How not to attack at Merville: GC Franzauk vs Doramas

Post reports of your victories and defeats here to share them with other players.
franzauk

How not to attack at Merville: GC Franzauk vs Doramas

Post by franzauk »

After some mortars throwing he + smoke and with Vickers in support, I made a mad dash for the building in the bottom right. This was the inevitable result.

Interested to hear your opinion in how to be successful as Allies on this map.

And no, running over open ground is not my usual tactic.

Attachments
m1.jpg
m1.jpg (380.75 KiB) Viewed 218 times
GaryChildress

RE: How not to attack at Merville: GC Franzauk vs Doramas

Post by GaryChildress »

Wow franzauk! Definitely a lot of carnage there. [X(]

Where were your opponent's men positioned? I assume he had machine guns inside the houses, defending the village?

franzauk

Post by franzauk »

Deployed as follows.

Attachments
Copyofm1.jpg
Copyofm1.jpg (227.21 KiB) Viewed 218 times
franzauk

Post by franzauk »

The result of the battle.

Attachments
m2.jpg
m2.jpg (198.01 KiB) Viewed 218 times
Andrew Williams

Post by Andrew Williams »

See this thread

I eventually abandoned Merville as the cost was too high...
ImageImage
DasHoff

Post by DasHoff »

i beat this on h2h after 3 battles. 1st battle, he had two AA guns in gun pits up front at the start, which knocked out quite a few squads straight up before i mortared them. i grabbed the hedgerow from the trenches, and used my men there to lay down fire on the buildings, also i had guys in the haystacks laying fire on the buildings also. with some smoke, i managed to take the first couple of Descanville buildings, but i wasnt game to run down south across the field like you did. by attacking across the road up north of your pic, you avoid all the buildings behind the couple of front ones. after id taken those, i did run a squad down south like you did actually, and altho most of them died one guy knifed the entire mg squad which was sitting in the building behind the stone fence haha. thus ended my 1st battle.

2nd battle he didnt deploy in the southern town, there was no point as i already had a foothold, and wouldve owned him. he put his last AA gun in that house around the middle, and i came up from the right of the map to grab the little house next to it, lay smoke around the trenches, then rush the building from the right side, taking out the gun. those 2 building in th emiddle of themap are critical, cause thats what u will use to do the final assault on the bunkers. thus ended the 2nd battle.

3rd battle was storming across from those 2 buildings and taking the bunkers and trenches. the bunkers have useless LOS, so you can run right up to them and get inside before anyone can shoot at you. up close and personal combat is what paras do best.

hope this helped
Andrew Williams

Post by Andrew Williams »

The Bunkers have great LOS north, out over the Normandy beaches.
ImageImage
DasHoff

Post by DasHoff »

heres the 3 stages, black lines are suppressing fire, the yellow are attacks

FeurerKrieg

Post by FeurerKrieg »

Those bunker have great LOS in my opinion. The key to holding this map is to never put your 20mm guns anywhere except the bunkers. The bunker to the SE does have a blind spot towards town, but other than that, that bunkers can all pretty much cover each other. There are some very very narrow blind spots left, but the 20mm guns can do enough area fire around those that you'll kill plenty of guys.

Never put the 20mm in the buildings or out in the open - worst move you can do on that map. Maybe put one in the buildings until you lose the town, since you have 3 and can afford to lose one, but after that - only in the bunkers.
Upper portion used with permission of www.subart.net, copyright John Meeks

Return to “After Action Reports”