Thinking of buying

Close Combat: Gateway to Caen is the latest release in the critically-acclaimed Close Combat series and focuses on the largest, concentrated British offensive since the Normandy landings in an attempt to penetrate the German lines west of Caen and cross the Odon River to get the stalled advance moving again.
Phoenix100

Thinking of buying

Post by Phoenix100 »

I was considering dipping my toe in CC waters again. I have PitF, but never play it, not because of the AI issues, or pathing, or any of those things, but because the maps are not historically accurate, as far as I can make out by comparing actual maps, period or modern, with those in the game. Some are better than others, most look a little like a sort of representation of the terrain, but usually scaled down, I think. I didn't find one that looked spot on, a 1:1 representation of the actual terrain as best as can be done from period maps - though didn't check them all, to be honest.

So, my question, if anyone can help - are the maps in GTC better than in PitF, by which I only mean, are they historically accurate maps? I like the graphics well enough - indeed, I think the style is very beautiful - I just want to know if they're accurate and certainly more accurate than PitF?

Thanks,

Peter
zakblood

RE: Thinking of buying

Post by zakblood »

no idea on that question tbh, but was on the beta at the time of development and one of the best games out at the time and in the series for me
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
Phoenix100

Post by Phoenix100 »

Thanks, Zak. Anyone who can answer the question about the maps?

Or Zak, can you post a nice screen grab of Cheux, as much of the map as you can, then I can check for myself! [:)]
chemkid

Post by chemkid »

Phoenix100

Post by Phoenix100 »

Many thanks, chemkid. In fact, I already bought and the maps are superb. They are actually almost exact copies, at least the maps I've looked at so far, of aerial photos of the battlefield. Really excellent work. And, that said, my first problem was going to be - they are too large for the forces available!!! Too large to represent historical platoon combat, I mean. Most maps would need at least a company frontage, some a Bn. So I'll get the small map mod at once, as that will solve that!

Thanks again!

Peter
chemkid

Post by chemkid »

Phoenix100

Post by Phoenix100 »

Thanks. Got it from the other link on the page. It's a great mod, though casualties do then become very high and the effect of a prep barrage can be decisive.

Return to “Close Combat - Gateway to Caen”