Good practices when modding.

Post new mods and scenarios here.
Kanov

Good practices when modding.

Post by Kanov »

I would like to know from more experienced modders of Pitf how they keep errors to a minimum?

Specially with the unit structure file. I gather you have to modify existing rows rather than trying to create them from scratch? I tried to make it from 0 but the game wont even load lol. Now I'm modifying existing entries but I get confused.

Would like to know how to create the unitstructure from scratch with out crashing the game. And the new forcepool data. The other files are easier now with out the unknown columns.

Good practices in general.
Hard-core Spectre
Cathartes

RE: Good practices when modding.

Post by Cathartes »

go slow, back-up files, be patient, change one thing at a time and then test. rinse/repeat. as you get more proficient you can cut corners, work faster, and make fewer mistakes. the unitstructure.txt has a lot of organizational dimension to it, so be careful you don't fall down a rabbit hole.
Kanov

Post by Kanov »

Thanks for responding Cathartes.

Is there a way to test unit by unit in Pitf? This inter-relationship between unit organization is driving me mad [:D].

Is kind of fun though.
Hard-core Spectre
Cathartes

Post by Cathartes »

Is there a way to test unit by unit in Pitf? This inter-relationship between unit organization is driving me mad

most infantry is organzied by team/squad/platoon/company. Start backward from a battlegroup with specific numbered company and begin by fiddling around within the company going down to platoon to squad depending on what you want to tweak, add, move around, etc.
SteveMcClaire

Post by SteveMcClaire »

ORIGINAL: Kanov
Is there a way to test unit by unit in Pitf? This inter-relationship between unit organization is driving me mad [:D].

Create a unit at the company level, with platoons and squads, and then edit Fpools.txt to add this company to an existing battlegroup. Create a custom battle involving this battlegroup and play it single player. You can see how your unit came out on the Battlgroup screen.

Steve
Kanov

Post by Kanov »

Thanks for the tips guys.
Hard-core Spectre

Return to “Mods and Scenarios”