Mortars Vs tanks

Post bug reports and ask for game support here.
Aetius2

Mortars Vs tanks

Post by Aetius2 »

Hi Steve,

In my Radzymin mod i use 120 mm mortar teams for germans and soviets, each team has 2 tubes.
Some H2H players use multiple mortar teams to immobilize tanks by pounding them incessantly.

I want to discourage this behaviour by making the chance of this happening very low or none existent.
I would like to do this without changing my 120 mm mortar data, i know if i decrease its "kill rating"(Penetration potential of mm steel) it won't happen as much, but for all other mortar use the data is perfect as it is.

I've already increased "top armor" on all tanks more than historically correct, but it still happens.

Do following settings have an impact on vulnerability Vs incoming mortar rounds?

-"Vehicle size", how larger the size of the vehicle how greater the chance of mortar round landing on top of it?

-"object size" (element radius), this is your explanation of this setting posted in the forum:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Object size effects spotting (bigger is easier) and it defines how much space the game things the vehicle occupies on the map. As I recall > small size means it takes up all the elements around the element it is located in. > med means it takes up another ring of elements beyond that. It is basically a way to help the game try and line up vehicle graphics with the map and not have the vehicle clipping into buildings and things as much.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Does this setting have an influence on how much mortar rounds land on top if it, i.e. the more elements the tank occupies the larger the target is (viewed from the top)?

Or is there another way to solve my problem by adjusting other data settings?

Thanks in advance.

Aetius
SteveMcClaire

Re: Mortars Vs tanks

Post by SteveMcClaire »

Immobilization or other damage (MGs or guns damaged) can happen from the blast of high caliber HE landing nearby a vehicle. It doesn't take a direct hit. The only data you can change to influence this is to reduce the blast radius and/or blast rating of the HE rounds.

You might consider some alternative methods of discouraging this:

1) A 120mm mortar team traveling on foot is only going to be able to carry a few rounds of ammunition with them. Say 2-4 rounds per ammo man at best. Only having a few rounds will make it less likely the player will spend them trying to immobilize vehicles, and limit the number of times they can do this even if they do.

2) The minimum range of the German and Soviet 120mm mortars was (from memory) something like 400m. So you could easily give them a minimum range of ~200m without anyone being able to complain too much. This would limit their utility as on-map assets. Players would need to think about whether they have enough space on-map to deploy them.

3) You could adjust the weapon accuracy and/or rate of fire of the 120mm mortar so it's less likely to hit near a vehicle and/or gives the player more time to move their vehicles once they realizes they're being targeted.

And you might suggest to the players 'hey, don't bunch up your tanks in a big clump.'
Aetius2

Re: Mortars Vs tanks

Post by Aetius2 »

Thanks very much for your explanation and proposals, much appreciated.

I'll first experiment with the blast radius to see if a small reduction will have a significant effect in immobilisation of targetted tanks.

Return to “Tech Support”