BUG-Rank not displayed ingame for certain units

Post bug reports and ask for game support here.
Aetius2

BUG-Rank not displayed ingame for certain units

Post by Aetius2 »

Hi,
I've noticed a bug where the rank image is not displayed ingame for certain units, see screenshot an attach.
I've looked into the problem a bit deeper and noticed that if the first soldier of the unit in the "soldier type 0" column is coded as 0 (Basic Soldier) or as 2 (Tank, Gun or Mortar Crew) the rank image isn't displayed ingame.

Aetius
Attachments
Bug-Rank not displayed ingame.jpg
Bug-Rank not displayed ingame.jpg (1.69 MiB) Viewed 594 times
Kanov

Re: BUG-Rank not displayed ingame for certain units

Post by Kanov »

Aetius,

If you press space-bar you will notice the "command radius" of units, all units that do not have command radius will not show a rank in the soldier monitor. Privates do not have command radius and so the rank does not appear in the soldier monitor.

Considering the above, I think this is not a bug but a weird design choice because If on the one hand the game is showing the rank of the commander officer that the selected unit is subordinated to, then the rank in soldier monitor should change in real time if the selected unit is inside the circle of a higher ranking unit. If on the other hand it shows the selected unit's own officer or NCO rank, then it should show it everytime even if it's a private. As it is now you must treat it not as a visual aid that shows you the rank of the unit leader but as an aid to know if it has a command radius. And as such I do not consider it a bug but to me as it is currently it gives me no useful info. In CC3 it allowed me to see if the current unit was inside or outside command radius of a commander, thus I would expect its battle performance to be accordingly and so I would have a real expectation of the unit, if it would stand or break under pressure. Also it was a factor in where to move units in battle.

Why it was decided to give every squad a command radius and show the rank of the selected unit and then only if it draws a circle? I don't know, as I said, I don't find it more useful than other options. Outline options gives you more tips in figuring out "independence" of unit actions.

To improve this feature, using what was previously possible and thus potentially still there on the code somewhere I would suggest that:
-Only Platoon/Company leaders have command radius
-Expand the actual radius of the circle. The current circle drawings are too small. Make it AT LEAST 2x bigger.
-In the soldier monitor show the selected unit rank AND the command rank if said selected unit is inside the command circle of a platoon/company leader.

To further expand these features, Ideally I would like that:
-Units outside the command radius of leaders cannot receive orders or the orders have a delay in execution.
-Further, units that are inside a commander radius but it is not their assigned platoon commander ( in the BG screen) orders get delayed too. For example, if a rifle unit from 1st platoon is inside the radius of the commander of 2nd platoon, then orders have an x amount of delay in miliseconds, if under command of the leader of first platoon then there's no delay.
-Taking into account the things previously mentioned, Company commanders should either have no delay or have a delay with every unit.
Hard-core Spectre

Return to “Tech Support”