Dampsquib vs Dundradal - Der Ost Front GC

Post descriptions and reports of your brilliant successes and unfortunate defeats here.
Dundradal

RE: Dampsquib vs Dundradal - Der Ost Front GC

Post by Dundradal »

Results of battle

Attachments
battle1results.jpg
battle1results.jpg (127.96 KiB) Viewed 638 times
"To you, we are deeply grateful, and release what little hold we might, as Durandal, have had on your soul.
Go."
- Final Terminal Message Marathon Infinity
Dundradal

Post by Dundradal »

Here's a shot from the second battle on this map. I finally got a good gfx app that allows me to resize better than with MS Paint.

You can see my armor spread throughout the woods. There's an IS2 and ISU122 in the woods to the north. You can see a destroyed tank destroyer in the woods directly west of them.

To the south is a T-34 '43. Directly west of it you can see the aftermath of a small arms battle. When the game started I had a rifle team there and Damp had an infantry squad and flame tank deployed nearby. Directly west of the that infantry team (yellow bar) is a burned out MkIII flame tank. Somehow it brewed up right when the game started. I'm guessing it was my rifle squad, although they were engaged with the infantry squad immediately to the north.

To the south is the rest of armor deployed in support positions.

Attachments
action2.jpg
action2.jpg (196.93 KiB) Viewed 638 times
"To you, we are deeply grateful, and release what little hold we might, as Durandal, have had on your soul.
Go."
Dundradal

Post by Dundradal »

Same woods...12 minutes later.

The IS2 in the north is burning. Killed by the burning Panther directly to the west of it. It was immobilized by an AT team in the woods nearby. The ISU122 is immobilized as well. It is facing north and out of the action. I was moving it to using the IS2 and ISU122 to move along the northern edge of the woods and flank down behind Damp's forces. Instead my armor was destroyed by hidden AT units.

The T-35 '43 in the center in also burned out from a AT team in the woods. You can see that my rifle team is now dead. Although they are surrounded by German bodies as well.

At the very southern edge of this screen you can see my southern rifle squad moving on the gun pit. They would be killed to a man right in front of the VL by that German team and a tank that you cannot see at the moment.

Note all the tank wrecks from my offensive through this map. It's a meatgrinder...

Attachments
action21.jpg
action21.jpg (195.53 KiB) Viewed 638 times
Go."
Dundradal

Post by Dundradal »

Battle results...very bloody for the Germans.

Attachments
battle21results.jpg
battle21results.jpg (129.26 KiB) Viewed 638 times
Go."
Dundradal

Post by Dundradal »

Map results...very little change except near the road.

Attachments
battlemap2.jpg
battlemap2.jpg (79.29 KiB) Viewed 638 times
Go."
Dundradal

Post by Dundradal »

Action shot from the next day on the same map. (I love using this new app! Action shots are so much more fun!)

You can now more clearly see Damp's flame tank wreck in the woods west of the pillbox VL. You will also notice I brewed up the Panther to the north that killed by IS2.

You can see my armor deployed around the town. Damp is dropping heavy mortars in after laying down a smoke screen. I held on for bit but then Damp broke through my lines in the north and swung down from the pillbox VL. (You'll see the results on the map).

It was the beginning of the end on this map.

Attachments
action3.jpg
action3.jpg (197.93 KiB) Viewed 640 times
Go."
Dundradal

Post by Dundradal »

Map results

Attachments
batlle22map.jpg
batlle22map.jpg (75.39 KiB) Viewed 640 times
Go."
Dundradal

Post by Dundradal »

Battle results...costly for both sides again...

Attachments
battle22results.jpg
battle22results.jpg (129.68 KiB) Viewed 640 times
Go."
Dundradal

Post by Dundradal »

Operational Results after last battle...

Attachments
currentop..fter22.jpg
currentop..fter22.jpg (140.16 KiB) Viewed 640 times
Go."
Dundradal

Post by Dundradal »

I was forced to flee after reviewing my BG after the last battle.

This map is dominated by the bridge and ford in the south and the small peninsula in the north. I thought about deploying armor or heavy AT on the peninsula but instead deployed ISU152, T-34/85 and 76mm AT in town in the north. I only deployed a full LMG squad on the peninsula as a set of eyes on the crossing.

