Combat Mission Shock Force 2 - Beta Tournament

Shock Force 2 brings you to a hypothetical conflict in Syria between the forces of NATO and the Syrian Army. Play either on WeGo or Real Time in an incredibly detailed and realistic 1:1 tactical simulation.
tebaf3

Combat Mission Shock Force 2 - Beta Tournament

Post by tebaf3 »

Beta Tournament

Join the first tournament for Combat Mission Shock Force 2. Due to this being the first one, we are classifying this as ‘Beta Tournament’, so please bear with us if there are any issues and contact support@slitherine.co.uk

Join the tournament here.

This Tournament will feature 3 rounds with 3 different scenarios:
  • Round 1: Matrix Tournament #1: A 25 minute battle of a US patrol against a Syrian ambush.
  • Round 2: Ambush in al Fubar: A 50 minute battle. Stryker platoon is stopped by an ambush. Rescue is on its way, but will it be too late?.
  • Round 3: Wadi Scouts: A 45 minute battle. Stryker cavalry unit is tasked with scouting out defenses along a Wadi.
Before joining the tournament, please take a moment and carefully read these instructions that are specific to all Combat Mission Tournaments:
  • Because of the way that Combat Mission’s original “play by email” system works, both game files have an in-game field for password protection of the file. This field should be left blank. For the US side the password has been selected before the battles were sent and that field is to be left blank. You can use a password for the Russian side but it isn’t needed because the Tournament feature handles protection from cheating without using the in game system.
  • The Tournament will have you playing 2 individual battles where you are playing both sides of the same battle. If you get into the game before your opponent, you will see 1 game turn to play. If your opponent has gotten there first then you will see 2 turn files and each turn thereafter should have 2 files.
  • Once a tournament begins you will receive the files in the "Saved Game and PBEM" drop menu under Automated PBEM++ In Progress. You will receive email notifications when your opponent has sent you turns.
  • You will need a Matrix user name and password to play any tournament (or PBEM++ battle). If you don't have one already you can get one here.
Jagger2002

Re: Combat Mission Shock Force 2 - Beta Tournament

Post by Jagger2002 »

I won't be able to play in this one but maybe a future one. I am wondering what are the time limits for each round?
grab

Post by grab »

I was one of the early sign up for this tournament, but have just looked at the list of players to find for some reason I have been removed. I don't think I upset anyone.
System, Intel i7-6700K @ 4.00GHz, Windows 10 Professional, 32 GB of RAM, NVidia GeForce GTX 980 Ti
StoneAge

Post by StoneAge »

Do you need any of the Shock Force 2 Modules to enter the Tournament.

Would be good to have listed at point of entry
kensg70@gmail.com

Post by kensg70@gmail.com »

Curious. Round 1: Matrix Tournament #1: A 25 minute battle of a US patrol against a Syrian ambush. This scenario will be

downloadable once the tournament starts?
Sorel

Post by Sorel »

grab wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 6:25 pm I was one of the early sign up for this tournament, but have just looked at the list of players to find for some reason I have been removed. I don't think I upset anyone.
It seems the same happened to me; but with the difference I only checked it once more than a month ago, and today found I am not in the tournamet. A pity! perhaps in another occasion.
Cowboy00

Post by Cowboy00 »

Hi
I'm trying to play this tournament but I don't know if I'm doing it correctly. I have only been able to put the password as Syrian opponent. The other files that I can access ask me for a password as an American, but at no time have I been asked to enter a password as an American.
Could it be that my opponent hasn't started the tournament yet?
A Canadian Cat

Post by A Canadian Cat »

Cowboy00 wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 1:23 pm Hi
I'm trying to play this tournament but I don't know if I'm doing it correctly. I have only been able to put the password as Syrian opponent. The other files that I can access ask me for a password as an American, but at no time have I been asked to enter a password as an American.
It's all good. CM using it's builtin PBEM system forces each player to set a password as the first step. Depending on who starts one payer chooses the scenario and then the side and then sets a password and sends the file to the other player. That other player then just sets a password and returns the file. For a quick battle you set a password and choose your forces. Files go back and forth after that.

BFC are fitting that system into the tournament system from Slytherine. In that system the server picks the scenario and sets up two instances, one with each of the two players playing opposite sides. In order to make sure that each player is playing opposite sides for the tournament scenario. In that case the server is picking a password of blank for the side it is starting and then sending the first file to one of the players. It then starts a new instance of the same scenario for the other side and also sets the password to blank and sends the second turn to the other player. After that each player just exchanges files automatically via the server. The side effect of this is each player gets one of their files from the tournament as a just set a password and return. The recommendation is to set a blank password your self because the tournament system is taking care of security in this case.

