed to be fun, fast and easy to play, though hard to master. The game design is also historically accurate and teaches and rewards platoon and company-level combined arms tactics without overwhelming the player with rules.

Moderator: MOD_WestCiv

maitrebongo

RE: CoH scenarios, counters and map mod

Post by maitrebongo »

Hello to all those who still play this game...

jcrohio, congratulations for your undeniable improvement of this little gem of a tactical computer wargame.
This game has a great potential, I said it in the past and I still think it today even with the appearance of serious competitors like Lock'n'Load Tactical Digital.
CoH has its simplicity of play (even if it doesn't harm the pleasant gameplay) and is the most perfect adaptation of a board game that I know of.
Again, what a shame that it was abandoned by its designers/publishers. This game system could be adapted to other theaters as well as other times, other wars (WW1, WW3, ...).
Now, if a community of enthusiasts, even a small one, wants to give it a second chance by developing free DLCs, I would be enthusiastic to participate. I can easily create all the chits you can imagine, a bit more difficult for the maps... I would need people to work on the data part of the units (I hate the XML format) and on the composition of the scenarios.
Let me know if some of you are interested in such a project.
Remember that this is how Steel Panthers got the best out of itself.
"Impossible is not French" Napoleon Bonaparte
jcrohio

Post by jcrohio »

rodzilla

I am going to assume that the fact that you don't own SOS is the problem but don't know for sure. Therefore, I am NOT going to tell you that buying it would solve the problem (though it is probably cheap with the Christmas sale). Those two units are included in the SOS folders and in fact are part of the original SOS release. The addition of SOS allowed the game to mix units from both modules together in one scenario. So, if a unit was included in SOS but not in AWB I could still mix it into an AWB scenario.

Hope this helps

maitrebongo - Thanks!!
Jack
rodzilla

Post by rodzilla »

ORIGINAL: jcrohio

rodzilla

I am going to assume that the fact that you don't own SOS is the problem but don't know for sure. Therefore, I am NOT going to tell you that buying it would solve the problem (though it is probably cheap with the Christmas sale). Those two units are included in the SOS folders and in fact are part of the original SOS release. The addition of SOS allowed the game to mix units from both modules together in one scenario. So, if a unit was included in SOS but not in AWB I could still mix it into an AWB scenario.

Hope this helps

maitrebongo - Thanks!!

Yes, I just purchased Storms of Steel and that fixed my problems. Thanks!
jcrohio

Post by jcrohio »

Good to hear!!
Jack
maitrebongo

Post by maitrebongo »

I specify my thought: Do you think it's worth it to make mods for example for the western front, the Pacific, for a hypothetical third world war?
Are there still enough of us playing this game to make it worthwhile?
"Impossible is not French" Napoleon Bonaparte
jcrohio

Post by jcrohio »

Not sure of the amount of interest. I can't tell if many people have downloaded what I did. There is virtually no activity on this forum. It is ashame as the simplicity of this system makes it very unique. Copies of the AWB and SOS rule books and firefights can be downloaded for free. Following these lets you read minimal pages of rules and proceed to very simple scenarios. I am a play tester for LnL Tactical and love the system but 140 pages of rules and pages of charts makes it much more challenging to get into.

You might start with small and see if there is any interest. Academy Games has a Pacific module and a Poland module. Maybe trying one or two of these scenarios could test the waters and see if anyone is interested. Or maybe trying a western front scenario?

Jack
Jack
rodzilla

Re: CoH scenarios, counters and map mod

Post by rodzilla »

Hey Jack, this works as described if I go to "additional firefights" and select a map to play as a single player game. What about online multiplayer? Is it possible to replace the default maps so that I can choose the higher res version in multiplayer? And would both of us have to have the modified graphics for it to work?
jcrohio

Post by jcrohio »

Sorry cannot be of any help. Never played multiplayer so not sure how it works.
Jack
Jack
seanny

Post by seanny »

Do I put the Scenario files just into Folder Scenarios?

Reason I ask is I have Steam Version with both expansions AND there is 3 sub folders inside Scenario Folder called AwakeningTheBear and GhostDivisions and StormofSteel ,other sub folders as well. It seems these particular sub folders have very similar files in them.

In these sub folders Scenarios have like "1. Partisans.scenario"
whereas in your download they are called "ATB1. Partisans.scenario"

Are these scenarios Alternate versions of the vanilla scenarios and should they come up i game under "additional firefights" or under the tab for the expansion ,not too versed in the game yet ,for example "Storm of Steel Scenarios"?
rodzilla

Post by rodzilla »

seanny wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 6:23 am Do I put the Scenario files just into Folder Scenarios?

Reason I ask is I have Steam Version with both expansions AND there is 3 sub folders inside Scenario Folder called AwakeningTheBear and GhostDivisions and StormofSteel ,other sub folders as well. It seems these particular sub folders have very similar files in them.

In these sub folders Scenarios have like "1. Partisans.scenario"
whereas in your download they are called "ATB1. Partisans.scenario"

Are these scenarios Alternate versions of the vanilla scenarios and should they come up i game under "additional firefights" or under the tab for the expansion ,not too versed in the game yet ,for example "Storm of Steel Scenarios"?
Per the instructions: "Copy Scenarios to Documents\Western Civilization Software\Conflict of Heroes - Awakening the Bear\Data\Scenarios (in the Documents Folder)" I.e. not the Steam folder. This is a different folder. You will access these in-game through additional firefights.
seanny

Post by seanny »

Thanks for your answer.
I will check it out when I can.

Got a bit side tracked ,have been making a mod for Hex of Steel that I am spending a lot of time on. Ansd have become a bit obsesses with it. I am thinking of making a something for CoH as well but want to finish up my existing work first.
LAKingsGeek

Post by LAKingsGeek »

Downloading this now. Looking forward to trying it but would also like to know if someone could provide the high res scans of all of the maps in their unaltered form (how they come in the physical baord game version, not cut up into multiple png files with the wood table background). I'm working on a Vassal module for CoH with Eastern Front solo expansion and the Firefight generator and would love to use high res scans of the maps from the 2nd or 3rd editions. I've already got AtB maps but would like to get a hold of SoS maps and The Marsh expansion map if possible.

Return to “Conflict of Heroes Series”