Unit size/order of battle inconsistency

Close Combat: Gateway to Caen is the latest release in the critically-acclaimed Close Combat series and focuses on the largest, concentrated British offensive since the Normandy landings in an attempt to penetrate the German lines west of Caen and cross the Odon River to get the stalled advance moving again.
dhhd

Unit size/order of battle inconsistency

Post by dhhd »

I'm playing the Good Hunting scenario as the British, about 1/3 of the way in. I've noticed that, contrary to the manual (which states that the size of the unit determines the number of active teams), there's often no rhyme or reason to it. Some battalion-size units deploy more troops than others, and I've seen at least one German company-size KG with a full order of battle.

What's up with this?
mickxe5

RE: Unit size/order of battle inconsistency

Post by mickxe5 »

Some German Btn BGs are understrength. Battlegroups can be merged (18.9.5) to increase the number of active team slots available to them. Battlegroups can lose available team slots through attrition. You can view a BGs order of battle in the Editor by selecting it then clicking the Battlegroup Info button. Or by opening the /Data/Base/FPools.txt file.
dhhd

Post by dhhd »

What explains the company-size units with 2 full platoons and a full 7 support units, though?
mickxe5

Post by mickxe5 »

Although the icon for HQ SS-Pz.Pio.Btl.12 indicates it is 'company-sized' it is actually an ad hoc battalion. [1.Kompanie (Ersatz); 2.Kompanie (Ersatz); 3.Kompanie; (Ersatz); SS-Pz.Pio.BattalionsStab; Ersatz Flak Batterie (SS)].

In the screenshot below I have merged HQ SS-Pz.Pio.Btl.12 with two btn-sized BGs to achieve the maximum # of active team slots.

Attachments
merge.jpg
merge.jpg (53.66 KiB) Viewed 333 times
mickxe5

Post by mickxe5 »

And as it turns out, the KG Groetschel/ 12.SS-Panzer icon is shown as a company-sized BG but that battlegroup is actually regimental-sized with all 21 team slots available by default. So the case can be made that some icon unit sizes are wrong.

Return to “Close Combat - Gateway to Caen”