Bottom line is it is expected and working fine. It's just a side effect of knitting the BFC PBEM system into the Slyterhine tournament system done in a way that didn't require reworking the entire start up code on BFC's side.
kensg70@gmail.com

Post by kensg70@gmail.com »

Hey Cowboy00,

I'm just as baffled as you about starting these scenarios. I'm also your opponent. :D You want to send me an email, & see if we can figure this out. I'd appreciate it.
terry1040

Post by terry1040 »

I am wondering what is going on with this tournament.

Initially (on April 6) I had 2 games linked to my account (john47).

First game, I was tasked to play the Syrian side, so I opened the file and proceeded beyond the password screen.
The game then automatically saved and disapperead from my list. I guess my opponent should have it, but I never saw any response since April 6.

The second game, playing the US side, I started in the same way, I did exchange a couple of turns with my opponent, but since 5 days my inbox remains empty.

As this is Beta-Testing the Tournament functionality:
Is this all normal? Shall I just wait a bit longer? Am I doing something wrong? :?:

I am using the CMSF2-Version purchased directly at battlefront.com.

BTW, is it normal, that I always have to re-enter my server password when I launch the game? This is a bit annoying, as copy/paste is not suported and I always have to retype it. :-)

Cheers
Terry
A Canadian Cat

Post by A Canadian Cat »

terry1040 wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 6:23 am I am wondering what is going on with this tournament.

Initially (on April 6) I had 2 games linked to my account (john47).

First game, I was tasked to play the Syrian side, so I opened the file and proceeded beyond the password screen.
The game then automatically saved and disapperead from my list. I guess my opponent should have it, but I never saw any response since April 6.

The second game, playing the US side, I started in the same way, I did exchange a couple of turns with my opponent, but since 5 days my inbox remains empty.

As this is Beta-Testing the Tournament functionality:
Is this all normal? Shall I just wait a bit longer? Am I doing something wrong? :?:
In a tournament turns you have played disappear from your list. That is normal. What you are seeing means you sent your turns to your opponent. Sorry your opponent is not more reliable.
terry1040 wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 6:23 am I am using the CMSF2-Version purchased directly at battlefront.com.
Same here - works great.
terry1040 wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 6:23 am BTW, is it normal, that I always have to re-enter my server password when I launch the game? This is a bit annoying, as copy/paste is not suported and I always have to retype it. :-)
Yeah, I'm not fond of that either. If you leave the game running it will retain the pw in memory. That might not be practical over a long time span. I wish paste would work, that the UI focus would start on the pw field and that the pw would be remembered between sessions. I get why they didn't save the pw because to do that securely that's a whole bunch of work they avoided doing :-)
SirMrspkr

Post by SirMrspkr »

HI Cowboy00. This is MrSpkr, your opponent in the CMSF2 tournament, second round. I have received the initial setup you sent with you as the Americans and me as the Syrians; however, I have not received the setup for the second game yet. I sent you that initial file on Friday, I believe. Once I get it, I will send both back. Given the limited amount of time, I don't think it is feasible to play the two games concurrently and, frankly, given teh nature of this tournament, I prefer to see both scenarios prior to sending the first turn. PM me if you want to discuss.
DirtyMark

Post by DirtyMark »

I am very new and inexperienced player of Shock Force 2 but played the early Combat Mission games. I suffered from a number of crashes when I tried to send my turn in the first round. I did not know about his forum and could not communicate with JakeD and the game just ended halfway through. I don’t know if it was a corrupt file or for some other reason.

I am supposed to be playing GonzoGamez in the second round but do not see away to start the game?
Dirty Mark
darzininkas

Post by darzininkas »

Hello,

Round 3 started, but I still have round 2 games unfinished which are on the my turn list. I tried make my turns for round 2 games, but they stay on the list and do not upload to the server. Do I suppose to be able to finish round 2 games or it is to late and I have to manually delete them from the game list?

Kind regards
anodai

Post by anodai »

Hello, I was advised to post here by Joe Miller from support@slitherine.com. I cannot open my game 3 Syria file, it says invalid password. I don't think I even had the opportunity to change my password since the prior round, as I've tried to change my US save password each round and have not been able to. I have not seen the deployment screen for that file or anything.

It was suggested that the game could be reset. Is this possible? Also, as that game, where I am Syria, has not yet started, would it be possible for us to reset/restart that game only? (Our other game, where I am US, is ongoing).

My opponent is currently in first place in the tournament, and I feel bad that this may affect him in some way.

Return to “Combat Mission Shock Force 2”