I had a few other tanks in the woods to the south near the pillbox and road. I've also got a rifle squad along with an ISU122 near where the road forks. Right at the marshes edge I've got a sniper hidden in the trees. He would be good mostly for harassment this time although he did spot the enemy for my armor to bring fire support onto the bridge.

Damp did earn a bridgehead and not at too bloody a cost.

Attachments
battle3map.jpg
battle3map.jpg (89.29 KiB) Viewed 640 times
Go."
Dundradal

Post by Dundradal »

Results of his crossing...

Attachments
battle3results.jpg
battle3results.jpg (131.71 KiB) Viewed 643 times
Go."
Dundradal

Post by Dundradal »

Tonight's map of choice...

Damp earned a larger bridgehead by sneaking some troops into the woods via the swamp waters south of the bridge. An ISU122 stationed in the group of buildings to the north managed to pick off a Tiger but not before suffering some moderate damage in return.

There was a moderate level of combat in the woods to the south with the Russians coming out on top...this round.

Attachments
battle1map.jpg
battle1map.jpg (89.56 KiB) Viewed 643 times
Go."
Dundradal

Post by Dundradal »

He paid for the advancement. The woods were not friendly...

Attachments
battle1results.jpg
battle1results.jpg (130.71 KiB) Viewed 643 times
Go."
Dundradal

Post by Dundradal »

This day Damp really paid for expanding the bridgehead. I surrounded the tip of his bridgehead with 4 infantry squads and an MG team in the pillbox VL. I had armor stationed in the woods to the north out of LOS. The town had a 76mm AT, 152mm field gun, ISU122 and command T-34 '43.

95% of the damage was done by the infantry teams in the woods to the south. Mortars were also crucial to both sides in the engagement. We both dropped danger close on our troopers in order to gain some advantage over our opponent. This round Damp took the best of it but did manage to enlarge his lodgement. You'll see notice that in the results page.

Attachments
battle11map.jpg
battle11map.jpg (88.01 KiB) Viewed 643 times
Go."
Dundradal

Post by Dundradal »

The results of the day's battle...

Attachments
battle11results.jpg
battle11results.jpg (132.28 KiB) Viewed 643 times
Go."
Dundradal

Post by Dundradal »

The next day's battle...an interesting day!

This is from the first minute and half of this battle. Note already the large number of German dead in the woods. Northwest of those bodies are two burnt out jagdpanther(?) tank destroyers. To the north of them is a command IS2 and a brown IS1. I've added color to show which tank killed which TD. The IS2 has the gray lines on the left side of it to denote it was immobilized by one of the TDs.

The three infantry squads in the woods are positioned to hold the line against any big moves by Damp....

Attachments
battle12action.jpg
battle12action.jpg (198.67 KiB) Viewed 643 times
Go."
Dundradal

Post by Dundradal »

Almost exactly 5 minutes later.

Note the lack of my teams in the woods. There is only one man left in the rifle squad still remaining and he would die about 10 seconds after this image.

I managed to kill the command halftrack in the south (it was in the first image, my bad for not pointing it out).

Damp would exploit the fact that my infantry was gone, my IS2 immobilized and the ISU152 without a machine gun.

I was forced to retire north of the road and this is where our session for tonight ended.

Attachments
battle12action1.jpg
battle12action1.jpg (199.42 KiB) Viewed 643 times
Go."
Dundradal

Post by Dundradal »

Final map results

Attachments
battle12map.jpg
battle12map.jpg (84.54 KiB) Viewed 643 times
Go."
Dundradal

Post by Dundradal »

He got me back sort of for that whopping of 2 days prior here...but I still made him pay.

Attachments
battle12results.jpg
battle12results.jpg (130.42 KiB) Viewed 643 times
Go."
Dundradal

Post by Dundradal »

After a short break we are back with news from the front.

I forgot to grab shots of our first battle of the night which was the last battle of the op. So here's the operational results.

He did pretty well for the swampy conditions.

Attachments
operation1results.jpg
operation1results.jpg (143.79 KiB) Viewed 643 times
Go."

Return to “After Action Reports”