M20 And Grehound Frontal Penetration?

Post bug reports and ask for game support here.
vobbnobb

M20 And Grehound Frontal Penetration?

Post by vobbnobb »

A have a bunch of questions.
Can an mg42/34, stg-44, mp-40 or german rifles penetrate the Greyhound or M20 Frontal? Assuming the vehicles were properly buttoned and crew hidden inside? The hatches look pretty thick so I'm thinking no.
But if so I would like to learn more about how thick the fold down hatch flap armor was in mm?
How far would the mg-42 have to be for it to bounce off?
Also what about sides?
SchnelleMeyer

RE: M20 And Grehound Frontal Penetration?

Post by SchnelleMeyer »

I dont know about the armor thickness of those ACs, but penetration data from [left][font=arial]"Encyclopedia of German Tanks of World War[/font][/left][font=arial]Two", By two of the most respected authors on the subject[/font]
[font=arial]Doyle and Jentz[/font]

Says 7,92 Smk (AP-ammunition) used in MG 34, 42 and Mauser 98k penetrates 8mm armor plate set at 30degrees from vertical at 100m and 3mm at 500m.

Stg-44 is 7,92x33 so its a lot weaker cartridge - i dont have data for, but you can look up AK-47 data - it will be very similar regarding performance vs armor. It will have less pen than the full rifle cartridge.

Mp-40 is 9mm - It wont pen any armoured car. - It fires just lead ammo and its not armor penetrating.
vobbnobb

Post by vobbnobb »

Thanks for chiming in schnellemeyer, Now All I need is the thickness of the frontal m20/greyhound hatches, from the pictures I see it looks more than 8mm
SchnelleMeyer

Post by SchnelleMeyer »

From Wikipedia:
The frontal, sloped hull armor varied in thickness from 0.5 inches to 0.75 inches (15.8 to 19 mm) The side and rear hull armor, also sloped but slightly less so than the front, was 0.375 inches (9.5 mm) thick. The top armor was 0.25 inches (6.4 mm) thick, as was the floor. The turret was comparatively better protected than the hull, being 0.75 inches (19 mm) thick all around, with an 0.25-inch (6.4 mm) partial roof. The cast, rounded gun shield was uniformly 1 inch (25.4 mm) thick.

There us also a link to a page that details this even more.
SteveMcClaire

Post by SteveMcClaire »

The Greyhound's armor should stand up to small arms from just about any angle. In Close Combat terms you can check the game data (see tm.asp?m=3244271 ) to see what vehicle armor and weapon penetration values are being used.

Steve

vobbnobb

Post by vobbnobb »

Thank you both tremendously, If you run across any further info on the topic please share here.

Return to “Tech Support”