1st AAR: Operation Market Garden

Post descriptions of your brilliant successes and unfortunate demises.
TAIL GUNNER

RE: Bloody Grave

Post by TAIL GUNNER »

Nice one Gary..

Hey, do me a favor..

See if your XXX Corps units can cross the bridges at Son and Best even though they are showing as being repaired.

My units were able to cross, but I thought the wrench symbol meant it had already been repaired and thus I did not take a screen shot..

Chad
"If you want peace, prepare for war."
Andrew Williams

Post by Andrew Williams »

Wrench means they are still being repaired ... so you should not be able to Cross.
ImageImage
TAIL GUNNER

Post by TAIL GUNNER »

Wrench means they are still being repaired ... so you should not be able to Cross.

Right, but in my campaign, XXX Corps BGs were able to cross while the bridges were being repaired, and kept all their vehicles and armor......

I was unaware at the time of what the wrench symbol actually meant...so I'm hoping Gary can confirm or deny it's working right.
Andrew Williams

I'm waiting on his answer too :)
ImageImage
para

Post by para »

Hi Guys
what settings are people using on the GC? timer countdown/control all VL's etc?

cheers

btw i'm using the rush attack tactic on the bridges now too

ps should i lock the BG's?
Andrew Williams

personal choice

20min
2 min timer after all VL's taken
morale on
ImageImage
Southernland

Post by Southernland »

15 min (mostly cos I'm out of ammo by 14:30 most times)
2 min timer after all VL's taken
morale on
¡¡ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq oʇ ƃuıoƃ ɯɐ ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
GaryChildress

Post by GaryChildress »

ORIGINAL: para

Hi Guys
what settings are people using on the GC? timer countdown/control all VL's etc?

cheers

btw i'm using the rush attack tactic on the bridges now too

ps should i lock the BG's?

I started my campaign with 60 minute timer on. I really don't need all that much time trying to take the bridges, however, I think it should make things interesting when the Germans counterattack. It allows more time for maneuver. I used to play CC with no timer at all. I would basically keep going until all VLs were taken or else morale got too low.
GaryChildress

Post by GaryChildress »

ORIGINAL: Juggalo

Nice one Gary..

Hey, do me a favor..

See if your XXX Corps units can cross the bridges at Son and Best even though they are showing as being repaired.

My units were able to cross, but I thought the wrench symbol meant it had already been repaired and thus I did not take a screen shot..

Chad

I'll definitely check it out. I'm guessing you mean they were able to cross on the strategic map or are you also talking about watching them cross the river on the tactical map?
sprior

Post by sprior »

Excellent AAR! I'll get round to playing this game (again) soon.
"Grown ups are what's left when skool is finished."
"History started badly and hav been geting steadily worse."
- Nigel Molesworth.

TAIL GUNNER

Post by TAIL GUNNER »

I'll definitely check it out. I'm guessing you mean they were able to cross on the strategic map or are you also talking about watching them cross the river on the tactical map?

Yes, on the strategic map.
jomni

Post by jomni »

ORIGINAL: Gary Childress
I started my campaign with 60 minute timer on. I really don't need all that much time trying to take the bridges, however, I think it should make things interesting when the Germans counterattack. It allows more time for maneuver. I used to play CC with no timer at all. I would basically keep going until all VLs were taken or else morale got too low.

Meh! There are some battles when I just sat there waiting for an attack that did not happen (as German defenders). I eneded up reading a book for 15 minutes. What more 60 minutes? The enemy tac AI might be a bit too aggressive (using Japanese banzai tactics lol!) but there are times that they just stood back.
GaryChildress

Post by GaryChildress »

ORIGINAL: jomni
ORIGINAL: Gary Childress

Meh! There are some battles when I just sat there waiting for an attack that did not happen (as German defenders). I eneded up reading a book for 15 minutes. What more 60 minutes? The enemy tac AI might be a bit too aggressive (using Japanese banzai tactics lol!) but there are times that they just stood back.

True. Usually I play the attacker or aggressively defend near enough to the enemy's starting position that I see action pretty quick. So most of the time I haven't had that much problem. It's only when the enemy starts in a small corner of the map and then I set up a defense on the opposite far corner that it seems the enemy doesn't attack at all. The reason I've usually chosen long battles is that when I am attacking it gives me the chance to feel my way around the enemy and out flank him if possible. If I make the battles 15 minutes then it's just a mad dash to secure VLs. That loses its novelty after a while.
chiroho

Post by chiroho »

True. Usually I play the attacker or aggressively defend near enough to the enemy's starting position that I see action pretty quick. So most of the time I haven't had that much problem. It's only when the enemy starts in a small corner of the map and then I set up a defense on the opposite far corner that it seems the enemy doesn't attack at all. The reason I've usually chosen long battles is that when I am attacking it gives me the chance to feel my way around the enemy and out flank him if possible. If I make the battles 15 minutes then it's just a mad dash to secure VLs. That loses its novelty after a while.

I've nearly always played 30 minute battles for that reason - you get the opportunity to feel your way around the map better, and don't have to just "charge the guns" as sometimes seems required on shorter maps. However, when playing the Grossdeutschland mod for CC3, they explicitly stated that the maps were designed for 20 minutes of play, and it definitely worked out that way. So I started playing with some shorter map times, and it seems to have worked out okay.

In Last Stand Arnhem, I chose 15 minutes because I was playing the Germans, and knew I'd be on the defensive a lot of the time. And on several maps I've really just sat there and waited for something to happen- particularly since I've often just deployed my forces to protect the bridge, or the route the Allies will need to take. But I do normally like a bit more time to manoeuvre, and can see why you'd want the longer timeline.
GaryChildress

Heumen: Another Bloody Bridge

Post by GaryChildress »

OK. Next battle. Once again I've stacked my BG with rifle teams in order to stage a bridge rush.

Attachments
1.jpg
1.jpg (195.65 KiB) Viewed 236 times
GaryChildress

RE: Heumen: Another Bloody Bridge

Post by GaryChildress »

This one looks pretty simple. The distance is short and the enemy BG is particularly weak except for the two MG42 teams.

Attachments
2.jpg
2.jpg (184.05 KiB) Viewed 233 times
GaryChildress

Post by GaryChildress »

OK men! You know the routine. When you get to the bridge cut every wire you see.

CHARGE!!

Attachments
3.jpg
3.jpg (267.13 KiB) Viewed 233 times
GaryChildress

Post by GaryChildress »

I'm really starting to wonder if I shouldn't just let the bridges blow? The casualties my teams are taking just don't seem to be worth it. I'm not going to have enough purchase points come next turn. [:(]

The MG 42 on the opposite bank of the river, across from my men is tearing my teams apart!

Attachments
4.jpg
4.jpg (221.2 KiB) Viewed 233 times
GaryChildress

Post by GaryChildress »

To make a long story short...we have the bridge. I manage to send a few teams around to some of the other VLs on the map to improve my position a little. The Germans are almost out of men and request a truce. I decide to give them the opportunity to collect their wounded and I collect mine. Another victory but my BG is going to be very badly depleted next turn.

Attachments
5.jpg
5.jpg (235.82 KiB) Viewed 233 times
GaryChildress

Post by GaryChildress »

Axis lose 11 men. I lose 17. But I secured another bridge.

Attachments
6.jpg
6.jpg (91.74 KiB) Viewed 233 times

Return to “After Action Reports”